Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The Asian series is fairly meaningless though this time around, it's a hugely budget series. And the addition of the UAE circuit to the 2010 GP2 calendar means that there's even less call for it next year - even tracks in the middle east are abandoning it.

Most of the drivers announced in the main series are new though, which is a bit of a shame as there are good experienced drivers out there, but I think that's really the recession kicking in. I wonder what'll happen to all the old drivers now A1GP's dead.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I suppose it's a tough balancing act - keep too many old hands in and some people will say 'oh, Pantano and Filippi are past it' but conversely you've gotta wonder where they go if nothing opens up in F1 or in the States. I understand Giorgio Pantano was racing Renault Meganes last year, which seems ridiculous. Personally, I can't keep up with the throughput of young rookies nowadays! *laughs*

The old hands generally seem to end up racing sportscars - every time I see any GT stuff it's full of ex F3000 guys.
    "Of course, what many people tend to forget is that Glen Richards was 2nd in the 1993 Australian 125cc championship" - Jack Burnicle on BSB at Snetterton, June 2008

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    In my view something very important is missing in European open-wheel racing and this is an alternative series to F1. I mean why should a driver, who has for his whole life dreamed of racing in open-wheelers, give it up and go to sports/touring cars straight after feeder series after failing to get into F1 (where only a few chosen ones get), while the heart is elsewhere?

At the moment if a driver leaves a junior series or has dropped out of F1, the only options are either American "openwheelers" or racing cars with a roof. IMO European-based racing world should have a respected open-wheel series, where 30+ drivers can really make a realistic career. All those Davidsons, Kliens, just sit as reserve drivers doing nothing - then they would at least have a meaningful series to race in and keep themselves fit for a possible F1 return. Recently it has been complained, how "drivers have not raced for 3 years, so how on earth are they supposed to successfully return to F1?" An alternative open-wheel series would be a great option also to oldies like de la Rosa, Schumacher, Villeneuve, now also Fisichella, etc to keep racing in the type of cars they love most.

I think A1GP was in this respect a decent alternative, but alas it has disappeared. Maybe Superleague Formula is taking over that role? But it still doesn't have a decent reputation to attract drivers and media attention.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki Katz
    RIP Durango

Yeah, I think that Addax have a great lineup for next year, but at first glance ART have an awful one. Bird? Why??? Well, maybe he'll prove me wrong.

Well... maybe NWR might field the vacated Durango's spot. They recently
    shut down their operations. Their options include fielding John Edwards
    with only 1 car in the Indy Lights series. But on the other hand, they
    are also looking for the GP2 route. If so, they can bring Edwards. And
    possibly Hildebrand. Summerton is eyeing the Formula 2 series.

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki Katz
    RIP Durango
    Durango, despite their troubles, still lives as a team. They'll move their activities to Auto GP (series that uses ex-Lola A1GP cars) for this season.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hang on, did Herck just nearly win a race? Ok, that was thanks to finishing from a 7th place yesterday which he should really have been disqualified from for twice punting cars off the track, but all the same!

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    I see that the signings of various Gravity-drivers (Vietoris to RE, Tung and d'Ambrosio to DAMS) have gone unmentioned here. :

Herck? IMO he showed signs of improvement in late-09, so I wouldn't be surprised if he managed to put together a more competitive campaign this year.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    I see that the signings of various Gravity-drivers (Vietoris to RE, Tung and d'Ambrosio to DAMS) have gone unmentioned here. :

Herck? IMO he showed signs of improvement in late-09, so I wouldn't be surprised if he managed to put together a more competitive campaign this year.
    Its not confirmed but you can probably be sure that he'll be back at DPR again this year

LINEUP SO FAR (including Herck)

ART GRAND PRIX: 1. Jules Bianchi, 2. Sam Bird
    BARWA ADDAX: 3. Giedo van der Garde, 4. Sergio Perez
    SUPER NOVA: 5. Marcus Ericsson, 6. Josef Kral
    RACING ENGINEERING: 7. Dani Clos, 8. Christian Vietoris
    iSPORT: 9. Oliver Turvey, 10. Davide Valsecchi
    DAMS/RENAULT JUNIOR: 11. Jerome d'Ambrosis, 12. Ho-Pin Tung
    RAPAX: 14. ???, 15. ???
    OCEAN: 16. Max Chilton, 17. Fabio Leimer
    ARDEN: 18. Charles Pic, 19. ???
    COLONI: 20. Alberto Valerio, 21. ???
    TRIDENT: 24. ???, 25. ???
    DPR: 26. Michael Herck, 27. ???
    "Alboreto, into the pits, and im going to stop the startwatch" (Murray Walker, Monaco 1987)

Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DazzlaF1
    Its not confirmed but you can probably be sure that he'll be back at DPR again this year

LINEUP SO FAR (including Herck)

ART GRAND PRIX: 1. Jules Bianchi, 2. Sam Bird
    BARWA ADDAX: 3. Giedo van der Garde, 4. Sergio Perez
    SUPER NOVA: 5. Marcus Ericsson, 6. Josef Kral
    RACING ENGINEERING: 7. Dani Clos, 8. Christian Vietoris
    iSPORT: 9. Oliver Turvey, 10. Davide Valsecchi
    DAMS/RENAULT JUNIOR: 11. Jerome d'Ambrosis, 12. Ho-Pin Tung
    RAPAX: 14. ???, 15. ???
    OCEAN: 16. Max Chilton, 17. Fabio Leimer
    ARDEN: 18. Charles Pic, 19. ???
    COLONI: 20. Alberto Valerio, 21. ???
    TRIDENT: 24. ???, 25. ???
    DPR: 26. Michael Herck, 27. ???

To my knowledge from team-personel at iSport then Davide Valsecchi is not confirmed at iSport for the main series. But his chances are good.

Dani Clos is not either confirmed yet at RE, even though he is likely to get it.
    Supporting Ogier in the WRC & Ferrari in F1 & Ducati in MotoGP.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Scratch Edwards from the list. He will do Grand Am GT