Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

When we disagree

I went to the Art Centre in Melbourne today, and one of the items that impressed me most was an etching by Rembrandt entitled "Two men disputing" - it showed two old guys arguing over something, very animated, yet it was obvious they were lifelong friends.

I thought right away :"That's what I'd like our forum to be". Why would anyone come here just to agree with everyone else? The point is to have a sensible argument, animated often, but without any malice, or anyone patronising others just to show how intelligent, informed, knowledgeable they are in order to point out how ignorant some others here in this forum are.

I would have tacked this post onto the "protocol" thread, but unfortunately, that has been locked.

Does this make any sense to anyone else here?
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    @Valve...my two cents on this

I think this forum is one of the best places where you can have a sane,sensible discussion most of the time...I'm not saying this forum is perfect but it has the right mix of fun + discussions about racing which make it so very nice to visit...

But if you go to other forums,I don't think you will find this level of discussions nor have so much fun... I have a discussion forum on cricket and trust me the discussions get more animated and more posts are filled with malice than this forum...esp when you are talking about India / Pakistan rivalry with the traditional bias.

I understand the point you've made though...what you've stated does come under the ideal situation but this is a pretty ideal forum to me.
    Kimi :beer: Motorcycle racing :up:
    Look How Bad you Are :cheese:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There are a lot of insulting going around in this forum. The key is people don't use curse words, but in their sarcasm and analogies, which to me is worse than name calling. I know I'm not completely innocent either. But just read the threads existing in the general section right now that involves political issues.

A while ago I proposed a separate section in the rally forums for the purpose of bashing drivers. Now I proposed having a separate section topics involving alcohol, crime, political, religion. A section specifically for dispute and disagreements.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I think forum is place which we learn each other from, discussion on forum is to put forward opinion or anything we know which may be useful for others and on the other hand we may learn something new from others. Know how to listen and you will profit, even from those who talk badly...

If we have to be at cross of someone's opinion, believe it's only part of proses of learning. We may find each of us different on saying or defending opinion. Some of us may often use it by allusion in order to tease others. Don't take it too personal if that happens against our thought.

I can say if it comes to something like political views, I'd rather consider that we only try to make a fun of it. Mostly we go to vote only if we can get up early...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

when we disagree

In the words of a famous American Rodney King "why can we all just get along"

Liked 39 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harsha
    I think this forum is one of the best places where you can have a sane,sensible discussion most of the time...I'm not saying this forum is perfect but it has the right mix of fun + discussions about racing which make it so very nice to visit...

But if you go to other forums,I don't think you will find this level of discussions nor have so much fun... I have a discussion forum on cricket and trust me the discussions get more animated and more posts are filled with malice than this forum....

I understand the point you've made though...what you've stated does come under the ideal situation but this is a pretty ideal forum to me.
    Me too, otherwise I wouldn't bother returning to it on occassion. Though I'm not that inclined to stay on for hours on end.

Quote Originally Posted by racefanfromnj
    In the words of a famous American Rodney King "why can we all just get along"
    What a riot!... OOOPS!
    FIDO - Forget It, Drive On

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Well, we now see a classic example of the main problem with these forums — specifically the F1 one, in the Brazilian GP/WDC threads. Differing opinions are all very well and to be encouraged, but sadly I have come to the view that certain individuals, one in particular, are utterly unable to put them across in a sensible manner. I like to discuss motorsport with fellow enthusiasts. Not everyone here can be classed as such.

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    to be fair, there is often a good deal of baiting going on from the other side of the Channel too
    It's so easy to use the ignore - most of the time

United in diversity !!!

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donKey jote
    to be fair, there is often a good deal of baiting going on from the other side of the Channel too
    It's so easy to use the ignore - most of the time
    But when the poster in question comes to dominate the thread, there is a bigger problem. Unfortunately I think that some people are utterly unable to conduct themselves in a manner conducive to sensible discussion, and that the moderators ought to realise this.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    What moderators? The F1 championship was decided earlier today, emotions are running high, and yet there's no moderators to be seen. As a result, one individual is running amok posting the most idiotic drivel imaginable then playing the victim the moment they're called on it.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u