Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 341 Times in 189 Posts

"Star Driver" programmes. Do they work?

With the current Pirelli Star driver initiative I was just wondering if all these types of promotional things have actually produced or helped a driver get to the world stage? I'm sure these type of searches have been run all over the world. I guess the BFG scheme is similar. In the UK there's the MSA Elite scheme, in Ireland the Billy Coleman Award and no doubt similar things around Europe. There was even something in the UK years ago to find the next Michelle Mouton for women drivers. I'm sure there's also been similar programmes in Australia and NZ.
    Anybody got any further information?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    About the Pirelli Star driver initiative, I think its a good idea but the realisation is crap, it would be better if they would get sponsorship instead and could use their own cars.
    About the other talent searches I dont know, if its difficult for people who are in charge of the money bag to see who can drive on the stages, maybe they are good.
    Aja kovaa Pena.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noel157
    With the current Pirelli Star driver initiative I was just wondering if all these types of promotional things have actually produced or helped a driver get to the world stage? I'm sure these type of searches have been run all over the world. I guess the BFG scheme is similar. In the UK there's the MSA Elite scheme, in Ireland the Billy Coleman Award and no doubt similar things around Europe. There was even something in the UK years ago to find the next Michelle Mouton for women drivers. I'm sure there's also been similar programmes in Australia and NZ.
    Anybody got any further information?
    One of the big problems with these efforts is they tend to be for 1 year, that is not long enough to produce a driver. Not only is it not long enough of a commitment to a driver it also creates an annual search for a driver which is unrealistic, very good drivers are common, ones with the last bit to make it to the top are very rare.
    For these schemes to have real benefit they should be tough in the selection, if no one is good enough wait, then when they do unearth a real potential stick with them as long as it takes(or until it becomes clear you picked a dud...)
    Deep down I'm a sound bloke!

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    I think the general idea is good but it has turned almost a farce. How many problem free rallies has all those talents have had? None? One?

Looking from that perspective, one year is definately too short amount of time.
    Another Flying Finn

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    here how it works

They gather a bunch of nobodies with deep pockets and connections to the pirelli team and local organisations...they give them a crap car to have fun with and voila......100% success

Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.T
    here how it works

They gather a bunch of nobodies with deep pockets and connections to the pirelli team and local organisations...they give them a crap car to have fun with and voila......100% success
    As usual, brilliant post

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    i cannot see where i am wrong ..those pirelli stars cannot even win against the PWRC bunch of cowboys.

I am not against the idea, i am against the way its implemented

Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.T
    i cannot see where i am wrong ..those pirelli stars cannot even win against the PWRC bunch of cowboys.

I am not against the idea, i am against the way its implemented
    You can't win or go fast if your car won't last more than (let's say) 5 SS. Right now the problem is the cars, not other drivers or star drivers capabilities. We haven't had any real comparison yet, because the crap job from Ralliart Italy.

Liked 65 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomi
    About the Pirelli Star driver initiative, I think its a good idea but the realisation is crap, it would be better if they would get sponsorship instead and could use their own cars.
    About the other talent searches I dont know, if its difficult for people who are in charge of the money bag to see who can drive on the stages, maybe they are good.
    I think it's a good idea in general too give them cars. That way they can make a step up, learn a new, better car and not have to worry too much about going bankrupt in a crash.
    The problems in the Pirelli Star contest seem to come mostly from the poor preperation by ralliart.

Liked 385 Times in 191 Posts
    General idea is good in eg. the Pirelli program, but...

a) they put the drivers this year as testdrivers for new Evo10's that haven't worked at all.

b) The program is for 1 year only. They should have had a system to take 1 or two best of them after the 1st year and takem them further in the next...