Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Indycar at Road America in 2010???

The ALMS just announce it's nine race schedule and their release states that they would be running with the IRL on their August weekend at Road America. This is the first I've heard about the IRL adding Elkhart. Anybody have any solid info on this. It would be great if they did!
    life is always a crisis, for without crisis, there would be no excitement to life.

Liked 65 Times in 28 Posts
    Link? Are you sure you have not misread it for the other August weekend in Mid-Ohio? The IRL is scheduled for Sonoma 22 August.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    life is always a crisis, for without crisis, there would be no excitement to life.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Would be great, but no way this is legit. It's a misprint of some kind or another. IRL folks seemed slightly put out that they even had to schedule a "full" 17 races, and the short answer whenever someone asked about throwing in one more (like Milw) was typically "no ####ing way". The IRL is significantly more likely to drop a race next season than add one IMO.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think it is probably a misprint too. Probably from a rookie pr guy at ALMS. One of my friends who knows people at RA checked and they said they hadn't heard a thing. They're still cleaning up the wrecked cars from the runoffs at RA. But...hope springs eternal! I remember the first CART race there in '82 and they only scheduled that one a few weeks before the event...of course the sport was much more pure then.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ok, just checked both ALMS and IRL websites. RA isn't gonna happen. The IRL is at Infineon on 8/22, the same date as the ALMS is scheduled at RA. That's what happens when some pr moron makes a miscue. So we'll be starved for a decent race at RA for another year...but the runoffs were pretty good though, especially the FF race, all bow to Rubenzer!

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by booger
    So we'll be starved for a decent race at RA for another year...
    Not unless ALMS cancels.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Not to mention SVRA, VSCDA and BRIC.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    And driving 100 year old race cars is real racing? I don't think so! Ask the drivers about their rules. Reasonably fast "Touring" is a much better term to those organizations.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Racing at Road America

Booger,

While it would be nice to see more "pro" racing at Road America, the track doesn't seem to need it. Between the AMA weekend, the ALMS weekend, June Sprints, the Run-offs, other weekend car club & vintage car & cycle events, their schedule is pretty full.

There's also a fair amount of private weekday activity there. Some of it is individuals or groups running their own cars for fun. Some of it is testing by teams or manufacturers. Production cars as well as race teams.

Based on the improvements they've been making to the track & facilities the last several years, they must be making money at it with the events they have.

I doubt the IRL will run again at RA until the package & promotion improves.

Andy