Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WSBK Imola

[quote="The Phantom"]I'm sure you're glad to have watched it live, Chac

After my getting all psyched up Sky Sports bumped the races until Mon morning and started from the warm up lap for both races so I missed a lot of the info and updates the commentators give us prior to the races. We didn't get Supersport either.

I was really happy with Nori's results and that Rea didn't take him out again - Rea is definitely "over-riding" as you say. I have to say congrats to Fabrizio, good support in race 1 and the win in race 2 would have meant everything to him. He'll be on a high so the last four races are going to be interesting, unofficial team orders ??? Well done Max, and did he catch Fabrizio being a bit inattentive at the end of race 1, very fast anyway.

Simoncelli was a good distraction, his WSBK outing seem to be all fun for him but Biaggi will probably be pleased it was a one-off.

J Green's voice is very hard on my ears. We were getting really good audio of the bikes from Imola but couldn't enjoy it for the incessant chatter from both commentators.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chac47
    Simoncelli was a good distraction, his WSBK outing seem to be all fun for him but Biaggi will probably be pleased it was a one-off.
    Oh I'm sure he is pleased! LOL. But he did compliment Simoncelli on his performance afterwards so I don't think he was too upset about the race 2 move, in fact I think that it was precipitated by Spies setting up a move of his own and really ended up being a 'racing incident'.

I agree that Fabrizio did a sterling effort in supporting Haga, he's been a bloody good wingman for Haga this year. A pity Spies does not have the same support but Rea and Max have helped him out a bit in taking points off Haga a few times.
    Phantom... Bike Who Parks

"It's a tour, not a race... but don't get in my way while I'm touring!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Makoto Tamada will be out of action again this weekend after a horror crash at Imola which the cameras didn't pick up for TV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdd1oaxZBZY

Looks like Conforti's brakes must've failed - both riders are basically alright although Tamada doesn't remember the accident.
    "Of course, what many people tend to forget is that Glen Richards was 2nd in the 1993 Australian 125cc championship" - Jack Burnicle on BSB at Snetterton, June 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's always a shock when you see just how violent a motorcycle racing crash can really be - the television views rarely capture it, but that grandstand view sure did. Glad both riders are relatively ok.
    Phantom... Bike Who Parks

"It's a tour, not a race... but don't get in my way while I'm touring!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That accident is horrendous! No wonder Tamada doesn't remember it, he didn't see it happen at all. I reckon Conforti has run off at the previous corner and crashed leaving the bike to torpedo the luckless Tamada.

Well, true to form, Haga finds form at the end of the year when he's behind in the championship. Hopefully he remains in the groove and can take his first world title. Sensational race win by Fabrizio, unfortunately for him he seemed overshadowed in Parc Ferme by super sub, SuperSic. Simoncelli did a fantastic job and hopefully we can see some of that in MotoGP from him next year. Spies had a 'bad' day and lost his championship lead. At less than a race win off the lead, he'll hardly be quaking in his boots. Jonathon Rea had the most immature day I've seen from him. Looked ragged from the outset and proved to be an accident waiting-to-happen. Hopefully he's calmed down a bit by Magny Cours.

I don't think anyone could've seen Crutchlow's demise coming. The restart appeared to go to plan for the Brit, he detroyed the field with his superior pace and then inexplicably threw it all away. I certainly makes the title chase all the more exciting! Big ups to Sofuoglu returning to the winners circle, giving Ten Kate some joy after a forgettable season. Really hoping that Lascorz can sneak a much deserved win in the last two rounds. I couldn't believe it when I realised that they haven't quite cracked it for a win, they've been soo close. Also, it was a great debut for Chaz Davies who can hopefully get a permanent ride in the series to add even more depth to a very solid field.
    Get off my lawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Oh yeah, on the commentary. It's pretty well documented on here most people's negative opinions of Jonathon Green (including mine) but I don't reckon Steve Martin is much better. I haven't noticed any bias to his commentary except against Fabrizio ("I've got a bit of respect for him now, Jonathon" ). My main annoyance with him is that he is a yes man and a flip-flopper. He too often agrees with ridiculous statements by Green when as the expert commentator, he should set him straight. And worst of all, Steve will matter-of-factly tell us "I'll tell you what's happening", only to do a complete reverse within 2 laps. Boo.
    Get off my lawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaMaster
    Oh yeah, on the commentary. It's pretty well documented on here most people's negative opinions of Jonathon Green (including mine) but I don't reckon Steve Martin is much better. I haven't noticed any bias to his commentary except against Fabrizio ("I've got a bit of respect for him now, Jonathon" ). My main annoyance with him is that he is a yes man and a flip-flopper. He too often agrees with ridiculous statements by Green when as the expert commentator, he should set him straight. And worst of all, Steve will matter-of-factly tell us "I'll tell you what's happening", only to do a complete reverse within 2 laps. Boo.
    The thing is that I've heard Steve Martin imply at least on three occassions, whenever Haga won, that he didn't deserve it. It was either because of Fabrizio's help or somebody else's misfortune. Well, in some races, yeah, Haga capitalized a bit, but at Imola, he said that Fabrizio helped Haga to win by holding back Biaggi. Now, that's a bit too much. If that was the case, Haga would have had race two win as well.

And when Spies even manages to spit 2 feet further, both of them scream like little girls in a playground. Well, agreed that Spies is a phenomenal talent, but he isn't God, or else he would have won every race this season.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by X-ecutioner
    The thing is that I've heard Steve Martin imply at least on three occassions, whenever Haga won, that he didn't deserve it. It was either because of Fabrizio's help or somebody else's misfortune. Well, in some races, yeah, Haga capitalized a bit, but at Imola, he said that Fabrizio helped Haga to win by holding back Biaggi. Now, that's a bit too much. If that was the case, Haga would have had race two win as well.

And when Spies even manages to spit 2 feet further, both of them scream like little girls in a playground. Well, agreed that Spies is a phenomenal talent, but he isn't God, or else he would have won every race this season.
    Fair enough, I guess last weekend I just read his comments as being more matter-of-fact that Fabrizio and Biaggi fighting helped Haga to escape, though, as it were, he probably had the speed to get away anyhow. Perhaps any bias from him towards Spies is because Ben is on a Yamaha, the same as Steve rides? Or he just doesn't like Ducati (despite winning an Aus superbike title and world superbike race riding for them)? I think he started to intimate the old 'unfair advantage' that Ducati supposedly have at one stage.
    Get off my lawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaMaster
    Fair enough, I guess last weekend I just read his comments as being more matter-of-fact that Fabrizio and Biaggi fighting helped Haga to escape, though, as it were, he probably had the speed to get away anyhow. Perhaps any bias from him towards Spies is because Ben is on a Yamaha, the same as Steve rides? Or he just doesn't like Ducati (despite winning an Aus superbike title and world superbike race riding for them)? I think he started to intimate the old 'unfair advantage' that Ducati supposedly have at one stage.
    I agree, and it's a shame really that we can't have really unbiased commentators. If I ever watch a British telecast of 125 CC or MotoGP, almost 90% of the time they're busy giving updates on where Bradley Smith, Scott Redding and James Toseland are, instead of talking about what's really happening on the track. It's actually better to watch the telecast in a country where I don't understand the language.