Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Personally, I thought F1 helmets were fine, easily recognizable, and not garish until Alex Wurz hit the scene. At the time I remember thinking "Wow! MotoGP has invaded F1!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think my favorite helmet was Mika Hakkinen's. Neat, simple design with stripes, and easily recognizable. And for some reason, it looked faster (Or maybe because he was simply faster than DC )

I painted my helmet used for karting, kinda the same way, except I put my name in place of West/Mika.

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brockman
    I have no problem identifying the drivers by the current helmets, but that said I've always liked the Hill family's design and that of Tom Pryce.
    In days gone by (old fart moment!!) there was quite often a story behind a helmet design. Hill's London Rowing Club colours and Pryce putting black stripes on his lid so his Dad could spot him out on track more easily are just two examples.

As a kid I remember reading Barry Gill's 'Grand Prix Guide' which showed some of the designs for the 1977 season, and almost all had a tale to tell.

Now it's just artwork, plus the Red Bull corporate look
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    In days gone by (old fart moment!!) there was quite often a story behind a helmet design. Hill's London Rowing Club colours and Pryce putting black stripes on his lid so his Dad could spot him out on track more easily are just two examples.

As a kid I remember reading Barry Gill's 'Grand Prix Guide' which showed some of the designs for the 1977 season, and almost all had a tale to tell.

Now it's just artwork, plus the Red Bull corporate look
    My favorite is Rene Arnoux who had a plain white lid - he said that painting it did not make him go any quicker!

I cant bear the Red Bull confusion. Absolutely hate it.

Alesi's was a tribute to the late Elio de Angelis. Great helmet.

My favorite among the current crop is Jenson Button's before he went all dayglo and Monster top - but he has retained the essential design.
    Jense - Mclaren MP4-25 :D
    MonzaOne :D

Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by X-ecutioner
    I think my favorite helmet was Mika Hakkinen's. Neat, simple design with stripes, and easily recognizable. And for some reason, it looked faster (Or maybe because he was simply faster than DC )

I painted my helmet used for karting, kinda the same way, except I put my name in place of West/Mika.
    mokin:
    Jense - Mclaren MP4-25 :D
    MonzaOne :D

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'm waiting for someone to have a nude woman, tastefully done, of course!
    Watch Bernie and Mad Max have fits.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Webber maintained the same helmet design for a long time, ever since he first started in europe all the way up to his time at Williams his helmet didn't change, he was easily recongnisable. Whether you liked the design or not, it was easy to tell that it was Mark Webber and not his team mate.

When he went to Red Bull they pressured him to change his design to something more Red Bullish and after a few failed attempts they eventually ended up with a compromise of his old design but with Red Bull's colours.. personally I think he should have just added a red bull logo and left it at that! Stand your ground man!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Barrichello is using the basic same helmet since his karting days in the 80's, and it's quite nice in his special helmets there is always something from his original design, I liked his helmet in monza, but it was quite different,

in 88

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Rubens has used pretty much the same design right up until Brawn made it yellow and black earlier in the year. Hamilton also has different versions of a similar theme which started out so his Dad could spot him easily.

Seem to remember MS changing his design because it was too similar to Rubens when they were both at Ferrari.

Despite this my favourite helmet design was a one off and not in F1, Rossi had a cracker at Mugello this season
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    MS may have changed his helmet because it was too similar to Ruebens, but I think the more likely reason was because his old design was crap. The red helmet suited him much better, although I thought the red with the german flag worked best, I dunno why he went away from the German flag in his final seasons