Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts

Driver's Helmets - to helmet you!!

The subject of designs on drivers helmets has irked me for some time. I do not remember when it began but most of the driver’s helmets today are incredibly “busy” and the recognition that once was so easy – and happily so – is no longer there.

While a driver such as Button’s is amongst the most recognizable, Raikkonen’s helmet is to me just downright indescribable.

Also, I do not like it when drivers change their design from race to race – such as Jenson’s at Silverstone and that his personal sponsor now takes up the entire top of his “lid”.

Its so exciting to identify a driver in race a long time ago – such as an f3 or f2 or f3000 race – a good picture of the start for example.

What do you all think of this?

I know I am an old school purist but in my view a driver’s helmet is like his signature and it identifies him when nothing else around him is identifiable.
    Jense - Mclaren MP4-25 :D
    MonzaOne :D

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Schumacher started putting the prancing horse on top of his then changed to an overall red... that prompted others teams BMW and Mercedes to put their logo on the drivers lids...

Helmets are works of art now and can change almost every race... simplicity works best... Lewis Senna-esk os potent reminder of the great mans (so is cheating a bit) Hills homage to his dads was touching, Coulthards saltaire is quite evocative and Jensons (pre Brawn yellow/black) a clever play on the union jack and his initials...

some will always work better than others

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    I'm with you Saint Devote. Today's helmet paint jobs are so busy they all look very much the same, from F1 right down through the ranks of the kart racers.

Simple works. I like red flames on a black helmet myself. :-)
    The secret to winning races: More Throttle, Less Brake.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I have no problem identifying the drivers by the current helmets, but that said I've always liked the Hill family's design and that of Tom Pryce.

Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    I agree Saint Devote

Favorite F1 helmets all-time:
    Piquet Sr.
    Carlos Reutemann
    Keke Rosberg

Favorite current F1 helmet
    Fisichella

Favorite helmet outside of F1:
    Butch Leitzinger
    Gil de Ferran

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    We should all cherish diversity instead of slamming it for some petty reasons.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    I am all for diversity if there's creativity involved, but there is a difference between that and today's forgettable drivers' helmets. I can, for example, remember Hill's helmet clearly, and Irvine's, Coulthard's and Senna's, but I would struggle with almost all of the current crop.

Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Yes, there is a difference between modifying an existing design and then changing it completely.

My favorite helmet antics is what Barrichello has done - wearing Tony Kanaan's helmet once and then in last year's Brazilian Grand Prix that of Ingo Hoffman.

Which brings me to an example why the helmet is so important - I immediately recognized it as Hoffman's and wondered why Rubens was wearing it.

This to me is an important part of racing.
    Jense - Mclaren MP4-25 :D
    MonzaOne :D

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Many of the current examples are very garish.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Personally, I don't mind when Rubens keeps his basic design, but changes the colors around a little. It's still mostly white, but the color panels on the side (more often than the top), are changed. At a quick glance, I still know it is Rubens (which is the important thing), yet I notice that there's something different, which intrigues me.

My favorite "special edition" Barrichello helmet - his tribute to Ayrton Senna.