Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper
    Was this a tarmac rally. In that case I can see a pattern here - tarmac.

The tarmacsurface makes the cars unpredictible and they can go off anywhere as may be the cause of why people are often getting hit by cars going off...
    I was about to say the same after Hartusvuori posted the list, but I somehow decided not to say it out loud. But yes, I also see the pattern...
    Satakymppi, oikee yks

Liked 11,171 Times in 4,437 Posts
    I'm from tarmac rally country and I tend to agree with You, guys. Tarmac is more dangerous surface. There are more dangerous sudden changes of grip (i.e. some dirt, water, bumps, stones thrown on the road), if something unpredictable happens, driver has much shorter time to react and as said the way the car went off is hardly predictable.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 1,885 Times in 738 Posts
    I heard today that tarmac rallies in Sweden are banned because of this?
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruNorway
    I heard today that tarmac rallies in Sweden are banned because of this?
    That´s correct, we only have sprint-rally on tarmac an small parts on stages with tarmac

Liked 313 Times in 137 Posts
    The worst thing with this accident is that it was a child that was killed. I must say I don’t like the way the Expressen is writing about the accident in its headlines, “WRC driver killed a ten year old girl”.
    “Don’t eat the yellow snow” Frank Zappa

Liked 11,171 Times in 4,437 Posts
    In the accident on Valašská rally those killed were also two children and father of one of them. Press was talking about how dangerous the cars are for people but didn't comment how stupid the father was to stand with children on the edge of the road outside a flat out corner after a jump ignoring other people who were shouting on them...
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldF
    I must say I don’t like the way the Expressen is writing about the accident in its headlines, “WRC driver killed a ten year old girl”.
    Finnish version from Ilta-Sanomat is even worse: "Andreas Mikkelsen drove a 10 year old girl to death", like meaning it was intentional. You can't write such a headline until sentenced from manslaughter...

And thanks Mirek for the correction - I didn't know more of the facts.
    Photos: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Twitter: @HartusvuoriWRC

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kolvas
    That´s correct, we only have sprint-rally on tarmac an small parts on stages with tarmac
    Is that the only reason? Or do you have the same problem as we here in Finland - the lack of suitable tarmac roads? It's impossible to make a tarmac rally in Finland because it would be waaaay too fast...

Quote Originally Posted by OldF
    I must say I don’t like the way the Expressen is writing about the accident in its headlines, “WRC driver killed a ten year old girl”.
    Same s*it in the Finnish "media" too.
    Satakymppi, oikee yks

Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Mirek Fric [Cze
    ] --- but didn't comment how stupid the father was to stand with children on the edge of the road outside a flat out corner after a jump ignoring other people who were shouting on them...
    At this year NORF on Friday at Mökkiperä 2 I witnessed a mother of two running on stage with BABY STROLLERS at the time cars were only minute apart. She made it clear from junction to junction (some 50 m), marshall was making it clear for her how stupid move she'd made - but after there was a bigger gap between cars she was once again running on stage. Father - clearly drunk - was running behind with the older kid, at once literally dragging the kid along as he heard the whistle for arriving car and the kid paniced.

So clearly - no matter how sad and unfortunate - these accidents are sometimes just waiting to happen, and saying that I don't point out to any of the accidents that've happened because I of course don't know all the facts.
    Photos: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Twitter: @HartusvuoriWRC

Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
    Very sad news.