Page 96 of 106 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798 ... LastLast
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DexDexter
    That's probably true in Ferrari's case but my question is what kind of people need encouragement to work harder? I don't understand why professionals need to be hugged and kissed?
    I'll give you the example I always use.

A few years ago in the BTCC James Thompson, through no fault of his own, wrecked his Vauxhall Astra in qualifying at Knockhill. I mean properly wrecked. I interviewed him and he was gutted that he wouldn't be on the grid come Sunday as he was in with a shout at the championship.

When I walked into the track the next day, there was his car. A bit bent, and held together in places with a lot of gaffer tape, but it was repaired and running. I spoke to some of his team who said they'd worked until around 3am fixing it.

I could totally understand and forgive them if they'd given up on it as a lost cause, but such was the respect for Thommo - universally considered in the team to be a good bloke - that the mechanics pulled out all the stops for him.

They're professionals, they've won enough championships to prove that point, but I can't help wondering if they'd have gone to all that trouble for every driver.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    Part of a drivers role, if he wants to get the best out of everyone who is working their butts off to provide him with a car to go racing with on a Sunday afternoon, is to work with them. Visiting the factory is a part of that IMHO.

It might not give him an extra 3tenths, but then again it might encourage the team to work just that little bit harder for him.
    That was the sort of attitude the late Greg Moore brought to his teams. The first time I met him was at Mid Ohio long after all the other drivers were off in their hotels or motorhomes, I found Greg in the garage sitting cross legged on one of the tables. I leaned in and asked, why are you still here? His response was my guys are working on the car so I felt my place was to be here with them even if nothing more than to hand them the occasional wrench. That spoke VOLUMES to his commitment to the folks committed to supporting him.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Man Moore was a class act. Sorely missed.
    :champion: WRC3 championship, WRC4 championship, WRC4 PCWRC, WRC4 ERC
    Winner - TRD2 Bathurst:burnout:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by I am evil Homer
    Man Moore was a class act. Sorely missed.

Amen, my friend, amen. He was so classy on so many levels. His interaction with his fans was so REAL and genuine. Not just the casual smile and hello, he actually listened to what folks said and responded in a one-to-one fashion. I spent about fifteen minutes talking to him at the FIA race in Sebring when he drove one of the FIA Mercedes cars. It was like I was talking to someone I had known my entire life. So engaging. I miss him so.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    Does stepping into the factory for a cup of coffee give a driver and extra 3tenths of a second in a race?
    Nice understatement. How about, "Does going to the factory to exhibit an interest in the process and the individual team members--developing relationships--does THAT give a driver an extra three-tenths?"

Why yes, it most certainly could.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keysersoze
    Nice understatement. How about, "Does going to the factory to exhibit an interest in the process and the individual team members--developing relationships--does THAT give a driver an extra three-tenths?"

Why yes, it most certainly could.
    Very well put, which is what should've been said in the first place instead of constantly referring to 'visiting the factory' which was far too ambiguous and was asking for a sarcastic comeback.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So, now it's confirmed - Kimi moves to Citroen. What a sad day for formula 1.
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80431

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julle69
    Not really.

Kimi drinks down those Red Bulls like water.

Once he does WRC I'm sure he'll be spright and motivated to drive alongside Vettel at Red Bull Racing.
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julle69
    Well, a sad day for us Finnish F1 enthusiasts, for the first time since 1993 we don't have a top driver in a top team. Then again, maybe its nicer to watch the races now, for pure fun.
    “Leave me alone!”

Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DexDexter
    Well, a sad day for us Finnish F1 enthusiasts, for the first time since 1993 we don't have a top driver in a top team. Then again, maybe its nicer to watch the races now, for pure fun.
    There are two people whose work I don't envy at all, the person who in in charge of MTV3 Max channel package sales and the one who is in charge of Santanders Finnish operations.
    C'est la vie ja taksi tuo.