Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Alms 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SportscarBruce
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but a major difference is Grand-Am sets the power curve on a given engine package through a series of in-house testing and tuning, then releases the product to teams, while ALMS makes competitive adjustments according to green flag on-track results accumulated over time.
    Wrong.
    GARRA adjusts its specs. as it feels just as the ACO does.
    The IMSA did not turn into a pathetic parade several years ago, only because it had enough cajones then to ignore the ACO spec. and create its own so the lessor class could defeat the primary class.

As I said clinging to the ACO, is the IMSA's worst enemy.
    Also, in the original IMSA, IMSA cars DID RUN at LeMans. It was at the request of European manufacturers that a "special" class in the IMSA was created so certain euro cars could run in IMSA races if they so chose to.

LeMans returned the favour.

Flying car-- paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    http://admin.grand-am.com/assets/eng...issionform.pdf

Far as I'm aware ALMS doesn't have a form similiar to this...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    http://admin.grand-am.com/assets/eng...issionform.pdf

Far as I'm aware ALMS doesn't have a form similiar to this...
    NO they just slap weight and restrictor size till you go as slow, or fast, diesels, as they want you to go.(I am still happy the IMSA was not afraid to expose the contrived gimmick for the sake of stopping a boring parade.
    They let the second rank p2 cars, take it to the suddenly not so premiere class diesels.
    Just think how entertaining and informative it would be if they got rid of the contrived spec. performance and simply made basic weight to displacement rules as they used to.
    No, they perfer forced mediocrity)

Yet, some GT1 boys found out if you go too fast, and you are not the chosen few, they slap more restrictions on you. Ask the Saleen boys.

Either way they are both running contrived rules hoping the fans are too stupid to know they are not watching anything that proves who builds the better car.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This will be my last post in this thread on Bob's rants.

Allowing LMP1's to compete with LMP2's is something that already happen and produced some excellent racing. Audi from the good Doctor's position Audi wasn't in the series to loose to the lesser LMP2 cars and felt it was a dirty trick to allow Acura and Porsche to skirt the rules a bit and build cars for a class intended for Gentlemen drivers.

2007 and 2008 have been some of the best racing in ALMS history at the sharp end. You didn't know who was going to win and Audi had to earn every victory. By 2008 they had turned a car designed mainly to run at Le Mans into a car capable of winning every where.

If things had remained the same, only with Acura moving up to LMP1, but Porsche and Penske re-signed to running LMP2 with updated Spyders, this year would be have been classic just like the years previous.

IMSA should be applauded to be willing to adjust the rules enough not to totally make them ineligible for ACO races like Le Mans, but allow enough flexibility to return back to ACO spec when needed.

What the ACO was protecting themselves from was a skyrocketing cost of racing in his home series mostly. Knowing what the Porsche Spyder had done the LMP cars at Laguna Seca at the end of the 2007 season, they knew if somebody went to Porsche with a large checkbook, they could dominate the LMS, especially at circuits where power is not nearly as important as high speed cornering.

To be honest, Porsche like they usually do, looked at the rules and said as long as the Diesel engined cars have a straight line advantage they would not spend the cubic dollars needed to close the gaps to them enough they you could keep them at bay when a corner came up.

Sportscar Racing in America doesn't have the star power it needs to close ground on NASCAR. But it can close ground on IRL and has. I think the ALMS is moving in positive direction.
    Check Out My Motorsport Blog - http://pfmotorsports.blogspot.com/

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey, nice seeing ya DJ!

If I may add to your Porsche analysis;

As Porsche began shifting its export target from the US market to the Near and Far East and Audi withdrawing from the field of battle they took the lure of Grand Am's cheaper cost point + big honkin' engine displacement for 2009. I'll hazard a guess the Porsche competitive specification adjustment along with the move to Grand-Am was spearheaded by Roger Penske. The allure of knocking Chip Ganassi off the DP mountain must have been a pretty enticing prospect for RP.

Alas I don't believe the Porsche DP program had a fraction of the prestigue factor gained through ALMS P2 competition, so if this was money well spent or not remains debatable. I believe they should have not only stayed in ALMS/ACO competition but stepped up to P1 and twisted ACO's arm in pursuit of favorable allowances towards hybrid technology.

On another note, following this year's PLM USA Today's Motorsport section didn't have a word about the race under that category. All they bothered printing was a two or three sentence AP summary hidden away in the back section of the paper.

pfft

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Crystal Ball LMP

De Ferran -

Signs Sato from F1 for his new IRL team and runs a two car effort with Simon has his second driver. They will also do double duty in the long distance races in ALMS. I would also expect to see another driver with Honda and ALMS connections replacing Pagenaud as lead ALMS driver.

What's not known is will it be a LMP1 car or LMP2 car?

Summary: 1 car in ALMS/LMP1 and 2 cars in IRL

Fernandez Racing -

Rumor has it the cars have been sold. Not sure if that's true, they are still looking for sponsorship and being back to run for overall victories next season might help them and get an 11th hour reprieve.

Summary: Shop Closed, Equipment Sold until further notice Oct. 30

Intersport - To be honest, not worth mentioning. Only Papa Field has enough raw speed to compete at the sharp end. Will they take on another paid driver? Thinks they might field some IMSA Lite cars for paid drivers next year (taking a page out of Primetime's book). The competition for the single podium positions next year has the little team that can't struggling for Top 5 finishes let alone podiums.

Summary: Updated B06, maybe (1) LMPC car, maybe (2) IMSA Lite Cars

Highcroft/Patron: The little team that was given a shot and ran with it, MIGHT field a IRL entry as well. But I think this will be Scott Sharp maybe with a limited schedule including the 500. So Highcroft will be expanding afterall. I also think the "Extreme Motorsport" GT2 will be stabled out of Highcroft as well. Brown has been announced as one of the drivers. Being that Ed is CEO of the Spirit's company, I don't expect him to be any faster than Neiman, maybe even slower. If they want to compete for victories in GT2, I expect two factory pilots. I'm not sure, but I think we'll see Gimmi Bruni here full time, not sure who he'll partner with Vilander has been in the ALMS before, if you remember his hard crash in the 2nd Risi car at Lime Rock back in 2007.

Summary: LMP1 (1), IRL (1) Limited Schedule, GT2 (via Extreme Motorsports)

Drayson Racing - As long as the his Lordship is behind the wheel for any lengthy amount of time, this team will not challenge for wins or the overall championship. But IF (and that's a big IF) he pairs Cocker with Rob Bell for the sprint races they might have an outside chance for victory later in the season. With no LMP experience around most of the tracks, they will struggle for pace I think. But by Petit I expect them to challenge for Podiums.

Summary: New for 2010 (3 races under belt by Sebring)

Dyson Racing - Largely no changes here, IMSA will adjust the rules for them to have a bit more straight line speed so they can compete with Intersport and Field in terms of who tops the trap speeds. They just need to be within a mph or two, they'll be better under braking and in corners (less weight, better tires, better drivers, even Chris Dyson), I expect at least ONE overall victory from them next season, don't be surprised if its Guy Smith...

I'm only focusing on those that will challenge for overall victories and its totally possible for Intersports to find themselves in victory lane though that's not likely.

Thoughts on GT2 next post

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey, nice seeing ya DJ!

If I may add to your Porsche analysis;

As Porsche began shifting its export target from the US market to the Near and Far East and Audi withdrawing from the field of battle they took the lure of Grand Am's cheaper cost point + big honkin' engine displacement for 2009. I'll hazard a guess the Porsche competitive specification adjustment along with the move to Grand-Am was spearheaded by Roger Penske. The allure of knocking Chip Ganassi off the DP mountain must have been a pretty enticing prospect for RP.

Alas I don't believe the Porsche DP program had a fraction of the prestigue factor gained through ALMS P2 competition, so if this was money well spent or not remains debatable. I believe they should have not only stayed in ALMS/ACO competition but stepped up to P1 and twisted ACO's arm in pursuit of favorable allowances towards hybrid technology.

On another note, following this year's PLM USA Today's Motorsport section didn't have a word about the race under that category. All they bothered printing was a two or three sentence AP summary hidden away in the back section of the paper.

pfft
    Sportscar Racing doesn't have the cashe' like Cup does especially in this made-up for TV playoff system called the Chase For the Cup. It will get barely a mention as they don't have a full time reporter following the series.

Thankfully Print Media is not nearly as important as it once was and the ALMS can do just fine with most of its coverage and rumor gathering online, it sure hasn't hurt ticket sales...

RP going to DP was so Porsche could decide if it wanted to build an LMP1 car (this was before the attempted takeover for VW, FAIL!) . Rumor has there is a realignment as it were in the works -

So the rumor goes...

Audi after 2010 will no longer field an LMP cars. They will instead focus on GT3 with the R8GT3 and on DTM with the A4. But the same "cast of characters" will run Porsche's new LMP1 car likely gas powered and hybrid. Penske might be tapped to run Porsche's in ALMS. Joest will run the LMS/European teams and Le Mans, while Penske will run the ALMS and MIGHT finally run Tim Centric run team at Le Mans as well. Porsche will continue to sell GT2 and GT3 variants of its 911 as demand warrants (especially in GT3).

By the way I thought you dropped off the face of the earth? Still using an ATI card to capture stuff? I have a full blown Media Center PC with 24" screen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Crystal Ball GT2

Here goes -

Risi - The end of 2009 was a bitter pill to swallow. AF Corse won first time out with evolution changes (Aero, GT1 rear tires, Larger Restrictor) at Paul Ricard. Risi used same "nose" treatment at Petit and Laguna finale. The 2009 chassis will get the updates. Not sure if the Texas Oil man will return for his 2-3 races.

Summary: No Driver Changes, Evolutionary Changes to the F430 ahead of the all new for 2011 458

Extreme Motorsports - Why does every American based racing team have "Motorsports" in its title? Anyway, announcing their intentions at Laguna took some observers by surprise. Scott will just own the car, not drive it.

Ed Brown (former Seagram Exc, current CEO of Patron) recently started racing. However Gimmi Bruni he is not and unless they stop having visions of grandeur this is money down the drain. I do expect them to pair him with one of Ferrari's lead drivers. Speaking of Bruni, I think he's accomplish all he can in Europe in a GT2 car (GT Open Champion, Italian GT Champion, 2 time FIA GT2 Champion, 2 time LMS Champion). So unless he's got a inside line on a MC12 drive next season, I can't see him continuing. Of course people that done stranger things, but seeing that most of the other "Ferrari" drivers that were at Sebring in 2008 (Simonsen, Bell, Muller, Farnbacher) or have Ferrari driving experience (A. Davidson) will likely not be available to them. That leaves current Grand Am Driver Matteo Bobbi, the aforementioned Bruni and his teammate Toni Vi(Zoo)lander.

Summary: Look for Matias Russo and Bruni to join Ed Brown at Sebring, brand new F430 GTC should be available around Feb 2010 for its shake down at Florano, won't challenge for victories without some "neat" pit strategy

Rahal-Letterman BMW - As far as I can tell nobody has been locked in for 2010 on the driver front. Drik Muller is a BMW lifer though, I expect him to be locked in. The "All American" car is of no threat to be changed either, afterall they got the only class win for BMW last year. So that leaves Tommy Millner's seat vulnerable. Being that he's not locked up already should fuel speculation that Milner might lose his seat to a 3 time WTCC Champion or another "Muller" with strong ties to BMW. If BMW drops its factory supported WTCC effort like some rumors have said, I do expect Milner to be the "odd" man out.

Summary: Further "massaging" of the M3GT2, Milner retained for "Endurance Races", Priaulx or the "other" Muller for the Sprint Races. Inside Line: Head of BMW NA Effort has close ties to Priaulx.

GM Corvette Racing - No Changes

Flying Lizard Racing - No Changes (defacto Porsche NA factory squad)

Farnbarcher - With Porsche dropping its support of Grand Am next season, I expect Dirk Werner to partner full-time with Henzler, not sure who will partner with them for longer races, might field GTC Porsches for paid drivers

Summary: More stable driver lineup will allow them to challenge for victories and overall championship, could possibly add 2nd car that was announced at the end of 2008 originally.

Vici Racing - Not sure if the T-Moblie Deal really kicks in next season or was limited to start with. Puzzling to sign a major sponsor like T-Mobile to only show up 3 times in a 10 race season... If they can put a solid driver line up together and get a 2010 car, they should challenge for Podiums.

Summary: Expect Westbrook for a full season next year. My guess is kid Stuck will partner and continue to "grow" into GT racing. Expect Porsche Factory driver for endurance races.

This is where I expect most of the race victories and championship contenders to come.

Now....

The best of the rest -

RSR (Formerly Rocket Sports) - Jag in the hands of the "Goose" barely made it a complete stint in first real race outing. Was some 10 or so seconds off the ultimate pace in GT2. I expect that to be cut in half by Winter Testing at Sebring. Won't challenge for podiums until maybe year 2. Why? because this is not a Top Down effort from Tata Motors. I guess Jag of NA threw in a few coins, sent them a few body on white cars and linked them with Apex, but that's about it. Unless some big time sponsor dollars comes along; GT racing is very much different from tube frame Trans Am racing.

Summary: Scott Pruett to drive between Grand Am gig or drop DP's altogether?

Robinson Racing - Rumor has it Ford is interested in giving them "technical" assistance. This would mean (to me anyway) use of 7 post, shock dynos, simulation software (nailing setup before events), engines from Roush/Yates, CFD and Wind Tunnel use. But what this team really needs beyond all that which will make the car faster and put them on terms with the elite teams, is a 2nd car with two professional drivers in it. This is something Seth does over at Flying Lizard. He lets the pros challenge for wins and championships, he drives mid pack ready to ponce if attrition is higher than normal. I hope the Robinson's understand that its time to take the program to the next level and take "winning" seriously and that it doesn't have to get in the way of having fun, which they are doing with David Murry.

Summary: Pair David Murry with an equally competent driver and podium finishes shouldn't be out of the question, especially if Ford puts some of their vast technical muscle beyond it.

Falken Tires - Spent most of the year testing but as Corvette Racing learned a long time ago, testing only is for suckers. Falken has been near the leading edge on pace but far enough off it not to be a factor in any event outcomes. Unless they make another technological leap forward in tire development (Ask Dunlop how hard it is to trump the French tires), even with a 2010 GT3-RSR.

Summary: Weakness seams to be the four round things. If that Rubik's Cube can be solved (not likely this season) they'll challenge for podiums with a typically reliable Porsche. Otherwise, they'll be struggling mid pack (see Vici + New Porsche + Kumho Tires = FAIL)

I don't foresee any other additions, though having said that, Scott Sharp came out of left field. We'll just have to see how seriously they will take GT2 because it really takes two professional drivers to get the job done, its become that serious in this class that even VanOverbek, a decent peddler has been demoted to the penalty box (Team Owner's Car).

What was once WWIII, its straight gone Nuclear in this class. This is the roughest, toughest, meanest, GT2 Championship in the world, you only have to look at what happen at the Laguna season finale on the last lap. You'll be sure while some believe a dangerous prescient was set at Sebring in 2007, I think everybody understands that Melo and Bergermister are NOT the people you wanna try to get physical with at the checkered flag...

Frankly the beating and banging doesn't happen often enough to be a problem. Who said rubbin isn't racing in Sportscars too?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dj4monie
    Sportscar Racing doesn't have the cashe' like Cup does especially in this made-up for TV playoff system called the Chase For the Cup. It will get barely a mention as they don't have a full time reporter following the series.
    Gary Graves is about as knowledgeable and prolific a racing reporter as you'll find today, his contributions during the start of the racing season span the gambit from Cup to ALMS to F1 and IndyCar. The annual "Speed Weekend" issue is first-rate year after year. However as this year's sponsorship crunch began to sideline NASCAR regulars and TV rating soured a focus towards single category coverage became the norm. Same pattern took place at Speed Channel and across NewsCorp's media empire, ditto for Disney. I don't believe any of this is an accident. Welcome to the era of PR news.

Thankfully Print Media is not nearly as important as it once was and the ALMS can do just fine with most of its coverage and rumor gathering online, it sure hasn't hurt ticket sales...
    Print doesn't have the market share of eyeballs it enjoyed during the pre-internet days, but it's still damm important when it comes to establishing pecking orders through headlines and photo shots. Also note Sprint is a daily advertiser in USAToday, NASCAR Communication honcho Jim Hunter's right hand man Mike McCarthy went straight from the front office to a desk at USA Today Sports. It's an important platform in their eyes.

RP going to DP was so Porsche could decide if it wanted to build an LMP1 car (this was before the attempted takeover for VW, FAIL!) . Rumor has there is a realignment as it were in the works -
    I heard that rationale before but I didn't believe it for a minute. Porsche cheaped out instead of climbing the Le Mans mountain for one simple reason; In days past it was Porsche v Ferrari, Porsche today is fighting for Range Rover's customer base. Grandsons sure have a knack for disfiguring the family brand...

So the rumor goes...

Audi after 2010 will no longer field an LMP cars. They will instead focus on GT3 with the R8GT3 and on DTM with the A4. But the same "cast of characters" will run Porsche's new LMP1 car likely gas powered and hybrid. Penske might be tapped to run Porsche's in ALMS. Joest will run the LMS/European teams and Le Mans, while Penske will run the ALMS and MIGHT finally run Tim Centric run team at Le Mans as well. Porsche will continue to sell GT2 and GT3 variants of its 911 as demand warrants (especially in GT3).

By the way I thought you dropped off the face of the earth? Still using an ATI card to capture stuff? I have a full blown Media Center PC with 24" screen
    Since I've recently emerged from under my rock do you have any links to share concerning Porsche's future plans in ACO sports car competition?

Once I get this rootkit crap cleaned out of my new multiprocesser machine I'll start posting some better quality stuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by dj4monie
    This will be my last post in this thread on Bob's rants.

Allowing LMP1's to compete with LMP2's is something that already happen and produced some excellent racing. Audi from the good Doctor's position Audi wasn't in the series to loose to the lesser LMP2 cars and felt it was a dirty trick to allow Acura and Porsche to skirt the rules a bit and build cars for a class intended for Gentlemen drivers.

2007 and 2008 have been some of the best racing in ALMS history at the sharp end. You didn't know who was going to win and Audi had to earn every victory. By 2008 they had turned a car designed mainly to run at Le Mans into a car capable of winning every where.

If things had remained the same, only with Acura moving up to LMP1, but Porsche and Penske re-signed to running LMP2 with updated Spyders, this year would be have been classic just like the years previous.

IMSA should be applauded to be willing to adjust the rules enough not to totally make them ineligible for ACO races like Le Mans, but allow enough flexibility to return back to ACO spec when needed.

What the ACO was protecting themselves from was a skyrocketing cost of racing in his home series mostly. Knowing what the Porsche Spyder had done the LMP cars at Laguna Seca at the end of the 2007 season, they knew if somebody went to Porsche with a large checkbook, they could dominate the LMS, especially at circuits where power is not nearly as important as high speed cornering.

To be honest, Porsche like they usually do, looked at the rules and said as long as the Diesel engined cars have a straight line advantage they would not spend the cubic dollars needed to close the gaps to them enough they you could keep them at bay when a corner came up.

Sportscar Racing in America doesn't have the star power it needs to close ground on NASCAR. But it can close ground on IRL and has. I think the ALMS is moving in positive direction.
    Hmm, if I am ranting then yours is a sputtering defense of the undefendable?

If it weren't for the Indianapolis 500, the IRL would be toast.
    If the rules changes in the IRL are what has been said on other forums, the IMSA, if it survives, should have no trouble to be more popular than all but Indy.