Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alms 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks
    DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oli_M
    The chassis and bodywork has to be made to a strict set of templates and the cars are 'homolagated' for X years, so you have to use one of the 5 legal chassis. Yes its not a strict spec like (say) GP2 cars, but its certainly not as open as ALMS, if you can see what I mean?

I enjoy watching G-A racing because the cars are so equal, often you find in other series some cars are more suited to certain tracks etc.

Having said that, I only watch G-A for the DP class, to be honest I don't pay any attention to the GT class...... Where as with the Le Mans (European) series, I do watch the Gt classes too..... weird I know....
    The funny thing is Mazda RX-8 competing with Porsche 911!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would pay to see Audi race 2 cars then spec grand am 30 cars side by side. That,s me and I love high tech cars and competicion therefore ALMS is perfect fit for my taste.
    Keep it fast, keep it real!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Grand-Am is not officially spec, but the rulebook is so airtight it creates a spec-like series, and to save time we just go ahead and call it spec. There are 2 dominant chassis, though i think it's down to better funding than the others. The biggest difference is the engines, there's two types of Porsche engines, the 6 and the V8 (Cayenne), and there are clear differences in the advantages of each.

Wedge is right, the GT class is even harder to explain...koni challenge is better.

(sorry for hijacking the thread a bit...I'll behave I promise)
    Formula Platypus 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roy
    What is your definition of 'spec'? I thought that there were several chasis manufacturers and several engine suppliers in Grand Am. Am I missing something?

Just curious, not combative?
    Just like the IMSA they are spec. equalized because otherwise it would not be fair.(It used to be racing improved the product, but hell, it is easier to simply dummy all down to a common denominator)
    I am waiting for them to take the next step in fairness like they are starting to do in grade school ballgames; not keep score so no one is hurt.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FIAT1
    I would pay to see Audi race 2 cars then spec grand am 30 cars side by side. That,s me and I love high tech cars and competicion therefore ALMS is perfect fit for my taste.
    I agree completely.

Well, more precisely, something like 1 Audi vs 1 908 vs 1 Aston Martin (or any 2 of these!) would have me watching it.

However, that has happened at what, Le Mans, Sebring, Spa and possibly will be at PLM. Anyway, enough of the past, let's look forward to 2010 now, hopefully the new rules will encourage teams, sponsors and, most importantly, fans.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    The funny thing is Mazda RX-8 competing with Porsche 911!
    Which I believe is actually built on the same Riley and Scott GT chassis as raced under the Pontiac G6.
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelred5
    Which I believe is actually built on the same Riley and Scott GT chassis as raced under the Pontiac G6.
    not to be Ned Nit"Pickey but The Pontiacs are built byPratt and Miller the Mazda is built by Riley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
    Just like the IMSA they are spec. equalized because otherwise it would not be fair.(It used to be racing improved the product, but hell, it is easier to simply dummy all down to a common denominator)
    I am waiting for them to take the next step in fairness like they are starting to do in grade school ballgames; not keep score so no one is hurt.
    Le Mans and ALMS also do equalizations through the rules. Why is it okay for them and not for Grand Am?
    DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roy
    Le Mans and ALMS also do equalizations through the rules. Why is it okay for them and not for Grand Am?
    Prejudicial blinders.
    I am not fond of what the France family did to the Daytona 24 hrs., but some IMSA fans speak of allowing the DP cars in and making them a special slow class.

Their tech. ignorance is only over whelmed by their prejudice .
    The only thing keeping the DPs as slow as they are, are the silly GARRA rules; as if one would remove the GARRA spec. engine and put in a plain old non-restricted NASCAR V-8. what the DP so powered would do to the vaunted Audi or Peugot would be a very sad day for either of the euro car makers.