Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by V12
    I'd nominate Mansell's move on Senna at Hungary '89 as up there ahead of a few on that list too, deciding the best of the best is tough.

Come to think of it, that's three Mansell moves I'd have on my shortlist, together with Silverstone '87 and Mexico '90, reminding myself why I was such a fan!
    Nah, the hungary move wasnt as classic as people like to make out, merely very opportunistic, Senna got bad baulked by a very slow mark marker in just the wrong place (the exit of a reasonably quick corner), Mansell had the space to keep the momentum and did not have to lift for the back marker giving him the opportunity to pass, so a well taken move, yes, but hardly up there with the greatest overtaking moves.

However, Mexico in 1990 was just sheer bravery, going into a plainly dangerous (little in the way of run off) and very bumpy corner almost flat in top gear around the outside, off the clean racing line and just keeping it flat and hoping the car would stick on worn tyres is massively brave and amazingly it came off where it might have resulted in 2 other outcomes, those being Mansell losing grip and spearing off the track at unabated speed or Berger keeping his foot in too which would have no doubt resulted in a massive shunt. In the event Mansell's Ferrari stuck and Berger got out of the throttle but it could have been very different, so what is remembered as an excellent overtake could have been remembered for all the wrong reasons.

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Another classic, well actually the same awesome move twice! Keke Rosberg at Monaco in 1986 passing Michele Alboreto on the outside of the start/finish "straight" not once but twice, as he caught him, passed him, pulled away for him, then went for tyres and did the whole thing again! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htcty...om=PL&index=15

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by philipbain
    Another classic, well actually the same awesome move twice! Keke Rosberg at Monaco in 1986 passing Michele Alboreto on the outside of the start/finish "straight" not once but twice, as he caught him, passed him, pulled away for him, then went for tyres and did the whole thing again! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htcty...om=PL&index=15
    now thats some skills right there.

Just shows how much easier it was to overtake back then, i miss those days
    Congratulations Sebastian Vettel. Champion of the season of seasons.

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by philipbain
    What about Villeneuve around the OUTSIDE of Schumacher on the last corner in Potugal in '96? Have a butchers at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlFWvaQCS1w
    Phil - I was there sitting in that specific stand and I can tell you it was awesome. Lap after lap JV drove up to push the marbles off the outside of the turn and then made his move. He has been very underrated but I have witnessed his talent!!!
    Obama to Biden - "Let the Welfare checks rain upon the Earth - I am going to a barbecue"

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tamburello
    Magic? Magic? Overtaking a car on worn tyres when yours are as fresh as daisies ain't magic, it's inevitable.
    As fresh as daisies - after pounding the guts out of them and producing fastest lap after fastest lap for half the race, making up over half a minute defecit?
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeansBeansBeans
    It was still a lovely little move. Thrillingly executed.

Mansell jinking one way and going the other and Piquet still fought back by going wheel to wheel into the apex of Stowe even though he had the inferior line.

You could use a lot of excuses for some superb overtaking moves, eg. Japan 2005, Alonso blatantly in the superior car overtaking Schumi on the outside into 130R but IMHO it defines a great overtaking move: one where for a second it takes your breath away and admire the sight of racing wheel to wheel.

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    As fresh as daisies - after pounding the guts out of them and producing fastest lap after fastest lap for half the race, making up over half a minute defecit?
    No doubt Mansell's drive that day was impressive, but fresh tyres and increasing the turbo boost gave him the speed advantage. IIRC Williams were telling him to reduce the boost or the fuel wouldn't last, which would perhaps explain why Piquet didn't respond. Luckily for Mansell the fuel did, just about, get him through that last lap.

The fresh tyres thing reminds me of Mansell v Senna at Monaco (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC5AWV8wV_Y). Again, after a pitstop NM was on fresh rubber chasing down the leader. Although it was Monaco, this for me highlighted the difference between the two drivers. Senna, implaccable and in control of the situation. Mansell, dodging and weaving about hoping for an error or something to get an opening. He didn't appear to have the imagination to figure out how to use the advantage he had. Yes, I know it was Monaco...

And another one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG6gT7w5OoU. Watch which driver holds his line down the straight, and which one doesn't.

Still...Mansell had balls. No doubt about that. And speed.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    The fresh tyres thing reminds me of Mansell v Senna at Monaco (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC5AWV8wV_Y). Again, after a pitstop NM was on fresh rubber chasing down the leader. Although it was Monaco, this for me highlighted the difference between the two drivers. Senna, implaccable and in control of the situation. Mansell, dodging and weaving about hoping for an error or something to get an opening. He didn't appear to have the imagination to figure out how to use the advantage he had. Yes, I know it was Monaco...

And another one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG6gT7w5OoU. Watch which driver holds his line down the straight, and which one doesn't.

Still...Mansell had balls. No doubt about that. And speed.
    Typical attacking style from Mansell. He will push for a gap and try go for it, much like Lewis Hamiliton is criticised for moving around.

I remember James Hunt criticised Mansell's macho posturing and thought those movements uneccessary and hazardous. Mansell was the type enjoying showing off how big his balls were. I personally loved it and thought it was a great spectacle.

Even Senna lost his cool composure at times eg. 1991 German GP where he moved across the braking zone and Prost was adamant Senna tried to take him out.

Schumi was the same. He was accused of the infamous Chop all too often and yet he had cool calm composure with no exaggerated movements holding off Hill in Spa 1995 and Alonso at Imola 2006.

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    Typical attacking style from Mansell. He will push for a gap and try go for it, much like Lewis Hamiliton is criticised for moving around.

I remember James Hunt criticised Mansell's macho posturing and thought those movements uneccessary and hazardous. Mansell was the type enjoying showing off how big his balls were. I personally loved it and thought it was a great spectacle.

Even Senna lost his cool composure at times eg. 1991 German GP where he moved across the braking zone and Prost was adamant Senna tried to take him out.

Schumi was the same. He was accused of the infamous Chop all too often and yet he had cool calm composure with no exaggerated movements holding off Hill in Spa 1995 and Alonso at Imola 2006.
    Now you know what you are talking about.......geeass, I could see you mentioning JPM and Andretti in the same breath (we all sin sometimes), but Clark??

I was trying to think of a great pass put on by Clark, but problem is he was always so far out in Qing and the race, there just never was the need for "great passes", as probably more than 95% of his "passes" was when he lapped someone
    Only the dead know the end of war. Plato:beer:

Quote Originally Posted by markabilly
    I was trying to think of a great pass put on by Clark, but problem is he was always so far out in Qing and the race, there just never was the need for "great passes", as probably more than 95% of his "passes" was when he lapped someone
    Monza?

Media coverage was inferior in those 'good old days'.