Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F1 Numbers

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

F1 Numbers

I know in the early years the World Champion did not always carry no 1, there are lots of photos of Fangio with a variety of numbers. I thought by 1965 the no1- WC rule was established. Still in reading a historical report of the 1965 Monaco by Gregor Grant, I notice Brabham is wearing no 1 while Surtees (defending WC) wears no 18. Does anyone have an explanation and could they tell us when the no 1 convention was set.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    The answer to this isn't clear cut.

The most reliable place that records this sort of thing is: http://www.grandprix.com

For the 1967 season, nominally Jack Brabham wore the No.1 plate though for a few GP it found its way onto other cars. Certainly by 1968, in every race No.1 was worn by the World Champion, but there are a few exceptions such as John Watson in 1985 at Brands Hatch

For all intents and purposes the current system began in 1974, where 1 & 2 are worn by the team of the previous season's World Champion.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Personally I prefered it when teams had assigned numbers; Tyrell 3 and 4, Ferrari 27, 28 etc. Moto gp has the right idea. The champ is entitled to no. 1 if they want but if they choose not to run it it remains unassigned.
    All other opinions are wrong....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I liked the 1974-1995 system the best, as it gave a real link to the past. Ukyo Katayama and Mika Salo wore numbers 3 and 4 in 1995 on account of what Jackie Stewart and Francois Cevert achieved in 1973. Ferrari's long run with 27 and 28, romantic as it was, was a constant reminder of the team not having won any (drivers) championships since a relatively young Williams team, bearing 27 and 28, claimed their title (and numbers) in 1980.

To answer the original question:

Up until mid-way through 1973, numbers were assigned pretty much at the discretion of the individual race organisers. This could be in order of reputation, order of the entries being received through the post, while some events such as Monaco had their own unique system (being ordered alphabetically in terms of country name (in the French language) and then make or entrant). This explains your Monaco 1965 observation (Grande-Bretagne < Italie, so Brabham < Ferrari, and indeed Brabham came alphabetically before BRM, Cooper, Lotus etc. so they get 1 & 2)

Sometimes, instead of cars using 1,2,3,4... some events would use 2,4,6,8... with odd numbers sometimes being reserved for spare cars.

Towards the end of the 1960s, as things started to homogenise a bit (most established teams would run two cars and enter for the entire season), things became a bit more structured and yes often the reigning champion would be given number 1, but it was certainly not a given.

Midway through 1973, the numbers were standardised (loosely!) in the following fashion:

1 2 - Lotus
    3 4 - Ferrari
    5 6 - Tyrrell
    7 8 - McLaren
    9 10 11 - Brabham
    12 - Hill
    14 15 - March
    16 17 - Shadow
    19 20 21 - BRM
    22 - Tecno
    23 24 - Surtees
    25 26 - Williams
    27 - Hesketh

But even then the entry lists would fluctuate a little from race to race, and I am guessing that the standardised numbers were as a result of an informal agreement rather than any cast iron rule (especially since they seemed to be loosely based on reputation and such rather than any championship standings, Ferrari had 3 and 4 despite being rubbish at the time).

1974 saw things done according to the previous year's constructors championship order:

1 2 - Lotus
    3 4 - Tyrrell
    5 6 - McLaren
    7 8 - Brabham
    9 10 - March
    11 12 - Ferrari
    14 15 - BRM
    16 17 - Shadow
    18 19 - Surtees
    20 21 - Williams
    22 23 - Ensign
    24 25 - Hesketh
    26 27 - Hill

Although even then, privateer and/or one-off entry numbers could change through the season, and the numbers of BRM, Ensign and the second Hesketh would often be 'borrowed' by one-off entries when not being used themselves.

I actually don't think it was till about 1978 or 1979 that each and every number was used on no more than one car throughout a season!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Wow. Sod wiki - just ask V12.
    All other opinions are wrong....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks V12. Wow!
    There WAS nothing like rallying, Superrally is a joke!

LW Master!!!:champion:

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I wouldn't mind if drivers could choose their own numbers, but each number in the current system directly relates to the previous season's successes and failures, which I like.

I'd like to see a system where maybe the top 5 in the championship had numbers 1-5, and the other numbers were assigned by constructors position.

09 would look like this:

1. Hamilton
    2. Massa
    3. Raikkonen
    4. Kubica
    5. Alonso

then:

6. Kovalainen
    7. Heidfeld
    8. Piquet
    9. Trulli
    10. Glock and so on...

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Great inside in that part of Formula One's history, but why is nobody talking about the number 0. The last driver who got the number 0 has been Damon Hill in 1992, I think.

And why have not been given the number 13?

Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    13 has been used twice - Moises Solana and Divina Galica, if memory serves - but was dismissed for the usual superstitious reasons.

Aside from Damon Hill, number 0 did go to Jody Scheckter in a third McLaren for a couple of Grands Prix in 1973.

And the largest number to appear on a Formula 1 car was 208, before anyone asks. Something to do with Radio Luxembourg I think.
    https://wordpress.com/stats/insights/stugrovesf1.wordpress.com

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inimitablestoo
    13 has been used twice - Moises Solana and Divina Galica, if memory serves - but was dismissed for the usual superstitious reasons.

Aside from Damon Hill, number 0 did go to Jody Scheckter in a third McLaren for a couple of Grands Prix in 1973.

And the largest number to appear on a Formula 1 car was 208, before anyone asks. Something to do with Radio Luxembourg I think.
    That was Lella Lombardi in a privateer Brabham i think
    "Alboreto, into the pits, and im going to stop the startwatch" (Murray Walker, Monaco 1987)