Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Cool C.O.T, and other Restrictor Plate rules

Looking through the archived forum (thanks Mark for making it happen ) I ran a search on my old posts. I found one (which happend to be my second post ever) which was in a thread in which we were having a discussion on restrictor plate racing and the cars themselves. This thread was started after the October 2001 race at Talladega (the one where Bobby Labonte was leading with one to go, blocked someone, I think it was Sterling Marlin, coming off of turn two, and ended up on his roof, handing Jr the win). We were having a heated discussion back and forth about plate sizes, track dimensions, (etc).

This was my contribution to that thread:

Ideas (post #27) October 25, 2001

"I will say this much. I have seen a great many ideas from people
    like us who have little or now [sic] actual experience with racing, per se,
    and the great majority of them are great ones. What I can't for the life of me understand is why all those highly paid, highly trained
    "experts" can't seem to come up with any.
    My last post not withstanding (and I do hate plates), at least they
    could give them 1 inch plates, get rid of all that extra draft package, lower the spoilers back down, raise the green house, and mandate the shocks to make the cars handle poorly. The 1 inch plate would give them right around 500hp or so, and the extra drag of the higher greenhouse would roughly make the cars comparable to the late '80's cars (I can already hear the howels of displeasure) and keep the speeds right around 210....May be even someone would challenge
    Bill Elliot's qualiying record, but we would not be seeing 230.
    But I know I am dreaming, because Nascar hates the thought of anything
    over 195...."
    1 inch plate, Higher Greenhouse ? Sounds an awful lot like the car of tomorrow, doesn't it?

Nascar has been mandating the rear shocks since 2002.

They have done away with the spoiler and gone to a wing on the COT.

Maybe NASCAR reads these forums after al!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    #4 2014 Sprint Cup Champion, 2007 Daytona 500,2003 Brickyard 400,2x Coke 600,2014 Southern 500 Champ: 962 starts,90 wins, 345 T5s, 544 T10s, 44 poles, 2x NNS champ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    They are hoping the CoT solves enough problems that they can get rid of the plates.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Talking

I think the COT is a big step in the right direction.
    No doubt there will be some tweaks made along the way.

I seriously doubt that the Car Of Tommorow will allow doing away with the restrictor plates ...
    Perhaps the plates can be opened-up a little but NASCAR will never completely remove them. JMO
    2008 ESPN Stockcar Challenge MSF Champion :D
    2007 Yahoo! Boogity Boogity Boogity Champion :D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Restrictor plates can't/won't b eliminated until NASCAR can figure out how to live with fuel injection. Then it would go to an inlet restrictor. The difference is that the plates kill torque while the inlet restrictor only limits peak HP. The results would be to reduce the difference between an open and restricted engine from a design/development perspective, provide identical bottom end torque to an unrestricted engine allowing acceleration, and limit top speed exactly as the plates do now with far fewer side effects.

Since the plates produce pack racing it's resonable to expect inlet restrictors would do the same. The differenc is that the cars will have torque that could help get them out of trouble and provide opportunities to avoid the "big one."

Quote Originally Posted by RaceFanStan
    I think the COT is a big step in the right direction.
    No doubt there will be some tweaks made along the way.

I seriously doubt that the Car Of Tommorow will allow doing away with the restrictor plates ...
    Perhaps the plates can be opened-up a little but NASCAR will never completely remove them. JMO
    Peter Olivola (polivola@sbcglobal.net)
    "Too dumb for opera
    too smart for NASCAR"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    it would be awesome if they took off the plates but i doubt that happens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Restrictor plates can't/won't b eliminated until NASCAR can figure out how to live with fuel injection.
    Fuel Injection will give them a lot more flexibilty as well. Yes the extra torque is a real advantage.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I wonder then why the hold up on going to Fuel Injection?? NASCAR has proven they aren't afraid to make changes. I know policing for cheating might be tougher, but maybe a fuel injection supplier can make a bolt on kit that can be kept by NASCAR and placed on the motors at the race track with seals might be an option? I am not a mechanic but if possible, would be a lot like how CART used to hand out pop off valves to regulate the turbo pressure...

I know, someone is going to tell me this is a dumb idea, but we all agree Fuel Injection would give drivers a better chance of being able to jump in and out of the throttle on the big tracks to avoid trouble, so it is an idea.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    I wonder then why the hold up on going to Fuel Injection?? NASCAR has proven they aren't afraid to make changes. I know policing for cheating might be tougher, but maybe a fuel injection supplier can make a bolt on kit that can be kept by NASCAR and placed on the motors at the race track with seals might be an option? I am not a mechanic but if possible, would be a lot like how CART used to hand out pop off valves to regulate the turbo pressure...

I know, someone is going to tell me this is a dumb idea, but we all agree Fuel Injection would give drivers a better chance of being able to jump in and out of the throttle on the big tracks to avoid trouble, so it is an idea.
    I agree. NASCAR should go to fuel injection but make the teams run sealed fuel injection units supplied to them when they arrive at the track.
    Cup - Stewart, Kahne & Labonte
    IRL - Hornish, Castroneves & Dixon
    F1 - Alonso, Hamilton & Räikkönen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The first step towards fuel injection is the shift to non-leaded fuel. With Toyota coming in, the COT, etc, it is only a matter of time before we see fuel injection.

The question is how will they introduce it? I suspect a one or two year phase in program with current engine blocks, followed by either a) A NASCAR designed/approved "engine of the future" or b) modern stock block engines like Fords mod motors and GM's Gen III/IV LS engines. With fuel injection a balance could be met even with differeing displacements and valve-train technologies.
    Racing season is soon upon us!:smokin:

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Could we see a 4 valve motor in the future?? Overhead Cam motors? With air restrictors, engines of different types could be regulated similar to what is happening in ALMS. We may end up with the potential for variety in motors where we have lost the variety in bodyshells. Of course this being NASCAR, I suspect there will be Carb's on the motors for at least 5 years, so I wont hold my breath....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".