Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    Could we see a 4 valve motor in the future?? Overhead Cam motors? With air restrictors, engines of different types could be regulated similar to what is happening in ALMS. We may end up with the potential for variety in motors where we have lost the variety in bodyshells. Of course this being NASCAR, I suspect there will be Carb's on the motors for at least 5 years, so I wont hold my breath....
    That's exactly what I'm saying. I think we are well beyond the days of ever seeing true stock car racing on ovals, but it is not out of the realm of possibility that we'll see fuel injected cars of varying design duking it out in the future.

The ALMS formula isn't perfect and neither would NASCAR be, but it would sure give us car fans something else to watch and root for in NASCAR.

Just imagine Chevy LS2's or LS7's duking it out v.s. 5.4 DOHC Ford Mod motors v.s. Dodge Hemi's v.s. Toyota....oh, uh, well, err....Turbo Supra engines? Hell, it doesn't have to be a V8!
    Racing season is soon upon us!:smokin:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss Ghoul
    That's exactly what I'm saying. I think we are well beyond the days of ever seeing true stock car racing on ovals, but it is not out of the realm of possibility that we'll see fuel injected cars of varying design duking it out in the future.

The ALMS formula isn't perfect and neither would NASCAR be, but it would sure give us car fans something else to watch and root for in NASCAR.

Just imagine Chevy LS2's or LS7's duking it out v.s. 5.4 DOHC Ford Mod motors v.s. Dodge Hemi's v.s. Toyota....oh, uh, well, err....Turbo Supra engines? Hell, it doesn't have to be a V8!
    I don't think we're taking about that. I think the idea would be to replace the carburetor with fuel injectors. With the exception of the carbs, NASCAR uses very advanced OHV engines.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss Ghoul

I don't think we're taking about that. I think the idea would be to replace the carburetor with fuel injectors. With the exception of the carbs, NASCAR uses very advanced OHV engines.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Don't forget that NASCAR is all about control.
    IF there is a way NASCAR can police fuel injection it may happen.
    However if NASCAR can't police fuel injection it will NEVER happen !
    2008 ESPN Stockcar Challenge MSF Champion :D
    2007 Yahoo! Boogity Boogity Boogity Champion :D

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BenRoethig
    You realize that a pushrod v-8 and advanced shouldnt really go together in the same sentence...

It amazes me the amount of refinement NASCAR engine builders have put into these things but when you get right down to it, the motors are still very crude. Carbs are not precise, Pushrod valvetrains are limited in how much punishment they can take.....in short, it is still a very powerful motor, but it is limited.

Of course though, the point is made. If NASCAR can control things, they will allow the advancement. I guess they haven't put much thought to a Fuel Injection system that can be controlled or policed through NASCAR. I know they don't want computers running any part of the motor. When you have a computer, you can hack it....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    You realize that a pushrod v-8 and advanced shouldnt really go together in the same sentence...
    Strongly disagree.

The Gen III/IV Chevy small blocks are very advanced, there's nothing wrong with refinining a technology and pushing it's limits.

The LS7 in the Corvette Z06 makes 505hp and can achieve as much as 30mpg...I don't see any DOHC multi-valved engines coming even close to that number naturally aspirated or otherwise.
    Racing season is soon upon us!:smokin:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't see why NASCAR has to freak out when the cars break 200 these days. They're built a lot safer than they were 6 years ago. I think Geoffrey Bodine showed us all that the catch fence can stop an airborne car.

I think I've stated how I feel about fuel injection and OHC engines. I'm just not sure where I stated that anymore.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd