Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Michigan finish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If I was a Mark Martin fan I would've been a little miffed at his flip-flops on retirement. That said, he's still racing and winning to boot. Why would his fans be ticked off about that?

I'm not a Mark fan per se but I do have a lot of respect for him. He's one of the cleanest racers out there and is always a gentleman.
    "You win some, lose some, and wreck some." - Dale Earnhardt

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexamateo
    I'll defend Mark here and say to remember that at least once, Jack Roush asked him to come back.

Also, maybe it's not so much that he wants to retire as he wants some time off or a sabbatical so to speak, but it's almost impossible to do that these days. I'd imagine that Mark was burned out and wanted to retire, but first Jack asks him back. He later realizes that it's not so much wanting to retire as to cut back. He's able to work out a deal to run part time for a couple of years and then gets his second wind and now he's back and ready to go again.

Nascar has the longest season in sports except for maybe golf, and no one on the golf tour plays every tournament. 38 major race weekends a year, and except for maybe two weeks in Charlotte, there are no home games. There's a huge burnout factor.
    I agree. I have no problem with Mark changing his mind about retiring. I think he is having more fun and enjoying racin now more than he has for quite a few years.

I can relate to Mark. I was retired for many a year and last year I went back to work. I worked for 6 months for a Company and had an apartment and then I decided to call it quits. However, they asked me if I would continue working for them out of my home. I now work between 35 and 40 hours a week for them at home and am enjoying my work very much.
    "If you can help others, and fail to do so, your time on earth has been wasted" - Roberto Clemente

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvick#1
    I'm not a fan of his, but that doesn't mean I dont respect the guy, we all have reason why we like and dislike drivers, my dislike has been since 2005, I didn't mind Mark until then, but when he fakes retirements, that sort of pisses me off as a young guy, (I'm out of a job because of being pushed out by the older guys at work that SHOULD be RETIRED).

Bitter...and stupid reasoning.

A man should be allowed to work as long as he is able to to the job.

What was going on at Roush when Mark was looking at retirement was Jack wore Mark out and Mark was looking to go part time or out all together to help his son race. He couldn't give it up entirely, so he went part time. Jack delayed his "retirement" by 2 years because Jack couldn't figure a way to do without Mark.

Mark goes part time for 2 years and people whine. Last time I looked, America was a free country. You are free to change your mind, and based on the results, Mark Martin can do the job. You can kiss his @ss, because he is winning races, by smarts, guile, and skill. He may not be beating and banging on guys, but a win is a win.

Harvick. Seniorty is a union thing, yell at your union, since I believe I knew where you worked.

As for your contention those "old" guys should retire so you can keep working, try that crap out when you are 50 and see how you like it. Try finding a job at 50 coming from a blue collar job. Good luck to ya....you are young enough to get off your @ss and go get a new job. I have had to do it 3 times but I am not so damned bitter than I blame others for it, it is part of life and living...
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".