Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Brickyard 400 Troubles?

Looks like the B/Y 400 tire issues still aren't solved yet.

http://thescore.ibj.com/blogshell.asp?p=983

Last year, the race was yellow flagged every nine laps to avoid tire blowouts, in what many called the worst NASCAR race of the year. NASCAR officials told IBJ the problem is not completely solved. Recent tire tests showed the Goodyear tires might last 15 to 25 laps depending on the weather.

Twenty five laps is optimistic. One NASCAR insider said “one good rain” shortly before the race could wash all the rubber out of the racing groove and cause big problems with the race yet again. There is one more tire test scheduled before this year’s Brickyard 400, where Goodyear will continue to wrestle with the rubber compound mix.
    DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I say let the teams run and pit when necessary, if they try that yellow flag crap again then they will lose mostly its entire audience.

this is a race, the drivers will have to learn when they are at the edge and pit, I think it would be a very interesting race if Nascar doesn't take the ball into their own hands and just let them race
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvick#1
    I say let the teams run and pit when necessary, if they try that yellow flag crap again then they will lose mostly its entire audience.

this is a race, the drivers will have to learn when they are at the edge and pit, I think it would be a very interesting race if Nascar doesn't take the ball into their own hands and just let them race

They'll still have the yellows, but they will be for cars wadded up in the fence. They'll still lose their audience.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roy
    They'll still have the yellows, but they will be for cars wadded up in the fence. They'll still lose their audience.
    You are forgetting how much the audience enjoys crashes!

Quote Originally Posted by harvick#1

this is a race, the drivers will have to learn when they are at the edge and pit, I think it would be a very interesting race if Nascar doesn't take the ball into their own hands and just let them race.
    I agree.
    N.Hayden L.Hamilton D.Earnhardt R.Gordon S.Speed T.Stewart J.P.Montoya G.Rahal Ferrari Lotus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by e2mtt
    You are forgetting how much the audience enjoys crashes!
    You're right, it is in Indianapolis.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    let them race and when someone blows a tire and hits the wall - viola caution
    the brickyard wont need any phony debri cautions to keep everybody close together
    blowed out tires will cause plenty of cautions to bunch the cars and satisfy nascars goal of a tight field
    teams will need to bring a truckload of extra sheet metal if they hope to finish the race
    thanks to goodyear and their lack of technology to make a good racing tire for indy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Oh great. I see another Brickyard Wreckfest in our future.
    "You win some, lose some, and wreck some." - Dale Earnhardt

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I think the new car has created this issue at Indy because of its higher CG. We didn't have this issue with the old car. Not sure what the solution is, but if Goodyear cannot get a tire to run there, than I suspect they may not keep the job as NASCAR tire supplier in the long run. I cannot and refuse to believe a tire cannot be designed to hold up to Indy.

I just know that if they do the 10 lap sprint followed by cautions a test pattern will get better ratings. Goodyear I think will get it right....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    I think the new car has created this issue at Indy because of its higher CG. We didn't have this issue with the old car. Not sure what the solution is, but if Goodyear cannot get a tire to run there, than I suspect they may not keep the job as NASCAR tire supplier in the long run. I cannot and refuse to believe a tire cannot be designed to hold up to Indy.

I just know that if they do the 10 lap sprint followed by cautions a test pattern will get better ratings. Goodyear I think will get it right....
    They could stop running Indy altogether.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldhippie
    let them race and when someone blows a tire and hits the wall - viola caution
    the brickyard wont need any phony debri cautions to keep everybody close together
    blowed out tires will cause plenty of cautions to bunch the cars and satisfy nascars goal of a tight field
    teams will need to bring a truckload of extra sheet metal if they hope to finish the race
    thanks to goodyear and their lack of technology to make a good racing tire for indy
    or teams know this and have to pit on their own "play it as it lies"

thats like saying they should have a 4 hour break every 8 hours in the 24 hours of Lemans to let the cars cool down.

its racing, and its racing the elements, so now instead of everyone driver 100% of the car everylap, they are gonna have to slow it down. this race could actually be very interesting as long as teams keeps very close of how the tires wear and Nascar not putting its nose into fake cautions
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)