Page 1 of 130 1231151101 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rally Great Britain 2009

Hello All

Please can you help me? Does anyone know what is happening with the Welsh Rally BG 2009? I had planned on going as a surprise for my partner but no one seems to know if it is still going ahead.................so I am consulting the oracles!!

Liked 84 Times in 30 Posts
    The organisers are ready to go with releasing route details etc., but can't do so until the dispute between the sponsors (Welsh Assembly Government) and promoters has been resolved.

If it can't be resolved and ends up in the courts, I suspect the sponsors will win and the rally will have no title sponsor and a £3m funding deficit, making it quite possible that the rally won't run......

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Whinlatter
    The organisers are ready to go with releasing route details etc., but can't do so until the dispute between the sponsors (Welsh Assembly Government) and promoters has been resolved.

If it can't be resolved and ends up in the courts, I suspect the sponsors will win and the rally will have no title sponsor and a £3m funding deficit, making it quite possible that the rally won't run......
    Interesting piece in this weeks MNews, by Jerry Williams - regarding RallyGB. He reckons they (IMS/MSA) should bite the bullet and accept that they won't get the money off WAG - and run a 'back-to-basics' event.
    While I agree, I can't see it happening - what needs to be asked is, Where does all the money go? The old RAC's didn't need that kind of funding - it's basically now a 'cash-cow' and needs to be reigned in.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
    The event is running regardless of what happens apparently.
    Twitter - @Rallycameraman

MJW
    And long term political supporter Rt Hon Peter Hain has just been re-appointed at Secretary for State for Wales.(friday afternoon 5th june) Peter is a true petrol head and was one of the big political hitters to behind the Wales Rally GB concept. Time to kick some a$$ and sort this current impasse out.
    Always trouble when you have Government bodies sponsoring rallies, political whim changes like the wind..........not good, get a commercial rather than government sponsor.

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MJW
    And long term political supporter Rt Hon Peter Hain has just been re-appointed at Secretary for State for Wales.(friday afternoon 5th june) Peter is a true petrol head and was one of the big political hitters to behind the Wales Rally GB concept. Time to kick some a$$ and sort this current impasse out.
    Always trouble when you have Government bodies sponsoring rallies, political whim changes like the wind..........not good, get a commercial rather than government sponsor.
    Must admit, I'm not keen on a Government/Regional Assembly sponsoring an event like this. Are any other World Rallies or Grand Prix sponsored like this?
    I may be wrong, but I get the feeling it is now thought of as being a Welsh event - and that it is their event. Press releases about £10million for the Welsh economy - and that the event can't be lost for Wales. Excuse me, it's the British round of the WRC.
    I have 2 thoughts about this issue:
    Yes, it should run as it's our only chance to see the top cars/drivers in UK.
    No, because there is the chance that changes could be made regarding the organising/financing of the event. It surely can't go on fleecing spectators.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i agree with you andy, with the I.R.C. coming to Scotland, and the RAC rally growing from strength to strength , and both events have an itinary will spectators abandon WalesGB , and book there time off , and spend thier cash on those events , just a thought

MJW
    Quote Originally Posted by wotaguy
    i agree with you andy, with the I.R.C. coming to Scotland, and the RAC rally growing from strength to strength , and both events have an itinary will spectators abandon WalesGB , and book there time off , and spend thier cash on those events , just a thought
    I think this is precisely what the sponsor is seeing......... Committed money to WRC when there were more than two teams, overall coverage was better, now a combination of factors, including the negativity on rallyforums about WRC is causing that sponsor to think we want out. Ryder cup golf doesnt have the negativity / confusion currently surrounding WRC. ISC may 'big it up (wrc) at every opportunity' but truth is IRC has the teams and the drivers and 'more traditional rally format' the suits didnt listen in time.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    very intresting point MJW, about the sponsers, true about the Ryder Cup.oh well we will watch this space.......

Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wotaguy
    I'll still do Rally GB. When else do you get to see the worlds best?
    Twitter - @Rallycameraman