Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pastrana/Block Subaru Impreza 2009

Hi

I've been browsing the rally america web site and looking at the image galleries I noticed that Pastrana's Car (and Block's as well) is now featuring a big wing very similar to that in the S14. Before, the car didn't have this and looked almost exactly like the N14. I also noticed that the car has the exhaust located in the middle of the back bumper.

I wanted to ask to those more familiar to rally america, what upgrades has Vermont SportsCar done to the 2009 Impreza?

Have they done any work with Prodrive/SWRT? (thus the wing...)

and also, how different is this Impreza to the N14? I know the rules for the open category in RallyAmerica are different to Group N and that the restrictior is bigger (right??) but what else is different?
    Dont know why but watching some footage, rally america Imprezas look a little bit more spectacular than say N14s last weekend in Sardinia... (beforehand I say sorry to purist that dont like rally america, and specially Ken Block, but Im a big fan of Pastrana... really think hes done a lot for the sport)

AND, do VSC builds the cars from scratch or do they get any help from Prodrive/Makinen??

Thanks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Open class rules mean that cars can use 2.5L engines (most use 2.3 or 2.5) and 34mm restrictor. Weight limit is around 1250KGs so cars are lighter than GpN cars, and generally dont carry any/many spares or tools as legs are quite short.

VSC build all their cars from scratch, and over the years have stepped up their levels of build. Recently they have been doing a very good job and their current cars are a big step on from GpN. They sufferered with nose-diving heavily over high speed jumps on the '08 cars and have moved to the S14 rear wing, i guess to try and combat that.

The cars are more fun to drive and watch than GpN, but they dont have to cope with rough stages in the US so probably arent as strong.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Robbie said most of it, but I reckon the cars are a fair bit stronger than GrN cars -- they use improved TCAs and lat links to start with.

Regards,
    - Christian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    more rear suspension travel than N14

front mount intercooler

carbon panels

lexan windows

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    thanks for the info guys!
    How do you think an open class would compare to a S2000?