Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 385 Times in 191 Posts
    Too much too soon.
    Building a career in lower classes seems still be the way to go. Look at Loeb and Sordo for example.

Wilson and to a certain extent Latvala are examples of going too big cars too soon. I'm afraid same will happen to the Norwegian young guns as well. I'm not sad if I'm wrong in that

Liked 67 Times in 31 Posts
    One year ago i was alone in my opinion, but now i'm not alone mokin:

Like Cod wrote start on the top is not a good option.

The image of the driver could be burn burn forever, because we will always be seen as rich boy that evaluated by obligation and not by natural skills. Drivers with natural skills is what i search for. The WRC is the place for the best ones or the ones that are near the best ones. His eventual speed will never have the real value.

But is the sad reallity, this is the future direction. However this is not a reason to not coment the situation.

In Portugal he have Armindo Araújo, started with a Grp N Renault Clio 16V and after with a Saxo Cup. Two years on these cars and two titles. Next was the Saxo Kit Car during 3 years with three titles, next two years with a Grp N Mitsubishi and two more titles. And this year (finaly and a bit late) the PWRC... and a fantastic perfomance on his debut in snow. That is growing step by step. That is the way.
    Three gears are enough!

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Wilson Threads should be illegal

Jokes apart i think that Wilson is nothing more than a warmbold case...maybe in 2-3 years he manages to do some respecatble times in top 10 when the entry lists are good and that will be it....but i doubt speedwise he will ever be among top 6.

As for the other issue that of taking rally step by step...sometimes this way doesn't lead you anywhere...and you get stuck in the lower classes for ever like Meeke.

Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts
    Name: Mathew Wilson
    Position: The son

Nothing more to say...

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    I agree that young Wilson is off the pace and perhaps he should have stayed in the lower classes BUT...give the kid a break.After all he HAS been thrown into the "deep end" hasnt he?? Ill give him some more time before I decide wether or not he should be competing at this level.I mean..if my Dad ran a WRC team I know Id want a shot at it...wether I was competitive or not!!!!!
    To finish first,first you must finish!!!

Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts
    Well, I often compare young Wilson to Andreas Aigner. Both of them are young boys and both of them came to WRChamp last year. Wilson had an advantage that he ran WRC car already before 2006 season in the UK. But Aigner's first contact with WRC happened when coming to 2006 Monte Carlo. And although the Austrian did generally better performance in all 2006 season. Aigner is also "created pop-star", but in my opinion he has better skills to drive a rally car than Willson. And he has to try to do his best in PWRC, because if he will not have made good result in production car, the door to WRC will shut.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    You make a good point Karbonyl....I am sure Matthew is going to have to prove he is deserving of his seat at some point...we will see.....
    To finish first,first you must finish!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I remember some Francois Duval in Sweden 2002, first time in a WRCar, no snow experience, driving in a much stronger field than there's now, and got 10th. That's what I call pure talent.

I don't think Duval will be champion, because he never got much faster.

This is what I mean, you can't say much about a driver that's still so young. You can only hope he will improve..
    RIP Marco Simoncelli

Liked 67 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.T
    As for the other issue that of taking rally step by step...sometimes this way doesn't lead you anywhere...and you get stuck in the lower classes for ever like Meeke.
    There's nothing to do with the Wilson situation. Without the right support you never reach nothing, with or without skills. But with skills SOMETIMES you can atract attention and to receive something good, unfortunatelly only sometimes. But that's it, Wilson with a Focus WRC and Meeke without it. If you are sad by not having a top driver on WRC ask to Malcon Wilson and Eddie Stobart where is his british spirit.

I'm against the guy made rallystar without skills.
    Three gears are enough!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    For me, as an outsider, its doing Stobarts image harm continually flogging a dead horse. It doesnt really show with good business acumen...

It might last till the end of the season, but that will be it.
    ------------------------------------
    But you can call me Buzz
    email: buzz@pixar.com