Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Move the 600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    NASCAR starting a race before 2 o'clock? Brian France isn't even out of bed at 2 o'clock!
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roy
    For me, I could care less if a driver tries to do both races. It's a novelty, that's all.

And in this day and time, with the technology of TIVO and DVR, there is no reason that anyone has to make a choice between one race or the other. I rarely watch a race live anymore . . . . or anything else for that matter. If I had to sit through those interminable advertisements, I'd go batty.

MOVE THE 600 BACK TO A NOON STARTING TIME!!!!!! I'D BET YOU WOULD FIND THAT THE INDY 500 WOULD COME UP WITH A NEW DATE!!!!!
    Lee Roy, NASCAR aint going to do that. They have always deferred to Indy since they started running the race on the same day and national TV came along. Indy has seniority in terms of history and the people at NASCAR have always respected that. AS for the TIVO/DVR idea, advertisers wont go for it because they don't want you watching either race on TIVO or DVR. They know if you watch it live, you watch the commercials. They know you watch it later on TIVO, you are zipping BY the commercials. TV wont allow it even if NASCAR wanted to do it, but It is a double whammy. NASCAR wont want the bad blood and bad PR they would get for running both shows at the same time. They will do it against any other IRL property, but the Indy 500 was the first national race in the USA and always will be. You don't spit on 100 years of history....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Lee Roy, NASCAR aint going to do that. They have always deferred to Indy since they started running the race on the same day and national TV came along. Indy has seniority in terms of history and the people at NASCAR have always respected that. AS for the TIVO/DVR idea, advertisers wont go for it because they don't want you watching either race on TIVO or DVR. They know if you watch it live, you watch the commercials. They know you watch it later on TIVO, you are zipping BY the commercials. TV wont allow it even if NASCAR wanted to do it, but It is a double whammy. NASCAR wont want the bad blood and bad PR they would get for running both shows at the same time. They will do it against any other IRL property, but the Indy 500 was the first national race in the USA and always will be. You don't spit on 100 years of history....
    A little history here is relevant.

First, the Indy 500 used to be run on May 30th, no matter what day it fell on (I believe I'm right, but if anyone knows better, please say). It was the Indy 500 that moved to the Sunday before the Federal Holiday, the same day that NASCAR had been running the 600 since it's inception. That's why the Allison's and Cale Yarborough and Lee Roy Yarbrough used to be able to run the Indy 500.

After that the 600 and the Indy 500 both ran at the same time on the same day until Lowes MS put in lights, then NASCAR moved to an evening race.

I hate wasting a perfectly good afternoon waiting for the 600 to start. If they started it a 1:00 (or 2:00), they would have about 10 hours or so to get the race in due to having lights at Lowes MS. A rain shower won't move the race to Monday.

Eff the Indy 500. If they don't like the competition, too bad. They can barely attract a full field of their little kit cars anymore. Let them move back to their traditional 30 May race date, that is, if tradition means anything to them.

You are right about the Tivo & DVR. I LOVE being able to fast forward through commercials.
    DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Waisting an afternoon? You don't have to sit and watch NASCAR Race Day. You could go outside, read, or do whatever it is you would normally do after a day race ends.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_andrew
    Waisting an afternoon? You don't have to sit and watch NASCAR Race Day. You could go outside, read, or do whatever it is you would normally do after a day race ends.
    Never thought of that... !

Or you could do what most of us race fans do... watch the Indy 500, take a break, watch the 600, 10 hours of racing in one day! (including the Monaco GP of course)
    N.Hayden L.Hamilton D.Earnhardt R.Gordon S.Speed T.Stewart J.P.Montoya G.Rahal Ferrari Lotus

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roy
    A little history here is relevant.

First, the Indy 500 used to be run on May 30th, no matter what day it fell on (I believe I'm right, but if anyone knows better, please say). It was the Indy 500 that moved to the Sunday before the Federal Holiday, the same day that NASCAR had been running the 600 since it's inception. That's why the Allison's and Cale Yarborough and Lee Roy Yarbrough used to be able to run the Indy 500.

After that the 600 and the Indy 500 both ran at the same time on the same day until Lowes MS put in lights, then NASCAR moved to an evening race.

I hate wasting a perfectly good afternoon waiting for the 600 to start. If they started it a 1:00 (or 2:00), they would have about 10 hours or so to get the race in due to having lights at Lowes MS. A rain shower won't move the race to Monday.

Eff the Indy 500. If they don't like the competition, too bad. They can barely attract a full field of their little kit cars anymore. Let them move back to their traditional 30 May race date, that is, if tradition means anything to them.

You are right about the Tivo & DVR. I LOVE being able to fast forward through commercials.
    You just find it impossible to like one thing without ripping into another do you?

Fortunately, NASCAR doesn't look at it that way. One of the reasons the lights worked so well for NASCAR and Lowe's is that they get their own time to get the ratings. If I am supposed to pick and choose, as much as I love NASCAR, I will watch the Indy 500. Sorry, I can watch a NASCAR race that is too long on a cookie cutter mile and a half about 16 times a season. There is NOTHING like the Indy 500 and while I rarely watch most of the Indy car races, I don't miss many NASCAR events. That said, you make me choose, and you may not like my call.

The whole point of having the two races not on at the same time is to give themselves a shot at a bigger TV audience. If you are NASCAR, you can only lose viewers by having the two races on at the same time.

As for them always having the race on May 30, I somehow think maybe in ancient times, but I have watched the Indy 500 on a Sunday every time I watched it, and I started watching it on the old ABC tape delay when I was about 6....(that would be 1971)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Personally...the rain aside, I thought the Indy 500 was a much more exciting race than that crap fest at Lowe's Monday morning, afternoon & evening.
    I'm choosing Joey Logano as my avatar. I feel he is a worthy ally.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tstran17_88
    Personally...the rain aside, I thought the Indy 500 was a much more exciting race than that crap fest at Lowe's Monday morning, afternoon & evening.
    Apparently, you're one of the few. This year's Indy 500 actually got the lowest TV rating ever.
    DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yeah, it wasn't a very good Indy 500, but it was better than hours of red flags separating minutes of racing.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_andrew
    Yeah, it wasn't a very good Indy 500, but it was better than hours of red flags separating minutes of racing.
    Or better than 10 lap stints of green followed by 3 or 4 laps of Yellow while everyone changes their tires.