I have been to oval races DocF225, unfortunately never to the I500, I love wandering the paddock at road courses and oval races (walking trough the pits on road courses is still the second best activity I love doing at a course, watching practice in every turn is my favorite one).
Donīt get me wrong, I didnīt intend to imply that no technical skill is needed in an oval, driving a car that fast for almost all of the race with a wall at one of the ends requires not only skill but also a lot of courage (yes, itīs safer now to be a racer than 10, 20 and 30 years ago, but itīs still for brave men and women), but it is a lot more difficult to pass someone on a road course than on an oval, itīs the nature of road courses, passing is very hard.
Some people find road courses boring just because of that, passing is so hard you only get a few passes, others like me find that because it is so hard to do, and because you only get a few a lot more exciting, others find ovals very exciting because of all of the passing, almost every lap most of the drivers are either trying to pass or defend their position, others like me find them entertaining but without special moments.
WHat Iīm trying to say is that I find oval races entertaining, almost every race is very entertaining, very hard to get a boring oval race, but also very difficult to get an outstanding oval race, road courses on the other side you get quite a few boring races, you get some good races, and you get a very few outstanding races, thos kind of races you will talk about for years, but as my grandfather used to say about bull fighting, you have to attend andwatch every one to get the outstanding one.
But then again, who knows what my tastes would be like if I was born in the US and my dad had took me to CART races instead of F1 races.