Great analogy Jose, I understand it completely, but come from the opposite side.

As you may recall, I am an American married to a Mexican girl. I never had an appreciation of futbol until 2002. My wife's brother came and spent the summer with us. He of course wanted to watch the World Cup, so I was getting up at 2:30 in the morning and watching games with him. Watching games with someone knowledgable really made me love the game and learn it, appreciate it's ebb and flow. I find that some things are like that, they have to be watched at a different level. For me, Baseball, Soccer, and Road Racing are sports you need a certain level of knowledge before you can truly appreciate it. It's different than the over the top entertainment level of Basketball, American Football, or Oval Racing.

That said, the Indianapolis 500 is the greatest race in the world, bar none. I come from Memphis, TN and Memphis is a sprint car town, producing such drivers as Sammy Swindell, Jeff Swindell, Ricky Hood, and Bobby Davis Jr. There wasn't much racing on tv in the late 70's, but my dad would watch it whenever it came on, and he'd taken me a few times to Riverside Speedway (a 1/4 mile dirt track just across the river in West Memphis, AR, (the place the Swindells and the Hoods et al got their start) It's been in continual operation from the 50's up until today.) I liked racing, but my dad got tickets to the 1981 Indy 500 and from then on, I loved it.

Have you ever been to the race? If you ever went there, I think you would know, you would understand. It's the crowd, the noise, the speed, the methanol, the tension in the air in the moments leading up to the race just dripping with history. The tension built up over being there a whole month, (and that's an important part), and of all the years that have gone before leading up to Now. I can feel it even through the television.

Is there hope for you? Sure, just go to the race with someone who knows and appreciates it.

I am not a racing elitist, I like it all. I used to think road racing was boring, but now I see it on a different level, and I'm sure you can learn to appreciate the nuances and flows of Oval racing too.