Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
    1,6 turbo sounds OK but only if it's kept under simple rules,like the old Group A!!!

Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts

Long term planning - or not

Quote Originally Posted by Iskald
    I second that. If they allow a decent sized restrictor in the 1.6T the transition to a smaller and somewhat more restricted engine will not be so dramatic. I really applaud if FIA brings this rule forward, instead of running two interim seasons (2011 and 2012) to S2000 engine rule, which from the onset seemed meaningless.

Many of you like the sound of S2000 n/a engine. Is that why you follow rallying - to listen to the cars? As long as the cars sound nice you don`t mind them performing like shopping trolleys? Not my cup of tea, I regret to inform...
    This can of course be discussed from here to eternety, and never agree.

But for me; Yes sounf is part of the experience as a spectator. And a S2000 sounds more like a competiton car than especially GrN and also to a certain extent WRC, due to the low revs.

For group N, they have now alloved almost every part of the car to be modified, so why not give themm a decent exhaust as well. This is also a security issue, since hearing a Gr N car coming can be hard, and with a lot of spectators wandering the SS's thiat could get ugly !

I think is is apauling to see the power Ford and Citroen has with both FIA and ISC, since almost everything they say is being followed. It must be a bit frustrating for the now 10-11 manufacturers that buildt a S2000 to be part of the new WRC, that in tha last possible minute the 1,6 T comes in from the right, and suddenlywill be the thing to have, and not only from 2013, but maybe already from 2011, and that you can compete with the current WRCar until 1,6T takes over - that is a lot of wasted money !

I do not really care if the end result is 2000 NA or 1600T, as long as it meets the requirements, and is so simple and cheap that more manufacturers and privat teams can afford to compete.

If I had done so bad staff work in my job, as FIA has done here, I would have been kicked out and been asked to do damage somewhere else. Planning is everything, it has been said - and the long term planning in this case has not even been there. This has to be improved for FIA as such, it is not only Rally that has a challenge, F1 is not much better off !

Quote Originally Posted by Sulland
    This is also a security issue, since hearing a Gr N car coming can be hard, and with a lot of spectators wandering the SS's thiat could get ugly

Oh come on,can you seriously say that Group N cars can't be heard?!?

In Slovenia I heard them coming 20 secs before it came,in a normal environment!

Am I seriously the only one who sees Group N as a attractive class???

It's maybe because I grew up in a part of Europe where it's a top class and all the top drivers drive it.

Liked 11,171 Times in 4,437 Posts
    When it's windy or when the gr.N car doesn't use ALS, it's almost impossible to hear it.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

When it's windy it's hard to hear anything.I had a really windy rally in which I couldn't hear a Clio S1600 50 meters before

Liked 581 Times in 213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by urabus-denoS2000
    Oh come on,can you seriously say that Group N cars can't be heard?!?

In Slovenia I heard them coming 20 secs before it came,in a normal environment!
    A few years back I am ashamed to say that I did once find myself face down and spread out across the road, with the ground rumbling and I remember that I was wondering what the hell was happening before I looked up......

They are too quiet, it is definitely a safety issue. Especially with some diesel and lpg etc type cars which there have been a few competing in the UK over recent years - and they are a lot quieter still!

You can say what you like about people not meant to be on the stages when there is a stage running, but people will always wander about, there will be accidents, and more noise means greater safety. I've been saying this for years.
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Quote Originally Posted by J4MIE
    You can say what you like about people not meant to be on the stages when there is a stage running, but people will always wander about, there will be accidents, and more noise means greater safety. I've been saying this for years.
    That is a fact,the thing that upsets me the most is that people realize the danger only after it happens to someone else.

But I still think Group N is OK.It doesn't have a great sound,far from it,but it isn't that boring.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    J4mie's right. Remember Finland 2007 when Pino said there were no more cars coming?
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    If Group N is the answer to anything, that question should never have been asked. It holds no appeal to me whatsoever.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Prefer s2000 to the 1.6t. S2000 sound fantastic & if they are slower who cares you see the cars for longer.
    RIP Richard.