Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Kentucky Getting a Race

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?...v=ap&type=lgns
    SMI willing to move one of its races to Kentucky

By JENNA FRYER, AP Auto Racing Writer 2 hours, 22 minutes ago

CONCORD, N.C. (AP)—Speedway Motorsports Inc. officials said Monday they have asked NASCAR to add Kentucky to the 2010 Sprint Cup Series schedule.
    Any chance SMI has is contingent on the former owners of Kentucky Motor Speedway dropping an antitrust lawsuit against NASCAR and International Speedway Corp., its sister company.
    SMI chairman Bruton Smith, who traveled to the Kentucky Derby last weekend to make a case for dropping the suit, has so far been unsuccessful in his efforts.
    “We’re trying to persuade these people to try to drop that appeal, and then they are out of the way of NASCAR, and it would make it much simpler,” Smith said. “We haven’t been able to make that occur. There’s only two people holding it up.”

Smith is willing to give up a race date at one of his seven other facilities to get Kentucky on the schedule. He would not reveal which track he is considering, and SMI president Marcus Smith said no decision has been made on which track would lose a date if NASCAR adds Kentucky to its 36-race schedule.
    "If you can help others, and fail to do so, your time on earth has been wasted" - Roberto Clemente

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    as long as New Hampshire stays put with 2 dates, a different cookie cutter has to go for Kentucky to move in IMO
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by harvick#1
    as long as New Hampshire stays put with 2 dates, a different cookie cutter has to go for Kentucky to move in IMO
    It really looks like 2 tracks will have to give up a race. If Kentucky gets a race and it also looks like smith wants another race at Vegas then he will have to decide which of his tracks to take a race from.

NHIS will probably give up a race and, maybe, Atlanta.
    "If you can help others, and fail to do so, your time on earth has been wasted" - Roberto Clemente

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lightbulb

People may lament over losing a Cup race @ Loudon but look at the list ...
    SMI owns 7 raceracks with 12 Cup races :
    Atlanta - 2 races / great racing, won't likely lose a date

Bristol - 2 races / great racing, won't likely lose a date

Charlotte - 2 races / great racing, won't likely lose a date

Las Vegas - 1 race / big market, won't likely lose it's date
    (in fact Bruton would like a 2nd Cup date @ Vegas)

Sonoma - 1 race / it is a road course, won't likely lose a date

Texas - 2 races / fought hard for 2nd date, won't likely lose a date

That only leaves Loudon with 2 Cup races ...
    if Kentucky is added at the cost of SMI losing a date
    I expect it will be 1 of the Cup races @ Loudon that is cut.
    2008 ESPN Stockcar Challenge MSF Champion :D
    2007 Yahoo! Boogity Boogity Boogity Champion :D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It would be a shame for Loudon to lose a date. The fans in that area have really supported their races. Also, not a lot of other NASCAR races in the New England area; whereas there are a lot of races not all that far from Kentuky.

NASCAR should move the race at Indianapolis to Kentucky. They're never going to get the CUP cars to run right at Indy and pretty soon very few people will be going to the races there anyway.
    DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i would like to see a race at kentucky, it would be ashame for loudon to lose a race though
    2009 Truck Pick'em Champion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I believe the only way NHIS will keep its dates is because it sells out both races, Atlanta I'm sure will lose a date, and they were even talking about Charlotte losing one also.

or could atlanta's poor attendance cost them both races, but in the perfect world, Atlanta and California both should lose one race
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Kentucky will probably replace Atlanta for one race and if Vegas gets another date it will at the cost of NHIS, IMHO.

I agree with lee roy though, Iindy should be canned. I just hope they don't lose a road race.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by muggle not

I agree with lee roy though, Iindy should be canned. I just hope they don't lose a road race.

or, they make ORP into a 100,000 fan bull ring and have the Cup guys have another short track, and ORP is a great racetrack BTW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i would close loudon
    - bulldoze the track and build public assisted housing
    - move the dates to Kentucky and Vegas