Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tintop
    Don't be obtuse, it's a matter of the appropriateness of bringing up negatives in a memorial forum, not the veracity of the comments. Having been a competitor in races with fatalities and having been a spectator when others have died, perhaps I'm a bit more sentimental about these things, but there are plenty of forums to discuss the negative aspects of drivers, avoid ones marking the anniversaries of their deaths.
    In which some people would no doubt still consider it inappropriate to have such a discussion because of the view that one should not 'speak ill of the dead', a rule that is always applied selectively.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    In which some people would no doubt still consider it inappropriate to have such a discussion because of the view that one should not 'speak ill of the dead', a rule that is always applied selectively.
    So being selectively insensitive about the dead - as in your case, is appropriate because you think that "this sort of thing goes on". Keep digging, it's getting warmer down there.

What part of Memorial don't you understand?

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Don't be obtuse, it's a matter of the appropriateness of bringing up negatives in a memorial forum, not the veracity of the comments. Having been a competitor in races with fatalities and having been a spectator when others have died, perhaps I'm a bit more sentimental about these things, but there are plenty of forums to discuss the negative aspects of drivers, avoid ones marking the anniversaries of their deaths.
    It's all down to opinion, personally I don't think anyone has said anything that was entirely inappropriate. They merely highlighted a few of the defects in a man that seems to be widely regarded as someone who is perfect.

The first post in this thread set the tone for the thread and this is what it said

Share your thoughts about him. If your ever met him, feel free to tell us that how he was as a person. For the ones who never met him. Or other things what you want to say about him.
    Now that's what Tamburello has done and I think if you look at some of the things Senna was involved with in his life he could be quite an ugly person at times even if at other times he was an absolute genius behind the wheel. To gloss over the past is silly, it happens and you need to deal with it as honestly as possible.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tamburello
    Personally, I don't see how anyone could like a man who thinks its ok to punch another competitor for having the temerity to be faster....I certainly don't see why that should be celebrated.
    I didn't post the details of the Irvine-incident to celebrate it, for Christ's sake! I posted it 'cause that's one of things that immediately stick to mind when one thinks of Senna. You know, trying to paint a balanced picture..

Which is not what you have done in this thread.

Never mind, don't let me stop your spiteful hate-fest.

Quote Originally Posted by studiose
    I didn't post the details of the Irvine-incident to celebrate it, for Christ's sake! I posted it 'cause that's one of things that immediately stick to mind when one thinks of Senna. You know, trying to paint a balanced picture..

Which is not what you have done in this thread.
    And why should I?

You posted details of it, supposedly now to show 'balance', then cried out when I stated that the episode made him look like a xxxx....proving that you don't want any view other than yours...so your 'balance' argument is tosh.

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tamburello
    And why should I?

You posted details of it, supposedly now to show 'balance', then cried out when I stated that the episode made him look like a xxxx....proving that you don't want any view other than yours...so your 'balance' argument is tosh.
    I responded angrily to your comment because it was just mindless abuse! The purpose of which, always, is to provoke.

My "balance" argument is tosh, is it? Have you read my posts in this thread? Has it really been all full of praise for Senna and nothing else??

You really rub me the wrong way, you do. There are posters in this thread who clearly were not fans, but they keep their opinions respectful, and balanced from their view point.

You just bash.

What's the point?

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    So being selectively insensitive about the dead - as in your case, is appropriate because you think that "this sort of thing goes on". Keep digging, it's getting warmer down there.

What part of Memorial don't you understand?
    I am not being selectively insensitive about the dead — it's just that this thread has happened to come up. Were there to be a thread about Giuseppe Farina, I would make reference to the fact that although he was a great driver, he was also deemed to be exceptionally ruthless on track at a time when this wasn't the done thing. Anything wrong with that?

You really rub me the wrong way, you do.
    Then use the ignore function, since you evidently can't handle views different to yours.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

You just bash.

What's the point?
    Senseless provocation and insecurity regarding one's own hero, I suspect.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    I am not being selectively insensitive about the dead — it's just that this thread has happened to come up. Were there to be a thread about Giuseppe Farina, I would make reference to the fact that although he was a great driver, he was also deemed to be exceptionally ruthless on track at a time when this wasn't the done thing. Anything wrong with that?
    Memorial thread on the anniversary of a violent death that many of us witnessed, fans or not. Can't simplify it any more for you, sorry if it beyond your capacity.