Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Type
    Speaking as an ex-smoker, I agree with V12 - sponsorship didn't make me smoke or smoke more but it did affect my choice of brand. I definitely chose to smoke Gold Leaf for a while. Later when I switched to a lower tar cigarette I naturally gravitated towards Silk Cut.
    Silk Cut Jags: What amazing sounding cars. I snuck through the woods to see them tearing down the mulsanne straight at night, can still feel the vibrations.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Type
    Speaking as an ex-smoker, I agree with V12 - sponsorship didn't make me smoke or smoke more but it did affect my choice of brand. I definitely chose to smoke Gold Leaf for a while. Later when I switched to a lower tar cigarette I naturally gravitated towards Silk Cut.
    If I came across a pack, I'd buy a pack of Silk Cuts just to put in my Jaguar shrine.

I admit that I'll consider a company's products a little harder if they're a sponsor. I needed a TV set for the bedroom. So I looked really hard at LG. I've read good reviews on LG, and the fact that it's a sponsor was a plus. Samsung won out because of price and features though.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Statto
    As Tobacco/Cigarette Sponsorship is being/has been banned from motorsport

What are your views on this. Was it a good thing for the sport? and was it/is it necessary for the sport? Or are you/were you against the influx of companies looking to advertise in the sport.

Also not just Tobacco/Cigarette Sponsorship but are you swayed by other companies advertising in the sport? Would you go and buy a product because you saw the company name on the side of the car?

Interested to hear your views

Ben
    Ben, I hope that you aren't using this a part of a serious marketing survey. mokin:

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    I'd be less concerned about the effects sponsorship had on the public but more the effect of being assosciated with tobacco products would have on Formula 1 if they still carried them.

Remember it wasn't so long ago we were being told that there would be a wholesale move away from Europe to countries which allowed tobacco advertising, and remember how the cars always looked quite different in certain races because of local laws.

It's good that those times are behind us.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Remember it wasn't so long ago we were being told that there would be a wholesale move away from Europe
    To be fair, that's looking like being just an excuse, now it's "substandard circuits" or "lack of government funding", i.e. not enough £$£$£$£ to line Bernie's pocket.

But to be honest you're right on that one. I don't criticise F1 for getting rid of tobacco sponsorship - they had to, I'd rather criticise the corrupt and beaurocratic EU for treating us all like three year olds who can't think for themselves.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm an out of sight out of mind kind of person. So I'm for all this 'nanny state' stuff, where we have horrible pictures on packets, hiding the packets under the counter etc.

Unfortunately I smoke, but do think it is easier to not smoke with all of what happens in todays world, banning of smoking indoors, banning of advertising etc.

though I do think it is a hugely important part of F1, due to the symbolic cars during that era, which happened to be covered in tobacco advertising.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Statto
    As Tobacco/Cigarette Sponsorship is being/has been banned from motorsport

What are your views on this. Was it a good thing for the sport? and was it/is it necessary for the sport? Or are you/were you against the influx of companies looking to advertise in the sport.

Also not just Tobacco/Cigarette Sponsorship but are you swayed by other companies advertising in the sport? Would you go and buy a product because you saw the company name on the side of the car?

Interested to hear your views

Ben
    Do we get a fee for contributing to your coursework?
    Good friends we have, Oh, good friends we have lost along the way
    In this great future,
    You can\'t forget your past

Bob Marley

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    I admit that I'll consider a company's products a little harder if they're a sponsor.
    Must say, this has never even crossed my mind. When I used to smoke, it was generally Marlboro, but there was no motorsport-related reason for this.

As for bans, anything that stops even a few people smoking is fine by me. Yes, people can make up their own minds, but the specific effects of the act of smoking on those who do not partake themselves makes this a bit different to alcohol, for instance, in my view.

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    I smoke. I smoke Marlboro, tried other brands, prefered this one. Had nothing to do with motorsport.
    I was and a fan of Ferrari and Peugeot WRC). But I tell you surely I did not start smoking because them.

Sure maybe I'd be inclined to a buy a product from a sponsor of whatever team, but only if I was in the market for that product in the first place.

I like Red Bull

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    not sure what country's run what sort of anti smoking ads
    but would you like to see something like this on the cars
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’