Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcot
    I'm amazed at how many of you rank Button so highly. If he was still trundling around near the back in his Honda (as in the past two years) how many would rate him among the top? I think that it's the car and Ross Brawn that are making him look great!
    Doh! If it is the car making him so good, so it was the car making him so bad.

Sometimes I fail to see the logic of some of these posts......
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko

I see it just fine and I am blind in one eye and can not see out of the other

Indeed, it was the car and its setup as it fit his driving style, that was making him look so bad

This is also why comparing team mates is likely not to be a good measure unless one is hopelessly slow and crashing out all the time.

The same car might make one look good and the other bad, depending on their driving style, rather than their drving ability. Put them in a different team with a different set up, and the results may well reverse themselves.

When JV came back to F1, he complained as to the engine mapping, and when it was changed to produce a different power/torque curve, his times substantially improved, to the extent he went from being behind his team mate's times to being ahead on some tracks, but not others.....

Hence the nature of the beast....back in the days of Clark, Gurney, Moss, fangio, one could watch from a corner and see the speed difference between drivers, and since part of that speed was the driver's ability to truly set up the car (no datalinks or computers back then--just a handheld stop watch), the driver was essential.

Give a driver a great chassis and engine along with a great engineer who knows how to set up the car for that particular driver and as long as he is above average ability, he will beat the pants off of whoever you wish to name, if the second driver is driving an average car with an average set up....and after a while, everyone will be saying what happenned to FA, LH or whoever...they used to be so good, now look at them
    Only the dead know the end of war. Plato:beer:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko

Truly great drivers are able to get more out of a poor car(see MS 2005) An average driver can't. No problem with logic.
    "You can mop the blood up later." - R.A. Lafferty

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leopardsleeping
    Everybody is entitled to their own opinion
    True, and that includes me.
    "You can mop the blood up later." - R.A. Lafferty