Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    At the end of the day racing is dangerous. The drivers know that but seem quite happy to make stupid moves in the draft. I think its about time one of the older drivers got up in a drivers meeting and gave some of these guys a good verbal kickin' for the crap that goes on at restrictor plate races. And now i think about it, isnt it a little rich for Edwards to get on his high horse and say its all NASCAR's fault when last year he pulled one of the dumbest moves Ive ever seen at Dega wrecking his teamates and others. Its a little hypocritical to say its all NASCARs fault if your pulling crap like that.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
    At the end of the day racing is dangerous. The drivers know that but seem quite happy to make stupid moves in the draft. I think its about time one of the older drivers got up in a drivers meeting and gave some of these guys a good verbal kickin' for the crap that goes on at restrictor plate races. And now i think about it, isnt it a little rich for Edwards to get on his high horse and say its all NASCAR's fault when last year he pulled one of the dumbest moves Ive ever seen at Dega wrecking his teamates and others. Its a little hypocritical to say its all NASCARs fault if your pulling crap like that.
    Yes it is dangerous, apparently for people in the stands as well.

As for the older drivers, show me one who is up front and I will show you one who MIGHT be listened to, but to get up front, you often have to "block" by jumping in front of the freight train to get there.

As for Edwards, he is complaining about the restrictor plates putting everyone at the same speed. You can drive one of these cars flat out around Dega without ANY issue. It is only when they are in a giant pack playing with the wind that the dangers start. Guys are going to race. IT is simple as that. That said, this isn't racing like it is for the other 32 weeks of the year. This is playing with the wind, playing a game of chicken jumping in drafts, jumping in front of trains of cars, and hoping like hell someone doesn't zig when they zag.

It is entertaining if you live to watch a big wreck. That said, we evaded a major tragedy when the fence did its job for the most part. Who is to say that next time the car doesn't hit on a different angle and maybe slice into the stands?

The cars go this fast at other venues, but the nature of the wrecks there, and the effects of the throttle mean they are one or two car incidents often, and rarely are the cars even up in the air near the fence. AT Dega and Daytona it is different and it is obvious if you have seen video's of the wrecks at these two tracks. What was a great track design for the late 50's and 60's up into the 80's is NOW not working with the current NASCAR Cup cars. I don't see anyone tearing down the banking because the people who own those tracks also run the sport for the most part. That said, if these two venues were Bruton Smith's, do you want to speculate on how the conversations might go?
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Bruton would have to reconfigure the tracks (which he did at Texas 1998 after the fiasco in qualifying).

I wonder if Daytona and Talladega were cut to 12-14 and 14-16 degrees of banking would it affect the racing.
    In Christ,
    Bobby

Deuteronomy 31:6-8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC
    I wonder if Daytona and Talladega were cut to 12-14 and 14-16 degrees of banking would it affect the racing.
    Yes. It would make the racing much better. Of course, in my opinion. But then I remember how it was before the plates.
    DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hitting the fence with another 50mph may not be a very good idea.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nascar does need to get rid of the yellow line,either that or shorten the apron as to not allow for passing.Nascar and the track owners well not change the banking at all,that has been said repeatedly over the years,so get rid of the yellow or shorten the apron to the point were you cannot go down and pass,granted the drivers need some room to get out of the way,but a lot of space is not used.
    Hail to the Redskins Hail Victory
    Art Monk and Darrell Green 2008 Hall of Fame