Page 62 of 63 FirstFirst ... 125260616263 LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 game

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    Well done.

I got my only ever league win at Monaco. If you can get into a groove then just being consistent will give you a good chance. I was only the 3rd fastest when I won, but took advantage of errors.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown, Jon Brow
    Well done.

I got my only ever league win at Monaco. If you can get into a groove then just being consistent will give you a good chance. I was only the 3rd fastest when I won, but took advantage of errors.
    So quite the same path then. My best time in the race is also the third fastest. However I took it easy and didn't go for the fastest time, to not risk crashing the car.

I'm finding consistency only now. But as with any other game, it's clearer now that it's more about practice. I thought I was gonna be competitive straight away, but boy how wrong was I. Finished like 8th or 9th for Malaysia and China. I then started playing with different steering tweaks, advanced settings and FFB settings. Found something good, time trialed the hell out of Bahrain through the week and put my Sauber on pole on Sunday in a completely dry qualifying.

During the race, I made a mistake going into the pits and finished second to my teammate. Qualified 2nd on the grid at Spain again, but made multiple mistakes at that wretched penultimate combination of corners.

Valencia is a sucky track for me with third sector being the weakest. Even with rear brake bias I am constantly locking up before the last corner losing a big chunk of time. I'm guessing the brake bias has to be more towards the rear and F 47% - R 53% is not enough to cut it? Have you found a good setup for Valencia yet?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRaiden
    So quite the same path then. My best time in the race is also the third fastest. However I took it easy and didn't go for the fastest time, to not risk crashing the car.

I'm finding consistency only now. But as with any other game, it's clearer now that it's more about practice. I thought I was gonna be competitive straight away, but boy how wrong was I. Finished like 8th or 9th for Malaysia and China. I then started playing with different steering tweaks, advanced settings and FFB settings. Found something good, time trialed the hell out of Bahrain through the week and put my Sauber on pole on Sunday in a completely dry qualifying.

During the race, I made a mistake going into the pits and finished second to my teammate. Qualified 2nd on the grid at Spain again, but made multiple mistakes at that wretched penultimate combination of corners.

Valencia is a sucky track for me with third sector being the weakest. Even with rear brake bias I am constantly locking up before the last corner losing a big chunk of time. I'm guessing the brake bias has to be more towards the rear and F 47% - R 53% is not enough to cut it? Have you found a good setup for Valencia yet?
    I came second last season at Valencia so I rank it as one of my stronger tracks. I've done a lot of set-up work since last season so I'll probably find the set-up I used last season unusable now.

I'm currently practicing for the Malaysia round of our league. The fastest time on TT is a 1.32.7, and I'm stuck on a 1.33.2. :\ Fortunately I like the changeable conditions that often happen at Sepang.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I won my second race as well!! Two pole positions and two race wins from two races against tough competition. I'm over the moon!

Qualifying: I couldn't decide between two setups I had. For qualifying, I chose the faster setup over a single lap, but it was very hard on tires. A wrong decision in hindsight. I was blocked like crazy by one of the Force Indias on my first quali lap, but thankfully still went fastest. I was up by 1.3 seconds at the second split, and got the top spot by only 0.4 seconds. I guess he made a mistake in the third sector and was finishing his own quali lap, so couldn't slow down and let me pass. Then later as it got dry and everybody improved, I went out last on options with 2 minutes to go, and made it to pole by a whisker.

Race: Race start was a bit choppy. Didn't get off the line very well and got a mild tap from one of the Red Bulls. From there on, I started to put decent laps in and stretched the gap to the Red Bull behind me who was VERY fast and it was extremely hard to maintain the gap, as at times I lost a second over a lap without even making any big mistakes. Once my teammate in the second Sauber got past the Red Bull, he really turned it on and started closing the gap rapidly. I was trying my best to go as fast as possible, but he kept closing gradually. The gap was like a rubber band, reducing and stretching all the time. He stopped first and I came out right in front of him after my first stop. My inlap wasn't the best with running off track at one of the tight corners.

From that point on, the two Saubers had an epic battle for victory. I kept most of my KERS for the DRS zone so he never got close enough, and I stuck to the inside line at the second straight. After a couple of laps he lost control under braking trying to go inside and hit my car at the back on the second straight, which made me go off track and at that point I assumed also got him a penalty. He then gave the place back on the pit straight. A few laps later my teammate overtook me, and I was right behind him and he lost traction in the last combination of corners, I hit his car at the back and spun, and the 3rd placed Red Bull closed up right behind me, but was probably struggling with tyre wear, and so I could pull away without much problem. He also made a mistake in sector 2 I think? During the last couple of laps I did my best to not let the gap to my teammate stretch beyond 10 secs just in case he had a penalty, and lo and behold he did!

Thanks to his two penalties, I won and took a big chunk off the points lead of the championship leader in the standings.

Well done on the victory.

I entered season 4 of my Xbox F1 League at round 2 after missing the first round.

Qualifying went well. My first lap put me on provisional pole on 1 .35.8 but BelievedCoyote bettered my lap by less than 100th of a second. My second lap was better with a 1.35.5 but I went too slow in my in lap and didn't have time for my final run. On the very last lap of qualifying Tubbyphant0m set a corker of a lap and got pole by over half a second.

The race didn't go as well. I got a nudge at turn one and dropped down to 6th. For some reason I couldn't match the pace of the front runners on high fuel and got in a scrap for 4th place with Telfel and SuperTeemo. Clever use of my rich fuel allowed me to make up the places in the pit stops and then I managed to close the gap to 3rd but ran out of laps. 4th place was a bit of a disappointment considering I had the second quickest raw pace.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Actually not bad considering you're in a higher split. The best I did in dry qualifying practice was a high 1:36, so your times are pretty good. A lot of time was defending my lead in the second half of my race, but still I don't think I could have done a 1:37 on a clear track. But then again, since they're different versions of the game, they have different grip levels. I have read in places that the PS3 and Xbox360 versions generally have more grip than the PC version right since the F1 2010 days.

Well, next up is Silverstons, you lots' home GP. I haven't been good at this track in the previous games, but enjoy chucking the car in the high speed corners. Hopefully it goes well.

I had a horrible race last night in China. Qualifying started dry but it rained straight away so it was basically a one lap shoot-out. I got 3rd but Tubby Phant0m set his best time on option tyres so was over a second faster.

The race was horrible. I had a spin on lap one and dropped down to 7th. I slowly made up a few places but I just don't have any pace on high fuel. Towards the end of the race in clean air my pace was much better and my fastest lap was again the second fastest of anyone. I just need to work on my high fuel pace.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Was the race dry? And if so, did you start on options or prime?

In my experience with recent practice, it's better to start on primes as you are faster on them with heavy fuel loads. And even if you lose any time in the first part of the race, you can make all of that up on options and a lighter car in the latter part of the race.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRaiden
    Was the race dry? And if so, did you start on options or prime?

In my experience with recent practice, it's better to start on primes as you are faster on them with heavy fuel loads. And even if you lose any time in the first part of the race, you can make all of that up on options and a lighter car in the latter part of the race.
    I usually always start on primes, but the guy who won started on options. I am one of the better qualifiers so I can usually get on the front two rows using primes. Tempted to run an aggressive fuel strategy to make me lighter at the start.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown, Jon Brow
    Tempted to run an aggressive fuel strategy to make me lighter at the start.
    Yeah, but then you have to manage fuel like crazy. I'm gonna try it. Probably can go through the whole race on mix 2.

At this point I'm not sure what tyre to qualify on to be honest for the next league race. The last two races I have won by qualifying on options and getting pole, majorly because the faster prime runners behind were involved in first corner incidents. But in practice races prime runners have generally been faster. All about avoiding first lap carnage I guess.