Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 game

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    If it's anything like GRID, I will not be buying it. Those screenshots are definitely from a handheld or lower end console, as Codemasters has quite the good graphics engine for their racing games.

The only problem is, they are just racing games. There is a huge difference between a game and a sim, and if Codemasters doesn't turn this into a sim, it will end up being similar to the EA Sports NASCAR games, as far as realism goes.

That's not a good thing.

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by POS_Maggott
    If it's anything like GRID, I will not be buying it. Those screenshots are definitely from a handheld or lower end console, as Codemasters has quite the good graphics engine for their racing games.

The only problem is, they are just racing games. There is a huge difference between a game and a sim, and if Codemasters doesn't turn this into a sim, it will end up being similar to the EA Sports NASCAR games, as far as realism goes.

That's not a good thing.
    Could not agree more.

I've been following the codies F1 forum and there have been a number of posts and even a thread by the guys who are making the game.... the actual project lead.

In short the game will be a Sim but will also have 'quick race' and other elements for those who like arcade. Quick race and such are also fantastic for the Sim racer who has a few mates over on Friday night and one wants a run around Monaco.

Codies have said they are spending a lot of time on creating the full race weekend. This will include all prac and a qual sessions as well as realism with KERS and others systems.

I own both Dirt and Grid and to be frank with you.... they're preety bad. Colin McRae 05 was much better! It just had way better feel when you were driving it. Dirt doesn't handle at all well.

Graphics wise they are incredible but they don't handle. Dirt as a rally game is terrible so when I play it I just play Pikes Peak hillclimb in Monsters Suzuki.

All said and done I am confident though that Codies will get it right this time with F1. They have put craploads of effort into F1 as it's one of those games that can make or break them. They've admitted F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport and if they get it wrong it will work against them hugely. In addition they are well aware of what Sim players think of their arcade games like Grid..... great graphics, realism. All will be okay.
    Ayrton Senna, Legend. R.I.P.

\"If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver. Because we are competing. We are competing to win. And the main motivation to all of us is to compete for a victory. It is not to come third, fourth, fifth or sixth. I race to win\".

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    I think I'd rather play Destruction Derby 2, to be honest.
    [youtube]uNm9AQuscag&feature=related[/youtube]

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theugsquirrel
    I think I'd rather play Destruction Derby 2, to be honest.
    Now that takes me back, think we got it free with our first ever computer

I'm optimistic about this but to be honest, I'd prefer Grand Prix 5 - really can't fault that series as an F1 sim

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari
    Could not agree more.

I've been following the codies F1 forum and there have been a number of posts and even a thread by the guys who are making the game.... the actual project lead.

In short the game will be a Sim but will also have 'quick race' and other elements for those who like arcade. Quick race and such are also fantastic for the Sim racer who has a few mates over on Friday night and one wants a run around Monaco.

Codies have said they are spending a lot of time on creating the full race weekend. This will include all prac and a qual sessions as well as realism with KERS and others systems.

I own both Dirt and Grid and to be frank with you.... they're preety bad. Colin McRae 05 was much better! It just had way better feel when you were driving it. Dirt doesn't handle at all well.

Graphics wise they are incredible but they don't handle. Dirt as a rally game is terrible so when I play it I just play Pikes Peak hillclimb in Monsters Suzuki.

All said and done I am confident though that Codies will get it right this time with F1. They have put craploads of effort into F1 as it's one of those games that can make or break them. They've admitted F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport and if they get it wrong it will work against them hugely. In addition they are well aware of what Sim players think of their arcade games like Grid..... great graphics, realism. All will be okay.
    I'd say Codies have lost the plot recently - the first 4-5 CMcRae games were good - DIRT is just a travesty of a game, same with GRID, the old TOCA/RaceDriver games were good, GRID isn't.

I'm sure they 'll make sure it's good - it will need both Sim and Arcade.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by christophulus
    I'm optimistic about this but to be honest, I'd prefer Grand Prix 5 - really can't fault that series as an F1 sim
    Come to think of it, anyone know what Geoff Crammond is up to these days? I think we're in the majority when we say that each of his series of games was definitely the standard-setter for its time.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by V12
    Come to think of it, anyone know what Geoff Crammond is up to these days? I think we're in the majority when we say that each of his series of games was definitely the standard-setter for its time.
    The Grand Prix games WERE Formula One weren't they.

I mean they had so many little things in, even from the very first one, that most F1 games of the late 90s and early 2000s didn't have. Even the very first Grand Prix game had kerbs that were different depending on the corner and circuit, and Sony didn't fully include those until F1 06!

Also the graphics, as far as I know were very good for the time in GP1, and even back then you could easily tell which circuit you were on. That game is how i learned all the tracks 'back in the day'

It still shows with so many people opting for a modded GP4 over F1 CE.

Codies will make sure this caters for the hardcore fan I'm sure.

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by POS_Maggott

That's not a good thing.
    If you want an F1 sim that is up to date and will always be up to date then rFactor on the PC is the place to go. There are excellent F1 mods for it (and unlike a lot of games with mods this game is all about the mods and designed as such) as well as mods for just about any kind of car racing you can imagine.

To get you started you can download a demo version from http://www.rfactor.net/ of the game that can then be purchased for the nominal price of £24.99. The mods and everything else you will ever need can be downloaded for free from http://www.rfactorcentral.com/ . Only word of warning is that to enjoy the game fully you will need a reasonably decent PC with a good and solid graphics card (though nothing too hardcore) and I can't emphasise enough the need for a steering wheel, preferably force feedback and preferably a Logitech G25, which whilst expensive is truly worth every penny.

As for the Codies F1 game, i'll wait and see, one of my favourite F1 games ever was made by Codemasters, but that was from a long time ago, it was called Slicks and was made for the Commodore 64, it featured 6 tracks, 6 different teams and worked on a top down view and it also used the points system for multiplayer, both of these elements were carried forward for the fantastic Micro Machines games on consoles.

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    I cant believe people are saying GRID is a bad game. ridiculous.

GRID doesnt aim to be a sim, nor does DIRT, They are both semi sim/arcade racers. and for that, They are both brilliant games. especially GRID, as semi sim/arcade racers go, its the greatest game on the planet ever in the history of everything in the world.

But I can understand why people dont like the games. Colin Mcrae o5 and Toca 3 were both semi sim games, and these newer games have gone down a different route to produce something more exciting and more for everybody.

also, races in GRID are epic, whereas Toca they're a bit dull as AI dont do much apart from drive.

I think the reason why dirt is so hated is because everybody loved the sim rallying, but now its more arcady hardcore fans have been put off. but its still a great game.

Now, if you want a sim racer, then wait till Need For Speed Shift. (yes I did just say need for speed and simulation in the same sentence, finally its going down the right route) or buy Ferrari challenge or supercar challenge.

if you want an epic racer, get GRID. if you want to race the streets, Burnout Paradise is legendary.

Grid is awesome. leave it alone. just because its different to TOCA doesnt mean its a bad game.
    Congratulations Sebastian Vettel. Champion of the season of seasons.

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UltimateDanGTR
    I cant believe people are saying GRID is a bad game. ridiculous.

GRID doesnt aim to be a sim, nor does DIRT, They are both semi sim/arcade racers. and for that, They are both brilliant games. especially GRID, as semi sim/arcade racers go, its the greatest game on the planet ever in the history of everything in the world.
    I don't know whether I speak for many people here but, in my case, this sim/arcade mix doesn't work for me. I don't like arcade racing. And there are other people out there who just like authentic racing, nothing arcade or cheesy. When you consider the original TOCA games, and how they did a great job of modelling the 1997 and 1998 BTCC series, its hard to live with what Codies produce today. Sure, GRID has its audiences. But what gets up my wick is that Codies now get the licence for an F1 game, just going by their reputation. Their reputation has changed. They used to make fantastic race/rally games but have gradually been taken in to the hype of arcade racing, at the expense of the hardcore fan. For me GRID and DIRT was the last straw and now I'm just not happy to trust them to make a hardcore F1 racing sim. I just can't see them doing it.

But I can understand why people dont like the games. Colin Mcrae o5 and Toca 3 were both semi sim games, and these newer games have gone down a different route to produce something more exciting and more for everybody.
    Grid is awesome. leave it alone. just because its different to TOCA doesnt mean its a bad game.
    Everybody? Not entirely convinced. These later contraptions to come from Codies don't appeal to me in the slightest. The lifespan is just awful. I'd rather just do a full championship again in Toca 1 or 2, or just go back and play the first F1 licensed game on PS1. At this stage, so much can be put into games, that I would much rather a less is more approach. Realism should be the main thing on sim racing producers mind, in my opinion. Even in front of graphics and features. Then features like rules/regs, safety cars etc should be included. While a graphically great game looks fantastic, its not going to compensate for bad playability or lifespan.

also, races in GRID are epic, whereas Toca they're a bit dull as AI dont do much apart from drive.
    In Toca 2 the AI would take swipes at you every now and then. And the AI even used to get dangerous driving warnings on occasions! You would also notice some drivers spinning off on their own accord. I loved the subtly of those games. Just those little things that happen out of the blue. Sure, the AI could be beaten easily by an adequate player of the game, but it didn't detract from the many years of fun I had (and still do have when I dig up the game again.)

I respect that you may like these later games Dan, but there are people out there who just want to race as authentically as possible. I'm sure Codies have the know-how to produce a really good F1 game, but I don't think they will.
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam