Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DexDexter
    Yep everything was better before 94, those Osellas and other backmarkers used to be at least 5 seconds a lap slower than the quick guys, plus we had a great point system were you only counted 11 out of 16 races, some teams had 100 horsepower more than others, the races were boring with not a lot of lead changes... in one year one car had semi-automatic gearbox active suspension, ABS, traction control etc, while others still had a stick shift etc.... I don't know maybe we've been watching a different series. I started watching in 82.

1973 for me. The racing was far more interesting, but then the media coverage was far more sparse, so the intrigue was far more alluring back then as well. The lap differentials from front to back of hte grid was larger, and there was much different action on track. the cars were obviously far slower, but far more exciting to watch IMHO.
    It wasn't any less political, but it seemed the politics were different, and the drivers seemed to have far more personality as well. It was simply a different sport back then.
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72
    but RBR would not have made am mockery of the entire field as Brawn GP is doing. The only reason they haven't finished 1-2 in every race is because of the Rubens erratic driving ( at times) and one outstanding performance by Vettel on the wets.
    Not forgetting Mark Webber's presumably only slightly less outstanding performance in China.

I didn't see Brawn making a mockery of the field in Bahrain either. If Button hadn't passed Vettel off the start we would have seen a quite different result I think. Button pulled out something like 20 seconds over Vettel during the periods when he was in clear air while Vettel was tucked up behind either Hamilton or Trulli; and ended up winning the race by less than 10 seconds. So it could have been very different on another roll of the dice.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

so no refueling and NO tyre warmers come 2010...!

Im like, ummm wow, this is cool.

While I really like the idea of no refueling, (everyone gets a full load of fuel and more emphasis's is put on the track and not pitlane), I really really like no more tyre warmers.

Its one of those silly things Ive never really understood. These guys are supposed to be the best of the best but they need their tyres warmed first? Give me a break, that first lap out of the pits is going to separate the hot shoes from the cold boots.
    I'm old enough that I don't have to put up with your crap anymore.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Good

I just hope they scrap the mandatory option tyre (oxymoron if ever their was one), oh and DON'T reduce the race distance - they could do 300kms on one tank before 1994, so they can do it again.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    In keeping with Mad Max's ideas to keep the costs down we now introduce a new rule that will again force a complete redesign of all the cars to accomodate the increased fuel.
    Brilliant.
    Or do we reduce the race length to a 100 miles.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Bye bye pittin and fueling strategies

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Let me get this straight... cars will need to overtake each other??

Brilliant . No more waiting for the pitstops to pass someone. Lots more risky overtaking attempts will be most welcome!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lalo
    Bye bye pittin and fueling strategies
    Strategy will still play a part, but it will be all about the tyres now. This puts it more in the hands of the driver, because fuel burns at a pretty much constant rate. OK the driver technique can help save a *bit* of fuel, but I imagine the variation between drivers would be pretty low as a percentage. However a good driver can manage his tyres and make them wear at a much lesser rate than others.

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Only the dead know the end of war. Plato:beer:

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Some are having rose-tinted spectacles about the past, I suspect. I would agree that racing somewhere up-and-including 1987 was great - best era in F1. But I have seen nothing especially exciting or extraordinary about racing around 1991-1993. Actually racing then was worse than what we have seen recently. Largely because the gaps between teams were way bigger.

I think we can't draw a straight parallel between pre-94 and now, so it remains to be seen, how well does the ban of refueling work out. One factor, as mentioned, is that nowadays the competition is a lot tigther. Secondly the tyres, compounds and rules about them are different now. But, sorry, I'm not really hopeful of seeing more passes, like some foresee. If Vettel was stuck behind Trulli for half a race, then I don't see why he shouldn't have been stuck for the whole race. Strategy will still be important with the difference that it's needed to make a right call, when to pit for tyres and how well to manage them during stints (depending also on how durable the '10 slicks will be, which we don't know yet).