Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts

No pitting for fuel next year? bye, bye most excitement

So I read that the cars will not be allowed refuelling pit stops as one of the new rule changes?
    True?
    If so, a quick stop for tires (4 seconds or so) means even less passing opportunity and more boring races....

and with the new standard tire rules, why not just require no tire changes either?

It would seem with only one manufacturer making all tires, they should/can make the tires hard enough to last long enough without worrying about the competition building something stickier, soooooo??

that away, I can watch the start to see who gets a substantial lead in the first few laps and not even need to watch again until the end of the race to see who broke down and lost out....sad ain't it
    Only the dead know the end of war. Plato:beer:

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    I disagree completely.

Refuelling was a totally pointless addition to the game when it was introduced (1994, was it?) and it adds nothing to the spectacle, I think.

Getting rid of it, on the other hand, adds a lot (of what we used to have in the good old days). Drivers actually having to manage tyres, not going flat out all the time with no penance. Cars behaving totally differently at the end of the race, as compared to the beginning. Completely different strategies among teams, depending on how their cars use their tyres.

That's the stuff!

An old example, this, but remember when the uncompetitive Leyton House cars of Ivan Capelli and Mauricio Gugelmin ended up leading 1-2 at the French GP of 1990? A dry race. Just because they didn't pit for tyres at all, while others did.

Bring back the good times!

In fact, I'd cancel all the changes made to sporting regulations since 1994. It was just so much better then! Including qualifying.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Refueling pitstop is not only to add fuel into the tank whenever it is used up, but it is comprehensive strategy implemented for respective race the whole weekend starting from qualifying session as it might contribute to determine starting grid, how many laps drivers can use the fuel before entering pitstop, how many pitstops either it is conventional or extreme which is less or more than normal pitstops.

Refueling is another loophole for teams whose the closest approach of their accuracy will take more advantage especially for teams whose engine power is not superbly superior.
    I think refueling is something to tell us cleverness of teams and drivers reading different situation will need different strategy.

Without mandatory pitstop to change the tyres which means will use super hard compound usable for the whole race have a risk with it that they will not give enough grip considered safe. It doesn't seem to be applicable, if it has to be in effect compulsively, I think the current system is a game involving higher intelligence quotient. imo.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by studiose
    In fact, I'd cancel all the changes made to sporting regulations since 1994. It was just so much better then! Including qualifying.
    I completely agree!

No refuelling, multiple tyre compounds, no mandatory option tyre rubbish, no race fuel qualifying, just keep it simple!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Disagree with you markability - f1 was a way better without tanking up. I think it was Estoril '93 when shumi stayed out on worn tyres to win - beating way faster cars in the process.

Also with the huge fuel tanks these cars will need the weight distribution will be all messed up and we'll see way more oversteering moments than even this year.
    All other opinions are wrong....

you guys miss my point---in the good old days, there was actually passes on the track, not passes while one car pitted and so forth.

Now there is still very little passing and when it happens and there is a bump, potential penalty time.......might as well ban on track passes as well as pit stops

I do miss the good old days that "pitted" driver against driver rather than engineers against engineers and who "pitted" best.

That was real racing, but until wings are banned or very severely limited, carbon brakes are dumped.....well

Hence the perceived(by rulemakers) need for making a car run on both hards and soft compounds in the same race, so as to mess with handling and thereby create artificial excitment and competition--maybe they should keep pit stops but vary the amount of fuel that can be put in the car....one stop 8 secs, and two stops for four seconds.....and the team has to do the three stops

oh and then add the dp reality show, and I think they have the making of a big hit in the tv ratings when they broadcast all races on TV, all of which from third world countries http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74731

as soon there will be only monaco in europe

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    You're living in a timewarp.

F1 is far more intricate these days.

Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    You're living in a timewarp.

F1 is far more intricate these days.
    true but "intricate" is another way of saying highly technical, hence boring with appeal only to fellow techies and no one else....
    and if so intricate, why the need to have all these "artifiical enhancers" of weird qualifying, soft/hard tires and etc etc...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I just think there needs to be less artificial complications and gimmicks all round, just let the racing flow. It worked for over a century so I honestly don't see why it needed changing. Sadly F1 is all about the "show" and less about the "sport" these days

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If you get rid of re-fueling there will be even less passing on track. Why was Alonso 2nd in qual last week? Because he didn't have any fuel onboard. That means he would of had to stop very early on and get a good lead at the start. It would have been exciting to watch, if it hadn't rained.

Now you take away fueling and all the cars will have pretty much the same amount of fuel on board. That means Alonso would have started mid pack at best. Now you say that he will manage his tires better and be there at the end? RUBBISH! The Brawns are fast BECAUSE they take care of their tires. Same with the other "good" teams.

Bottom line is, if you take away re-fueling it will be a Brawn 1-2 in qual (with the odd Red Bull squeeking in) and no one will pass anyone the entire race.

I agree though that getting rid of some of the "gimmicks" would be nice. And a good place to start would be KERS and the "option" tire. KERS seems to be going away by the teams own decisions (although I haven't heard what they are doing this weekend). And I would keep the "option" tire, but make it actually optional, ie you don't have to use it unless you want to.

Now I've drug this way off topic, sorry.
    The overall technical objective in racing is the achievement of a vehicle configuration, acceptable within the practical interpretation of the rules, which can traverse a given course in a minimum time. -Milliken