Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,256 Times in 682 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally_Rocks
    Given the choice, and looking at best return on tax payers investment, where would you recommend the Welsh Assembley Government spend their multi million pound sponsorship war chest? Wales Rally GB or the Ryder Cup? A service park stuck between a scrap heap and a building site on a wet and muddy excuse for a waterfront in Swansea, or a slick, well presented, well attended tented village for the golf? And maybe the clincher, 45 minutes on Dave with some has been comic, or wall to wall coverage on Sky? No brainer I believe.
    It shouldn't take even a nanosecond to work out, should it? One is a world wide event watched by millions, which has all kinds of excitement in the run up to it, and who will get into each team, etc, the other thinks that it is. I honestly don't think everyone connected with it realises just how far the event and sport has fallen of the radar - and that is one of it's biggest problems. I know it's often said, and we know the reasons why, but it really needs to be a National event - not a Welsh one.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 581 Times in 213 Posts
    <Nelson from the Simpsons>
    Ha ha.
    </Nelson from the Simpsons>

Depends how quickly they can sue them I guess, looks like they had a contract in place but as they are saying, surely the breach of contract is that Rally GB will not be in the WRC next year and that is why they don't want to continue.

I have next to no interest in the event anyway and would much rather fork out hundreds of pounds to go to a foreign event. But I am sure the £2m is more than given back by the event taking place. But of course it's a headline grabbing figure and most people will not look past that.

Please do not let this affect the RAC or Rally Scotland, they don't deserve to be dragged down to the WRC's level!!
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J4MIE
    But I am sure the £2m is more than given back by the event taking place.
    I always have the feeling that the figures stating the economic benefits of hosting major events are, shall we say, somewhat exaggerated and that it would be rather difficult to break it down into specifics.

Liked 178 Times in 78 Posts
    Sorry but I can't understand where this £2m investment goes? As far as I understand it's the initial investment every year, but if the figures are true and are make that money back 3 fold in the local economy, why stop?

...And what do they spend this investment on?.....please don't say advetising, apart for a random page in MN and a 20sec add on Dave in WRC programme breaks, apart from that i've seen bugger all in the last 5 years in terms advertising.

Do competitors entry fees not cover a decent proportion of the event running costs?.....and where does our ticket money go, cos i'm pretty sure it doesn't all go to charity (i've never seen any info on where our hard earned £20 per stage is spent!)

In my opinion, its harsh of the backers but I don't understand their logic if it creates jobs and cash for local economy. At the same time the organisers have shot themselves in the foot, cr*p service area and location, rip off stage entry prices and using same dull format and stages for years......

......this is just another nail in the WRC coffin, can be many more before the casket is closed completely, can it?

Quote Originally Posted by Doon
    Sorry but I can't understand where this £2m investment goes? As far as I understand it's the initial investment every year, but if the figures are true and are make that money back 3 fold in the local economy, why stop?
    I would suspect it's because the money isn't made back three-fold in the local economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Doon
    ......this is just another nail in the WRC coffin, can be many more before the casket is closed completely, can it?
    I'm sure there will still be a World Rally Championship, but which format it will take, who can say? My worry for the sport at present is that the profile of the IRC, after a great start in Monte Carlo, seems to have fizzled out a bit. Maybe that's just me.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Get this event pulled out of Wales ASAP it should never have been stuck in the for so many years anyway disgraceful!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm a daddy now!!! 2 goorgeous little girls Megan Jessica born 24th August 2009....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My worry for the sport at present is that the profile of the IRC, after a great start in Monte Carlo, seems to have fizzled out a bit. Maybe that's just me
    definately, the safari rally was a complete none event for me. the only thing that made brazil was meeke winning. lets hope the european events have more entries, with proton and VW confirming programmes and skoda continuing its looking good at the moment.

Liked 1,256 Times in 682 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    I would suspect it's because the money isn't made back three-fold in the local economy.

I'm sure there will still be a World Rally Championship, but which format it will take, who can say? My worry for the sport at present is that the profile of the IRC, after a great start in Monte Carlo, seems to have fizzled out a bit. Maybe that's just me.
    Funnily enough, I was thinking that today - we've had Monte, Curitiba and the Safari, in which no-one entered.
    Anyway, rose-tinted glasses time - I was watching 1989 RAC Rally on You-Tube - and I'm convinced the sport needs to go back to that type of event, particularly in GB -just look at the crowds in the Sunday 'MickeyMouse' stages - imagine they've paid £15 per car and there are 5,6,7 of these stages. Those stages are for the casual 'once-a-year fan', the forests should be for the commited fan. We all know why the changes were made, but somebody needs to accept that the modern type events haven't worked, certainly not here in UK. FiA/ISC have to allow a greater freedom for routes, it's a no-brainer, and possibly the days of the week in which the events take place.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 178 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell

Originally Posted by Welsh Assembly Goverment
    The Wales Rally GB has gone from strength to strength in terms of organisation and is acknowledged as one of the best rounds of the Rally Championship and is estimated to be worth up to £40m to the Welsh economy.

The economic impact study revealed that the 2004 Rally generated £7m in additional Welsh output from short term expenditure alone.

Between 2000 and 2005 the rally is estimated to have contributed at least £28-£30m to regional output through event receipts and spending alone.

Every pound of public sector support generates an additional £2 to the Welsh economy, providing a return of 200%, while the branding and marketing opportunities gives Wales

....dont know how true it is though?lol

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    Anyway, rose-tinted glasses time - I was watching 1989 RAC Rally on You-Tube - and I'm convinced the sport needs to go back to that type of event, particularly in GB -just look at the crowds in the Sunday 'MickeyMouse' stages - imagine they've paid £15 per car and there are 5,6,7 of these stages. Those stages are for the casual 'once-a-year fan', the forests should be for the commited fan. We all know why the changes were made, but somebody needs to accept that the modern type events haven't worked, certainly not here in UK. FiA/ISC have to allow a greater freedom for routes, it's a no-brainer, and possibly the days of the week in which the events take place.
    I agree. The way the WRC has gone has done nothing but take the sport away from the public while not making them want to watch it on TV. And it's not through rose-tinted glasses that the likes of you and I view the years gone by — it was just better, and the public went to those stages in their thousands, even when there wasn't really a British driver able to win.