Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 178 Times in 78 Posts

Wales Rally GB Under Threat....

oh dear

I hope a solution can be found.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8000216.stm

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    To be honest, I think that the Welsh Assembly is quite right. With the WRC and the economy in their current states, should what is a government in all but name be using taxpayers' money to sponsor such an event?

Liked 304 Times in 214 Posts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    My understanding is that there is very little chance of Wales Rally GB now happening this year. The Welsh Assembley Government were paying a fortune for sponsorship rights and even with 6 months still to go, it us highly unlikely that a stand in sponsor can be found.

This has to leave a very big question mark over the future of Rally GB. What will be very interesting is ISC's response. I can't see it going down well with them if the event doesn't happen.

Maybe ISC should be looking at possible alternatives for the last event of the year. My suggestion would be Rally Japan, although the teams won't like an extra long haul event. What about Corsica though? It would be an early end to the season, but logistically very straight forward. Oh, and the French team would love it!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    To be honest, I think that the Welsh Assembly is quite right. With the WRC and the economy in their current states, should what is a government in all but name be using taxpayers' money to sponsor such an event?
    As shown below (although based on a 2006 report), the money invested into the event by WAG reaps financial benefits for local organisations and people.

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Assembly Goverment
    The Wales Rally GB has gone from strength to strength in terms of organisation and is acknowledged as one of the best rounds of the Rally Championship and is estimated to be worth up to £40m to the Welsh economy.

The economic impact study revealed that the 2004 Rally generated £7m in additional Welsh output from short term expenditure alone.

Between 2000 and 2005 the rally is estimated to have contributed at least £28-£30m to regional output through event receipts and spending alone.

Every pound of public sector support generates an additional £2 to the Welsh economy, providing a return of 200%, while the branding and marketing opportunities gives Wales an international platform through media exposure which is valued at £2m pa.
    Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally_Rocks
    Maybe ISC should be looking at possible alternatives for the last event of the year. My suggestion would be Rally Japan, although the teams won't like an extra long haul event. What about Corsica though? It would be an early end to the season, but logistically very straight forward. Oh, and the French team would love it!!!
    No Corsica!!!! Turkey,NZ,a gravel Swedish rally are better alternatives!!

Liked 67 Times in 31 Posts
    They will cut 2 miliions to the 2009 event of for the 2010 event?
    Three gears are enough!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Given the choice, and looking at best return on tax payers investment, where would you recommend the Welsh Assembley Government spend their multi million pound sponsorship war chest? Wales Rally GB or the Ryder Cup? A service park stuck between a scrap heap and a building site on a wet and muddy excuse for a waterfront in Swansea, or a slick, well presented, well attended tented village for the golf? And maybe the clincher, 45 minutes on Dave with some has been comic, or wall to wall coverage on Sky? No brainer I believe.

9. Likes: AndyRAC (26th October 2020)
    Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Given the choice, and looking at best return on tax payers investment, where would you recommend the Welsh Assembley Government spend their multi million pound sponsorship war chest? Wales Rally GB or the Ryder Cup? A service park stuck between a scrap heap and a building site on a wet and muddy excuse for a waterfront in Swansea, or a slick, well presented, well attended tented village for the golf? And maybe the clincher, 45 minutes on Dave with some has been comic, or wall to wall coverage on Sky? No brainer I believe.
    Couldn't agree more.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    This has to leave a very big question mark over the future of Rally GB. What will be very interesting is ISC's response. I can't see it going down well with them if the event doesn't happen.

Another option is the possible amalgamation of Wales Rally GB with the new IRC's Rally of Scotland. Obviously slightly different rules for the 2 championships but with a dual permit possibly the IRC contenders could run the stages in advance of the WRC entry.
    Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak...