Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Corny
    Personally I think Suzuki just needs to put a talent on the bike..

Since Schwantz they have never had a pure racing talent on board. So what will they do this winter, taking Simoncelli or Bautista? No way, they'll already be too late for that, 'cause Honda or Yamaha will contract them

They had Spies, but let him go as fast as they had him. I just don't think that Vermeulen and Capirossi (well, Capi not anymore) are able to fight with riders like Pedrosa, Rossi and Stoner on the same equipment
    I partly agree with this post. I don't think Vermeulen or Capirossi are MotoGP title winners but I don't think the bike is either. Suzuki are also hamstrung in that they can't sign any of Simoncelli, Bautista or Spies next year due to only having a factory team. But even that won't really help them as I don't think any of those blokes are as good as Stoner, Rossi, Lorenzo Pedrosa or Dovizioso or even any better than Chris or Loris. Perhaps going for Dani or Melandri (unless Kawasaki re-enter their factory effort and keep Marco) at years end is their best option alongside Vermeulen.
    Get off my lawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I do think Simoncelli is as good as Pedrosa and Lorenzo (not so sure about Stoner and Rossi though), he has quit a disadvantage on his weight with the 250 bike and still wins. When he steps on a GP bike that disadvantage will be a lot less
    RIP Marco Simoncelli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Richardson
    Come off it Corny, you were 4 years old when Schwantz had his last really good season in 1993 on 500cc two-strokes. Injuries eventually resulted in KS retiring in 1995 aged 31 years. He had his ups and downs just as many other riders of similar talent have had over the years.

Bit unfair to suggest that the current lack of performance of the 2009 Suzies so early at this stage of their development is the responsibility of the riders.
    You should see the video material we have at home, since begin 90's Yes, I know he had his up and downs, and I know he was not collecting as much points as Rainey due to his mistakes

You are right, it is a bit early to say they're not competitive. Capirossi had a worn front tyre already after 4 laps, I've just red in our MotoGP magazine. But I just think they would do better with young top riders from 250, than with picking Capirossi for example
    RIP Marco Simoncelli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I reckon it's the Suzuki. Capirossi was only a few years back one of the few riders who was a genuine threat against Rossi and quite capable of beating him in a head to head battle, and Vermeulen's recent form has seen him often turning the same laptimes as Stoner and Rossi right to the end of the race, albeit down in 6th+ position.

However, Suzuki seems closer this year and perhaps we could see a better result as the season progresses. Qualifying on race rubber will be to Vermuelen's advantage, especially when they get to tracks where the softer compound is the race tyre of choice, and don't forget that only a couple of years ago Hopkins finished the season 4th overall. So there is definitely potential to be unlocked.

In 2009 if Vermeulen can turn in better qualifying performances - and perhaps be a little more aggressive in the opening laps - he will most certainly be fighting for podiums instead of single digit points.
    Phantom... Bike Who Parks

"It's a tour, not a race... but don't get in my way while I'm touring!"