Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by V12
    Tom Pryce (1974-77) is certainly the most well known, to be honest I can't think of any others off the top of my head that have come since him, although I may be wrong.
    Nobody since.

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by V12
    I agree about nationality being a big thing and so it should be. While there's no place for outright nasty Xenophobia, and no place IMO for A1GP-style teams based solely around a nationality, getting behind a driver (or in some cases, team) from your own country is a perfectly natural thing to do. Back in the days of Hill vs Schumacher there was very much a sense of England vs Germany at times, and while sometimes it overstepped the mark (i seem to remember one time a Schumacher supporter's tour bus apparently got vandalised with swastikas at Silverstone), usually it was a bit light hearted, 1966 and all that

Tom Pryce (1974-77) is certainly the most well known, to be honest I can't think of any others off the top of my head that have come since him, although I may be wrong.
    erm, I know I shouldnt laugh, but........

and Tom Pryce being the last welsh F1 driver, blimey, its been the scots english and irish since. and before.
    Congratulations Sebastian Vettel. Champion of the season of seasons.

Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    I don't really think nationality is important in f1.

If the drivers were to take part for their individual country of the UK then would the British grand prix become the English grand prix?
    Time is the enemy.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    And we'd host the Scot GP at Knockhill!!!!
    All other opinions are wrong....

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Tom Pryce was the last Welsh F1 ddriver. He was also a great rally driver in his time, driving the Checkard flag Lancia Stratos many times in Britain.
    Probley the most unlucky f1 driver to be killed in a crash, wrong place wrong time.

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    England needs a female F1 pilot named Boudica
    May the forza be with you

Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    I think the FIA would rule it out anyway, as it only recognises Britain as a whole; remember the political hoo, and indeed hah, over the "Turkish Cypriot" politician at the Turkish GP a couple of years back? Not quite the same thing admittedly, but the FIA does like to play things by the book as regards nationalities.

Except when you get curios such as Austrian GP2 driver Andreas Zuber being credited as being from the UAE because that's where his license is from, of course...
    https://wordpress.com/stats/insights/stugrovesf1.wordpress.com

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    I think why not?!
    Do you remember Eddie Irvine? He was the last and the best Northern Irish driver in the Formula One. He became second in 1999 and had the chance to win the world title. And I think it makes more proud if Eddie Irvine had won the title for Northern Ireland instead for UK. Don't get me wrong! Northern Ireland is a little country who had got probably a world champion.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    A drivers nationality in F1 comes from the association that issued the superlicense and there is only one UK sporting association recognized by the FIA, there is no English, Welsh,... sporting association.

Also a driver can get a superlicense either from the country of citizenship or from the country of residence. For example Doornbos raced as a Monegasque in 2005
    I got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    While we're on the subject of...vague nationalities, does anyone know what the deal with Bertrand Gachot (1989-95) was? Usually he appeared as a Belgian, sometimes as a Frenchman, and sometimes he raced with the European flag on his car!