Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts

Re: Alberto Ascari's Record Of 9 Wins In A Row

It will become irrelevant when Vettel wins the opener next year and has sole possession of the undisputed record.

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

There was a certain inevitability involved once Vettel won pole yesterday. Even with a couple of hick ups, he was still able to crank up the advantage over Weber.
    Most, but not all commentators mention Ascari specifically when stating the 60 year old streak that was equaled; I am satisfied when they do. Were he to win next time, that would go beyond Ascari's feat given that a completely new formula will be in play.

I wonder if gifting Weber was ever even considered, or were they focusing on the record book? Other situations Mansaell and I think Senna backed off for teammates when nothing left was at stake. I never really expected it today; maybe Vettel cares more about records then he lets on.
    Anyway congratulations Seb on a most unlikely achievement.

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts

It will be interesting to see what happens. Sometimes a change of Formula leads to a change of the pecking order, sometimes temporary.

1966 - Brabham-Repco took over from Lotus-Climax. But Lotus came back with the Lotus 49-Ford
    1961 - Ferrari took over from Cooper-Climax. Cooper never really came back
    1954 - Maserati and Mercedes eclipsed the hitherto unbeatable Ferrari
    1934 - Mercedes and Auto Union completely dominated Alfa Romeo and Bugatti. Bugatti never came back.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Yes I am thinking of 1966 when I say a completely different team could be favoured in Australia. Possibly some have written off 2013 to prepare the next era's cars.
    By the domination of RBR it certainly looks that way.

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by D28
    There was a certain inevitability involved once Vettel won pole yesterday. Even with a couple of hick ups, he was still able to crank up the advantage over Weber.
    Most, but not all commentators mention Ascari specifically when stating the 60 year old streak that was equaled; I am satisfied when they do. Were he to win next time, that would go beyond Ascari's feat given that a completely new formula will be in play.

I wonder if gifting Weber was ever even considered, or were they focusing on the record book? Other situations Mansaell and I think Senna backed off for teammates when nothing left was at stake. I never really expected it today; maybe Vettel cares more about records then he lets on.
    Anyway congratulations Seb on a most unlikely achievement.
    Seb's achievement was indeed phenomenal. Considering how competitive F1 is now, it is amazing. But also the freeze on engine development etc helped with car reliability to help him achieve 9 in a row IMO. I really am shocked that he took these last 9 races, it was great to watch him dominate the field, including his teammate in the same car.

Records are there to be broken, I'm sure we will see Seb break most of The Shoes records shortly. First will be the pole positions, then who knows, most wins, most WDC? Time will tell I guess
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

So not unsurprisingly Vettel's streak ends at 9, and Mark Hughes of MotorSport was one commentator who noted that he and Ascari share the consecutive win record. I am satisfied with this result, both drivers deserve full marks for the achievement. The odds on Vettel winning again with a completely new formula were just insurmountable.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    I had forgotten all about that.

That is some record for Seb and as you say it was always unlikely he would win his 10th given the huge changes.

Its nice to have a piece of F1 history that is shared between the very earliest days of F1 and the very most recent.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

"Its nice to have a piece of F1 history that is shared between the very earliest days of F1 and the very most recent."

Very well put, I agree totally with this assessment. I notice that the record site I consult now lists Ascari's steak of 7, still second with Schumacher, with an note explaining the Indy issue. That I also agree with.