Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts

Re: Alberto Ascari's Record Of 9 Wins In A Row

I've just realised that having been born in 1918, Ascari missed many of what might have been his best racing years due to World War 2.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by D-Type
    I've just realised that having been born in 1918, Ascari missed many of what might have been his best racing years due to World War 2.

accurate and fine remark .

It cld apply to another italian in cyclism : Gino Bartali wld certainly have enlarged his collection of trophies, had WW2 not happened. Thus,deprieving him to be regarded as an all time great, he certainly deserves to be.

( for info :no, I am not Italian )

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by D28
    I agree completely. I see there is a biography still available from noted journalist Karl Ludvigsen, published in 2000. Perhaps someone would care to comment on this book?

This book is the next priority order .I always postponed it of the list. Ludgvisen is old enough certainly to have collected some
    inputs from people of the fifties.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

For a thread title that was not at all defined that way (loads of people have had 9 wins in a row at all sorts of levels) this seems to have generated one hell of an argument!

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

Yes but not in F1, which I think is the point of most of the discussion. The thread seems to have evolved into Ascari's proper place in GP hierarchy, nothing wrong there.

I am intrigued by the "loads of people" who have won 9 on the trot. I thought of Mark Donohue in Trans Am sedans, but even winning 10 of 13 in 68, he didn't quite do this; Tommy Kendall did 11 in a row in 1997, but I don't know how competitive
    that season was. Could you provide some examples of 9 consecutive wins, in a reasonably familiar international series?

In addition to Kendall, I found Richard Petty winning 10 NASCAR races in a row, 1967. That is all I found.
    FAL or anyone, who else won 9 consecutive races?

This topic may be about to heat up again with Vettel's win in Abu Dhabi. A lot of news stories have muddled things by claiming Vettel equaled Schumacher's record of 7 in a row, rather than Ascari's. If they mean 7 consecutive wins in a season, they must say so. This seems grossly unfair to Ascari as there were 7 European GP in 52 and 8 in 53. Had he skipped Indy is 1952, the 7 in one season would easily have been his.
    He was about the only driver of the era to give Indy a serious try, yet his recognition of achievement probably would have been greater had he skipped it. Very hard for him to get much respect these days, and that is a shame.

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by D28
    This topic may be about to heat up again with Vettel's win in Abu Dhabi. A lot of news stories have muddled things by claiming Vettel equaled Schumacher's record of 7 in a row, rather than Ascari's. If they mean 7 consecutive wins in a season, they must say so. This seems grossly unfair to Ascari as there were 7 European GP in 52 and 8 in 53. Had he skipped Indy is 1952, the 7 in one season would easily have been his.
    He was about the only driver of the era to give Indy a serious try, yet his recognition of achievement probably would have been greater had he skipped it. Very hard for him to get much respect these days, and that is a shame.
    They have been mentioning the record of 7 wins in a row has been equalled for current generation drivers. The 9 wins in a row by Ascari is still the overall record since F1 came into inception
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

F1 racing is very poorly reported in N America, a lot of the items here simply say Schumacher's record was matched, no mention of Ascari.
    The entire file of F1 records reach back only 53 years, so its rather dubious to talk of current generation; no other sport does this.
    I am concerned that should Vettel win in Texas, he will be credited with the streak record period, and any mention of Ascari will cease.
    I sincerely hope this doesn't happen, Vettel has years to add all kinds of records, but a few deserve to be held by the initial F1 group.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

I hope not too, the fact is Ascari won 9 in a row that he raced in. Until Vettel achieves that in Brazil, Ascari is ahead and should be recognised a such.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy