Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

Alberto Ascari's Record Of 9 Wins In A Row

Between the 5 June 1952 (Belgian GP) and 21 June 1953 (Belgian GP), Alberto Ascari drove 9 times in a row as the winner over the finish line. But I think, this record is not really a record. Because there was the Indy 500 which was won by Bill Vukovich on 30 May 1953.

I know not all F1 drivers took part at the Indy 500 but it was part of the F1 championship. So the record doesn't count as a record in my opinion.

What do you think?

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Any race on the F1 calender counts for me. It would be like saying Shumi's win at Indy with 6 starters doesn't count.
    All other opinions are wrong....

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic
    Any race on the F1 calender counts for me. It would be like saying Shumi's win at Indy with 6 starters doesn't count.
    No, it counts. I mean the Indianapolis 500 which was part of the F1 championship between 1950 and 1960. The other races are the US GPs. They had took the Indy 500 in the F1 calender to call the championship as a world championship, because almost every GP was in Europe in the 1950s.

The first US GP was on 12 December 1959. In Sebring which was won by Bruce McLaren.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    There are valid arguments for and against the 9 in a row record

On one hand, the 500 was part of the championship. All the 500 winners of that era are also scored championship points so not taking part and not winning it means he didn't win 9 championship races in a row

On the other hand the 500 ran to its own regulations and was never a Formula One race so even without taking part in that he still won 9 Formula One races in a row

In any case 7 or 9 races, its still a record
    I got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time...

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisS

On one hand, the 500 was part of the championship. All the 500 winners of that era are also scored championship points so not taking part and not winning it means he didn't win 9 championship races in a row

On the other hand the 500 ran to its own regulations and was never a Formula One race so even without taking part in that he still won 9 Formula One races in a row

In any case 7 or 9 races, its still a record
    Not really. Michael Schumacher had 7 wins in a row in 2004. Between the European GP (30 May 2004) and the Hungarian GP (15 August 2004).

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cynisca
    Not really. Michael Schumacher had 7 wins in a row in 2004. Between the European GP (30 May 2004) and the Hungarian GP (15 August 2004).
    so? even if you only count 7, Schumacher just tied the record, he didnt break it

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisS
    There are no valid arguments for the 9 in a row record. This is the reason:

Quote Originally Posted by cynisca
    I mean the Indianapolis 500 which was part of the F1 championship between 1950 and 1960.
    The Indianapolis 500 was part of the championship because the FIA sanctioned that... it was part of the championship. Since the FIA are the owners of the title, they alone decide the conditions which make up how it shall be run and won.
    It really doesn't matter what regulations the race itself was run to. By virtue of above, that is an irrelevancy.

http://www.formula1.com/results/season/1953/690/
    The official FIA website counts it as part of the '53 season. This battle is over!
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    it wasn't an F1 race (then again none of the 52-53 championship races were) so for most consecutive F1 wins 9 can be considered correct

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Ascari won in NINE CONSECUTIVE STARTS

nuff said, thats a record in my view
    "Alboreto, into the pits, and im going to stop the startwatch" (Murray Walker, Monaco 1987)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    91 wins, 7 WDC's, 22 consecutive podiums and 13 wins in a single season...

nuff said, that's a record in my view