Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Kris Meeke

Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanvv View Post
    May be so, in Monte Meeke's off on the first stage the "respect the ice" note seems to came when the car was already in trouble.
    Just watched that bit of stage... Paul's call "Easy now Kris, respect the ice" wasn't a scheduled note... it was him realising that Kris was going a bit too quick, given the on-off nature of ice in that section... I guess he was right to try and get Kris to slow a little, therefore it wasn't a late call, just general advice.

2. Likes: A FONDO (6th February 2018)
    Liked 9,310 Times in 4,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    Don't forget - he has won rallys with this co-driver and he must feel comfortable with these notes, otherwise why wouldn't he have changed them by now?
    But he's crashed on a lot more rallies than he's won...

Probably too late to change now anyway.

4. Likes: A FONDO (6th February 2018)
    Liked 1,472 Times in 572 Posts
    Detailed notes are good, but when you go to quicker cars it might become more difficult for the driver and/or codriver to keep up with the notes.
    Somebody who was a test codriver told me that they had to simplify the notes from previous tests when they switched to the new generation WRC car.
    I've difficulties to understand everything when listening to Paul Nagles notes. Ifcourse English is not my native language, but I've got neraly no problems understanding Dan Barritt or Martin Scott. I can't follow it because it is too much information and there is no clear intonation because he has to talk so fast.

But, only thing that is important, is that driver and codriver understand each other. I don't think that is his biggest problem.

6. Likes: A FONDO (6th February 2018)
    Liked 160 Times in 51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dupanton View Post
    there is no clear intonation because he has to talk so fast.
    Ah yes lack of intonation, good point. Different drivers have different preferences, but I think good use of intonation is one of the key elements of good pacenote reading. Timo Rautiainen and Luis Moya (I hope he is doing well) were both very good examples of great use of intonation. Both had a very wide range of vocal scale for different situations. Sometimes Moya used to also point clearly at a corner ahead if he thought it required extra special attention. Curiously both Grönholm-Rautiainen and Sainz-Moya would also quite often talk "off-topic" with each other mid stage. It's funny to look back at Grönholm onboards and see Rautiainen crack jokes mid stage or Grönholm giving Rautiainen some random feedback on different things. I think it was also their way to keep things relaxed enough, not too intense.

Also Sainz had a note I haven't seen other drivers really use, but which I like very much, "para zona rápida" which translates roughly to "fast zone begins" or "fast section begins". It wasn't for straights as such, but it was a note called always at the beginning of a long enough section with only fast speed corners in it. If this type of section was broken up by a medium or slow speed corner, Moya would very clearly and loudly call that particular note and sometimes also use his hand to point at the road/corner ahead. And then call out para zona rápida again, if the fast stuff continued from there again immediately. This note and technique helps a lot with the driver finding rhythm and confidence, as well as reduces mistakes caused by sudden changes of rhythm in the road. As one of the number one spots for mistakes to happen because of pacenotes read too late/too unclearly/with a lack of intonation is when coming from a fast speed into a slower corner with a hidden braking area. If a braking area into a tighter corner is blinded by a short preceding corner, then that type of place is really the number one spot for crashes that have their root cause in pacenotes. Of the top of my head Hirvonen's 2014 Argentina crash is a prime example of this. Another good one would be Hirvonen in 2013 Sardinia.

But yeah it does make sense that the faster the car is through the stage, the less information you should basically have for all around successful pacenotes. There's only so much human brain can process at any given moment.
    Last edited by AnttiK7; 6th February 2018 at 17:51.

Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Well it's hard to separate "not understanding a note" from "not following a note". But it has happened to Meeke multiple times before that he did something that the note said he shouldn't.
    Most clear recent example is the puncture in Finland where it said "don't cut" in the notes and he went in and got a puncture.

Anyway the question now is whether very detailed notes are even necessary with all the video-watching, might even be more important with "specific" notes to clearly remember the corners.
    Ex. "left 3 house" instead of "slight left 3 tightens into 4 narrow, neat exit".

Liked 1,472 Times in 572 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Well it's hard to separate "not understanding a note" from "not following a note". But it has happened to Meeke multiple times before that he did something that the note said he shouldn't.
    Most clear recent example is the puncture in Finland where it said "don't cut" in the notes and he went in and got a puncture.

Anyway the question now is whether very detailed notes are even necessary with all the video-watching, might even be more important with "specific" notes to clearly remember the corners.
    Ex. "left 3 house" instead of "slight left 3 tightens into 4 narrow, neat exit".
    Yeah, even know a driver that gives difficult places a "name", so he remembers it. I had a note "lightning tree" (there was a very distinct tree stump there that was hit by lightning) and pheasant (we encountered one during recce of a difficult couple of corners). I still remember these places now

Liked 3,776 Times in 1,679 Posts
    Kris was testing before Sweden - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFoDsdLAEI8

11. Likes: gorganl2000 (10th February 2018)
    Liked 3,776 Times in 1,679 Posts
    Citroën prepared brand new car for Kris Meeke to Sweden

13. Likes: doubled1978 (15th February 2018),er88 (15th February 2018),GravelBen (15th February 2018),Maui J. (16th February 2018),Mirek (15th February 2018),peg306 (15th February 2018),TWRC (15th February 2018),WUff1 (15th February 2018)
    Liked 1,504 Times in 893 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itix View Post
    Unless my memory deceives me, Paul reads the notes really close to the actual corner... like notes for only one corner ahead. Many other drivers have notes several corners ahead.
    Feel the same. Too late pacenotes call from Paul. But it maybe that what Kris asked him to do. If that continue from rally to rally - Kris like that how pacenotes been call out

Liked 833 Times in 405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KKS View Post
    Feel the same. Too late pacenotes call from Paul. But it maybe that what Kris asked him to do. If that continue from rally to rally - Kris like that how pacenotes been call out
    Not only that, but his pacenotes are very very detailed. In the rush to bring all the information in time Paul might stumble over a word or Kris has a higher chance of misunderstanding. His Mexico crash is the perfect example.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

16. Likes: A FONDO (15th February 2018)