In reaction on the death of CanAm and Formula 1 legend Teddy Mayer, posts accused a certain person or a Manufacturer to be responsible for the killing of a certain Racing Series. In this case; the CanAm. I'm convinced that no brand or individual person can be convicted for the demise of a Motorsport class (one exeption, I'll come to him later)
Autoracing is a Sport where, if the Governing body allows, Innovation is a substantial part of it. It is, and has always been, the pure essence of Motorsport. Many decades ago (and in lesser sence today) the great Races Worldwide, like the Daytona 500, Indianapolis, Le Mans or Sebring, had the primary goal for Racing to give the participating Brands a Showcase to prove their technical supremacy.
Remember the intense involvement and on Track Battles GM and Ford displayed on the NASCAR Speedways back in the 60's. The well known story of Ford's decision to go to Le Mans. "If we can't buy Ferrari, we'll beat them''.
In any clash, technical novelties and innovation were a major factor in the outcome. Jaguar was the first to use disk brakes on their Racing Cars. Look at you own Car now! BMW was the first to test a Turbo under Racing conditions. Mazda won Le Mans with Rotary engine technoligy. Audi with Diesel Power.
It is just to prove that Automobile evolution and development is part of Racing. In fact, the beating heart of it.

Again, if the Governing body give room for a wide scale of Car and Engine configurations, the best Manufacturer will take the rostrums. In the CanAm Series, Porsche took the best advantages of the regulations. As they had done at Le Mans. Why? The German Brand had the supreme technoligy. Lets be honest, the Germans bring about the best scientists and Technologic experts. Don't forget that the US NASA was formed around a German ex-Nazi; Werner von Braun. He helped the USA to put a man on the moon.
Don't get me wrong, I'm no German but a Dutchy. A Countryman of Arie Luyendijk (2 times Indy Winner)

Back in the 70's, Ferrari had a tough time when many voices plead for the outrulling of their Boxer 12 F.1 engine. A certain Mr. Lauda won too many races. Peanuts in comparison to what Senna or Schumacher achieved in later years.
Just another example of how Press and public opinion react on a certain situation.

One other item to mention. With all respect, US Automakers have too long focussed on the demand of their clients. producing Ill handling, bad roadgoing, swerving vehicles. And, actualy proved, too much Petrol consuming Cars. Sorry to say, Japanese and German Cars outgunned the best of GM, Ford and Chrysler. Carsales have dropped down Globaly. But even in these critical times, the US Automakers take the worst of the impact.

Sorry to say (I love exeptional US cars like the Corvette or Viper) American Mfg's stayed too long on their own stand. No feeling with the Global development of Automaking and not inough innovation.
I quit interrest in NASCAR (been to many races and Racing shops) when Toyota got a hold in the Sprint Cup. Another example of the decline of US (formerly established) Motorracing scene.

Dear readers and Racing friends. I've tried to make my point clear. To put the story in a few sentences;
Motorsport is an exibition scene for Brands to show their latest developments.
Only regulations can temper the supremacy of a certain Make, like NASCAR does for more than a half decade.
No single man can be made resposible for the killing of one Racing Series.

One exeption. Bernard Ecclestone.
This grey haired dwarf may be admired for his accomplishments to F.1.
At what costs? He can be made resposible for the killing of the European, later World, Touring Car Series. The demise of the Group C Enduro WC series.
Taking the well established German Production Car series to Global status.
Next to hang it on Gallup's pole before it even started up.
All actions to prevent these huge populair Series to become too populair and take away media interest from his Baby love: Formula 1.
He is, and will be, the supreme dictator of the FIA. Nowadays hidden behind his long time friend and actual President Max Mosley. A lawyer and son of the late WW2 UK Facist leader Oswald Mosley.

Dear readers. Excuses for my limited English knowledge. Nevertheless, enough stuff to react. I'm looking forward to it.

Kodiak