Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Alright, someone may try it some day. And I think you're right, if any race happens it would probably be an F1 race. But IMO, it will be a long, long time until an American OW series attempts it again.

Think about it. OW street races were being added and planned at the rate of 2 or 3 (or more) a year for a while there. Those days are over with and are never coming back.

While someone may try it again, I'd be very suprised to see a new street race anywhere in the U.S. for at least ten years.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think your premise is flawed. The real problem is that CC, like the IRL now, was too weak to draw a crowd at a street race. But it's not the street race that is the problem, it's the weakened position of the racing series.

If NASCAR could go street racing, it would sell out the first year even during todays economic situation. And I expect Rome to be successful for F1.

When the day comes that more than a handful of people care about AOWR again, then street races will be added to the schedule. Right now, the IRL just needs to worry about bringing the interest back to their Indy race.
    "For 80 years this place has run on tradition. From today forward it will run as a business." - Tony George (Failed businessman)

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Monaco
    I think your premise is flawed. The real problem is that CC, like the IRL now, was too weak to draw a crowd at a street race. But it's not the street race that is the problem, it's the weakened position of the racing series.

If NASCAR could go street racing, it would sell out the first year even during todays economic situation. And I expect Rome to be successful for F1.

When the day comes that more than a handful of people care about AOWR again, then street races will be added to the schedule. Right now, the IRL just needs to worry about bringing the interest back to their Indy race.
    First off Formula 1 doesn't care if the street race makes money for anyone but Bernie and they keep finding suckers willing to dump 25 million a YEAR to just get the rights to a GP. The old Molson Indy used to be run with less than 1.5 million dollar budget not that long ago in Toronto and I doubt they are spending more than 3 or 4 now to get the track up and down and do some promotional work.

If NASCAR did a street race it would be HUGE because of the novelty factor and the ability NASCAR has had to draw crowds to the Cup series in particular. I would pay to see it too....gotta say the carnage would be fun!

Seriously tho, I think Deco you are dead on the money in saying it wont happen for a while. That's ok, I would rather a well thought out and well financed proposal was brought to the IRL then some of the half-assed ideas that came out of places like San Jose. The only thing San Jose did right was in the promotion side and that was becuase they hired the guy that Molstar used in Toronto for all those years to set up the marketing and sales effort. Too bad he had a dog of a track to sell....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    If NASCAR did a street race it would be HUGE because of the novelty factor and the ability NASCAR has had to draw crowds to the Cup series in particular. I would pay to see it too....gotta say the carnage would be fun!
    And that's my point. If the IRL was a strong series (or CC for that matter) then street races done right will work.

Deco is blaming street races for their failure, But that's flawed. It was the weak position of the series that caused them to fail.

So I agree that for now, the IRL should stay off the streets until they can bring the fans back to Indy. Because even a free race in Central Park wouldn't be a success right now.
    "For 80 years this place has run on tradition. From today forward it will run as a business." - Tony George (Failed businessman)

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rex, as long as you understand Deco isn't even crazy on road racing from what I have seen, then you can understand why he has no time for street racing. To be honest, it has to be done right or the criticism is warranted...
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    Your premise is deeply flawed.

NJMP, and other permanent circuits, definitely cost more to build. (I do wonder where you got the 150 million figure.) They have a substantially greater pay back though. They are used, that is to say rented, almost every weekend of the year for many racing activities, grassroots motorsport of all types being very alive and well. Both circuits running at the same time many weekends. There is much use during the week for all kinds of activities. The note itself is amoritized over at least twenty years. And last, but not least, the land and facilities have substantial value themselves so that there is still great residual value.

None of the things I mentioned apply to street courses which have to make the entire years income in three days. Apples and oranges for sure.
    NJMP was built because it has a revenue stream of something other then motor races for spectators. Nobody is going to build new tracks in which races for spectators are the reason for construction. If it is a temporary or permanent facility is irrelevant. Using this as evidence against Street tracks for spectator events is nonsense.

Rex Monaco said it better then I did ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    All of the evidence says that 9 out of 10 times street races are a losing proposition. The promoters lose money. The cities never see as many out of towners come to their cities to spend money as promised. And the series never seem to see the increase in their fan base that they expect.

After about 8 or 9 failures in a 5 or 6 year period it will be, IMO, a long time before anyone ever tries to start up a new street race.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWS77
    NJMP was built because it has a revenue stream of something other then motor races for spectators. Nobody is going to build new tracks in which races for spectators are the reason for construction. If it is a temporary or permanent facility is irrelevant. Using this as evidence against Street tracks for spectator events is nonsense.

Rex Monaco said it better then I did ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by downtowndeco
    All of the evidence says that 9 out of 10 times street races are a losing proposition.
    Evidence? What evidence might that be? I am not saying you're wrong, just asking to see said "evidence".

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    9 out of 10 times the races fail or are abandoned within a few years. You can't have any more solid evidence than that. : ).

Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    Evidence? What evidence might that be? I am not saying you're wrong, just asking to see said "evidence".

Gary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The evidence asked for is the 9 of 10 failed street races. I could probably name 9 failed AOWR permanent course races (starting with Portland, Road America, Mont Tremblant, and Laguna - which, if you remember, was replaced by San Jose). I'm sure there are more. This is like a course in lying with statistics.

There is no doubt that making any venue payoff these days is a challenge.