Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last new OW street race in the US ever?

Something to ponder. It's my opinion that with the demise of the Detroit GP this year & the recent failures of San Jose, Houston, Las Vegas & Phoenix we have seen the last ever new OW street race attempted in the US.

With a few rare exceptions they just don't work. The start up cost is high, you are at the mercy of city politics, the courses are often micky mouse and the "fans" they attract often fair weather fans who don't actually follow the series but are just out for a day of sun and fun.

Does anyone out there think anyone will ever again attempt an OW street race in the U.S.? Or will St. Pete & Long Beach be it?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm sure there will still be attempts at it. But I think we've all learned that it shouldn't be done on a regular basis (see the Champ Car buisness model).
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ever? Ever is a reeeeeeeaaaaally long time. I'm sure there'll be more once the economy picks up. Truth be told, the Las Vegas circuit produced a pretty good race.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Pretty cool track. Not so profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by ykiki
    Ever? Ever is a reeeeeeeaaaaally long time. I'm sure there'll be more once the economy picks up. Truth be told, the Las Vegas circuit produced a pretty good race.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No.

I've talked with someone who is a member of a group that is laying the plans to bring street racing back to Denver in 2012. Denver was profitable in the early 2000s and the only reason the race went under was because the primary sponsor Centrix was involved in the sub-prime car lone market and went bust as a precursor of the sub-prime mortgage bust.

The theory is the with a stronger economy the race could be brought back with a low start up cost because the infrastructure is in place and the race already pre-sold to an extent. It's just in the talking stages right now, but its some pretty serious folks in Denver with the cash and contacts to do it.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by downtowndeco
    Something to ponder. It's my opinion that with the demise of the Detroit GP this year & the recent failures of San Jose, Houston, Las Vegas & Phoenix we have seen the last ever new OW street race attempted in the US.
    I think if the market is right for that area and sponsors in place you could see another city have a street race. Ever is a long time and I would say that you could miss the mark on this one unless the IRL folds and then you would be correct. Besides you know what they say about opinions.

With a few rare exceptions they just don't work. The start up cost is high, you are at the mercy of city politics, the courses are often Mickey mouse and the "fans" they attract often fair weather fans who don't actually follow the series but are just out for a day of sun and fun.
    Not unlike some oval tracks out there like Nashville which is a Mickey mouse track. Not unlike Talladega or Daytona were a chunk of those race fans only come to watch the BIG wreck and city politics as the team about the mufflers they are running due to noise pollution.

Does anyone out there think anyone will ever again attempt an OW street race in the U.S.? Or will St. Pete & Long Beach be it?
    I believe there will be another street race in the US and no St.Pete and Long Beach will not be the only ones. Street race have been part of AOW racing history since 1909 just like Indy.
    The Only True Triple Crown Winner-- Al Unser Sr. 1978- Indy 500, Pocono 500, Ontario 500

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Oh, there will be more. Don't you worry about that.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It always comes back to that, doesn't it? "If only a suitable sponsor can be found, street races are viable". People "talk" all the time about bringing a street race to a town. Remember all of the CCWS (& even some IRL) street races that have been in the planning stages in the last five years?

I'm saying that the street race festival model has been shown not to work. If Penske can't make a go of it, no one can. The promoters blow into town with big plans, big dreams and they leave every time with broken promises and worthless contracts. Remember how we all heard about San Jose's "Five year contract"? That was worth about as much as the paper it was printed on.

If someone attempts a new street race, or even tries to revive an old one (Denver) I'll come back and admit I was wrong. But IMO we'll never see a new "festival of speed" attempted again.

Quote Originally Posted by MDS
    No.

I've talked with someone who is a member of a group that is laying the plans to bring street racing back to Denver in 2012. Denver was profitable in the early 2000s and the only reason the race went under was because the primary sponsor Centrix was involved in the sub-prime car lone market and went bust as a precursor of the sub-prime mortgage bust.

The theory is the with a stronger economy the race could be brought back with a low start up cost because the infrastructure is in place and the race already pre-sold to an extent. It's just in the talking stages right now, but its some pretty serious folks in Denver with the cash and contacts to do it.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It always comes back to that, doesn't it? "If only a suitable sponsor can be found, street races are viable". People "talk" all the time about bringing a street race to a town. Remember all of the CCWS (& even some IRL) street races that have been in the planning stages in the last five years?

I'm saying that the street race festival model has been shown not to work. If Penske can't make a go of it, no one can. The promoters blow into town with big plans, big dreams and they leave every time with broken promises and worthless contracts. Remember how we all heard about San Jose's "Five year contract"? That was worth about as much as the paper it was printed on.

If someone attempts a new street race, or even tries to revive an old one (Denver) I'll come back and admit I was wrong. But IMO we'll never see a new "festival of speed" attempted again.
    GP of Indianapolis 2014!
    INDY!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    a more relevant question at this point would be ....'have we seen the last of additional ovals added to the schedule?'
    Sarah Fisher..... Team owner of a future Indy500 winning car!