Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
    I've never been a big fan of his but I was glad he got the chance to put things right in 2008.
    Despite my dislike of him, I'll remember him for the glory days of the team rather than 2007s darkest days.

Quote Originally Posted by PolePosition_1
    If your accusing him of not doing the right thing in terms of lying. I personally don't believe he ever lied. He always told what he thought to be the truth.
    That may be the case. Maybe.

"If he would have admitted at the first World Council hearing that his team made mistakes, everything would have been much easier for him. But we had to press the facts out of his drivers, find evidence in the police files and invest immense time to bring the truth forward.

At the first hearing he reassured us that he had investigated everything and everybody in his team and that only one person had knowledge of the Ferrari papers. But then it became evident that a prominent member of his team - one of his drivers - was in on this. This did not build faith in Ron Dennis"

http://www.formula1.com/news/intervi...7/10/7014.html

That was what I was alluding to. Ron had ample opportunity to behave like a "statesman" in 2007.

He didn't take the first and most important of those opportunities.

Which is a tragedy, because up until then, although I found his personality odious (and, yes, I have met him) I would never have questioned his integrity.

His willingness to be less than perfect with regards to the initial internal investigation raises serious questions about that integrity, especially given his obsessive attention to detail in all other areas of his career.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Not a great surprise, he was standing down at the end of 2007 until the whole Spygate thing came along.

He's certainly played a major part in McLaren's recent success, and can retire quite happy knowing that the gamble to stick Lewis Hamilton in a car so early on was well rewarded.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TMorel
    So with Ron moving on to pastures new, who's in the firing line to get the top job at McLaren?
    Anthony Hamilton

http://photos.spa-networks.co.uk/photos My photos (inc Santa Pod Easter Thunderball, April 2011)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tamburello
    That may be the case. Maybe.

"If he would have admitted at the first World Council hearing that his team made mistakes, everything would have been much easier for him. But we had to press the facts out of his drivers, find evidence in the police files and invest immense time to bring the truth forward.

At the first hearing he reassured us that he had investigated everything and everybody in his team and that only one person had knowledge of the Ferrari papers. But then it became evident that a prominent member of his team - one of his drivers - was in on this. This did not build faith in Ron Dennis"

http://www.formula1.com/news/intervi...7/10/7014.html

That was what I was alluding to. Ron had ample opportunity to behave like a "statesman" in 2007.

He didn't take the first and most important of those opportunities.

Which is a tragedy, because up until then, although I found his personality odious (and, yes, I have met him) I would never have questioned his integrity.

His willingness to be less than perfect with regards to the initial internal investigation raises serious questions about that integrity, especially given his obsessive attention to detail in all other areas of his career.
    I must be honest, I'm suprised at the wording of Max there, 'if he had admitted' implies he lied.

That however is Max's opinion, and wouldn't take it for fact. Notice he does state in same interview that he had no idea whether or not Dennis deliberately concealled anything.

So whilst I remember we've debated this in length, and I've come to have an approach of we'll have to agree to disagree - I personally don't believed he ever lied.

With regards to the statement of he had biggest fine in history of FIA, as if to suggest its worst crime in history of any FIA regulated motorsport, it should be noted that this large fine was only dished out because of the size of McLaren. As Max says in same interview - "Had we to deal with one of the smaller teams, the fine would have been lower."

I must be honest, I'm suprised at the wording of Max there, 'if he had admitted' implies he lied.
    I wasn't actually arguing the 'lie' point, just pointing out that if Ron had taken the matter seriously when he first had the opportunity, as a man with his control-freak obssession should have done, then Spygate would not have been such a big deal.

Why such a legendary control-freak didn't get to the bottom of the issue as soon as the story broke has never been fully answered. Come to think of it, nobody has ever answered it. Not knowing what was going on, being lied to by his employees (which evidently must have happened) just does not add up.

That is why there will always be serious doubts about his actions, his depth of knowledge and his integrity.

With regards to the statement of he had biggest fine in history of FIA, as if to suggest its worst crime in history of any FIA regulated motorsport, it should be noted that this large fine was only dished out because of the size of McLaren. As Max says in same interview - "Had we to deal with one of the smaller teams, the fine would have been lower."
    But it was Mclaren, so it was the biggest fine in motorsport history.

And, as I've said before, that is the real tragedy of it, and it's a tragedy that Ron could so easily have avoided. That's his fault, and his fault alone.

What his motives were, we will never know.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That however is Max's opinion, and wouldn't take it for fact. Notice he does state in same interview that he had no idea whether or not Dennis deliberately concealled anything.

So whilst I remember we've debated this in length, and I've come to have an approach of we'll have to agree to disagree - I personally don't believed he ever lied.

15 September 2007

Max Mosley explained: "In the morning of the Hungarian Grand Prix, Ron rang me and he said, 'I've just had Alonso in the motorhome and he says he's got information and he's threatening to give it to the Federation'. So I said, 'What did you say Ron?'. He said, 'I said, go on and hand it over'.

"I said, 'Ron, you said exactly the right thing'. And then Ron said, 'But there isn't any information'. So I said, 'So it's an empty threat?'. And he replied, 'Yes, a completely empty threat. There's no information, there's nothing to come out; I can assure you that if there was something, Max, I would have told you'.

"Now this was a week after looking me in the eye in the World Council and telling me there was absolutely nothing wrong and everybody had done exactly as they should do, so I believed him. I've known Ron for 40 years; it's very difficult for me, when somebody I've known for 40 years looks me in the eye and says, 'Max, I'm telling the truth with complete sincerity' - you believe him.

"It was only when I got the list from the Italian police (showing) 323 SMS phone calls going over a three-month period between Coughlan and Stepney, (that I concluded) there had to be more to this. You don't get 300 messages arranging a visit to Honda. This is something serious. At which point, I sat down and wrote the letter to the drivers (asking for their evidence), and the rest is history.''

Ron Dennis though insisted that he acted with total integrity throughout the whole affair. "I don't want to get into the detail, but I do want to address one thing, and that is that when someone asks me a question - and I've answered some difficult questions - at the time I made those answers I told the complete truth,'' Dennis said. "At the point of the first hearing, when I was asked the question did I know anything more, the truth was, I didn't.

"The emails that passed between our drivers were as big a surprise to me when I heard, as anyone else - and as I said, if they existed, what I said to Fernando was that he must give them to the FIA. I just want to be very clear that at no stage did I ever say any lie to anybody. I put my integrity above everything. I just want to be very clear about that particular point.''
    Of all the rubbish going around, I think Ron told the truth and was unaware that this had gone beyond Stepney / Couglan as Max later admitted.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2007/...d-to-the-wmsc/

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    For christ's sake turn the page!
    May the forza be with you

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Makes you wonder what happened to Stepney/Coughlan really.

Oh yeah, I remember. Nothing.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    About time he goes.
    I'm not surprised anymore that he didn't see that his team were cheating in 2007, now he can't even see that there is an "E" missing in the McLaren name on the window behind him! :

Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro