Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Is this the end of F1 in its current form?

Bloomberg has announced there will be 533,000 job cuts in the US alone. We can go into detail for pages about how this will spread worldwide and how it will affect the motor industry. Manufacturers will find it difficult to justify spending billions in F1 if they have to sack tens of thousands from their workforce worldwide. Who next will pull out of F1? and who will remain in its current guise?

I predict F1 will not exist in its current form, and both Max and Bernie will be left out if it continues in another guise.

We have to ask ourselves:
    1. Do we want to see the most sophisticated cars driven by the best drivers in the world in F1 or
    2. Do we want to see the best drivers in the world racing in very fast cars?

To reduce costs dramatically:
    1. Ban all on board computers,
    2. Ban all aeros except standard non adjustable front and rear wings (the purpose is to carry advertisements).
    3. Have just one type of dry tyres and two wet tyres.

THIS alone will cut costs dramatically. I have been advocating this for years, but the logic of this seems to be nonsense to most others.

If the name F1 is patented, then call it Formula Premier. There! let the arguments begin.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Valve Bounce
    Bloomberg has announced there will be 533,000 job cuts in the US alone. We can go into detail for pages about how this will spread worldwide and how it will affect the motor industry. Manufacturers will find it difficult to justify billions in F1 if they have to sack tens of thousands from their workforce worldwide. Who next will pull out of F1? and who will remain in its current guise?

I predict F1 will not exist in its current form, and both Max and Bernie will be left out if it continues in another guise.

We have to ask ourselves:
    1. Do we want to see the most sophisticated cars driven by the best drivers in the world in F1 or
    2. Do we want to see the best drivers in the world racing in very fast cars?

To reduce costs dramatically:
    1. Ban all on board computers,
    2. Ban all aeros except standard non adjustable front and rear wings (the purpose is to carry advertisements).
    3. Have just one type of dry tyres and two wet tyres.

THIS alone will cut costs dramatically. I have been advocating this for years, but the logic of this seems to be nonsense to most others.

If the name F1 is patented, then call it Formula Premier. There! let the arguments begin.
    Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on one's viewpoint, it appears as if several manufacturers have committed themselves to F1 as it exists at present: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/7768596.stm

I for one feel that the idea of F1 having to be the 'pinnacle of motorsport' or similar is too vague to define, so is not worth clinging to with the fervour some do. I do not wish for it to be downgraded to something below GP2 or whatever 'feeder' series we end up with in terms of performance, but it is surely possible to reconcile the competing demands of the desire for competitive racing, lowered costs, high performance, driver satisfaction, sporting challenge and so on, without resorting to some sort of 'equalised' or 'one-make' formula. Those tasked with developing F1 cars are, clearly, highly talented people. This ought to be well within their grasp.

For some time, I have felt that F1 with its conspicuous display of unfettered wealth was in danger of becoming too vulgar in the eyes of the wider public, and irresponsible as concerns about the environment grow. However, the economic situation we are now in has hastened this process. F1 simply has to come to terms with economic reality. This means it has to cut back in almost every respect.

I know this might seem like an odd comparison, but we have seen this happen in motorsport before, not too long ago — the death of Super Touring. This was an immensely successful formula for touring cars, which generated massive manufacturer support, huge TV viewing figures, participation from F1 teams and drivers, bigger crowds at the circuits than were being attracted by F1, and an FIA World Cup as its flagship event. What happened? Costs became too high, too many manufacturers weren't getting enough out of their involvement, and it died. There is a comparison for F1 (and the WRC) to be had there.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Well, is there any way to keep the general performance level close to where it has been? I'd like to still see somehow differentiated cars, high-ish levels of downforce, and at least 14k redlines on the engines.

I can understand standard wings, but why non-adjustable? Surely standard wings can be had that still can be adjusted for rake, the teams are still going to practice on fridays before a race, and car setup is, to me, still tantamount to a necessary part of an F1 weekend.
    Formula Platypus 2012

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifter
    Well, is there any way to keep the general performance level close to where it has been? I'd like to still see somehow differentiated cars, high-ish levels of downforce, and at least 14k redlines on the engines.

I can understand standard wings, but why non-adjustable? Surely standard wings can be had that still can be adjusted for rake, the teams are still going to practice on fridays before a race, and car setup is, to me, still tantamount to a necessary part of an F1 weekend.
    You'd get almost the same performance without computers by simply allowing engines of 3 litres.

Why no adjustments? well you could provide standard adjusters but what I am trying to avoid are adjustments to the form and modifications of the wings. I just thought the wings were necessary because we need billboards for adverts on the cars. Once you cut out aero and wing adjustments, there's really very little you can gain from testing - hence a great reduction in costs.

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Valve is on the right track, but get rid of the wings completely and have stell brakes....when all the winged crap has been gone from the nose of a ferrari mac or whatever after an accident, the cars look so much better
    Only the dead know the end of war. Plato:beer:

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by markabilly
    Valve is on the right track, but get rid of the wings completely and have stell brakes....when all the winged crap has been gone from the nose of a ferrari mac or whatever after an accident, the cars look so much better
    Cannot lah!! we need the mobile billboards to stick the adverts on.

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    For some time, I have felt that F1 with its conspicuous display of unfettered wealth was in danger of becoming too vulgar in the eyes of the wider public, and irresponsible as concerns about the environment grow. However, the economic situation we are now in has hastened this process. F1 simply has to come to terms with economic reality. This means it has to cut back in almost every respect.
    I agree, and in some ways the current "crisis" may prove to be a good thing for F1 in the longer term.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Valve Bounce
    we need the mobile billboards to stick the adverts on.
    Adverts? What adverts? No one will have any money left to sponsor anyone!

Apart from that, your suggestions seem more appealing than the current way that the sport is heading

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    It depends what you mean by the 'end of F1 in its current form'. I believe that F1 will continue to be the premier motorsport category. If the current economic conditions continue for too much longer then I think it inevitable that another couple of the manufacturers would call it a day. What we could be left with is F1 which looks more like it did in the 1970's before it hit the bigtime. Would this be such a bad thing?

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    The way Mad Max is changing the rules in Formula One...
    spec engine et all,

It's likely that the series will no longer be of interest to the Mfg'rs.

We may see the big boys moving over to Sports Car Racing, putting the 24 hour Le Mans race...

as the focal point.