Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question Is it safe for Toyota to quit now?

As Honda have bailed out of F1 first, can Toyota quit now without losing face, or do they have to win one first?
    If legislation makes you equal, you aren't.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    When it's a matter of fast, its a matter of time...

It sounds a bit ironic the biggest manufacturer pulls out of the competition. Not sure how do their success in F1 measured. Their involvement had contributed to their product disseminated more worldwide. I doubt that they will do it in near time of future with or without the win.

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Not so long ago John Howett said:
    "Generally we are assuming we are here until at least 2012. The ambition is to win and continue the contribution, if you like, to Formula One. The issue is we don't want a standard engine. If it is forced through, then it (quitting) is not a decision we will take here, it will be taken by the board in Japan, but they want a degree of differentiation between teams."

When asked what he believed would happen if the FIA's standard engine plans went through, Howett said: "I think you will see manufacturers potentially leaving F1 if there is a standard engine."
    It's difficult to know how much has changed for Toyota since then and whether Honda's withdrawl will be just the first.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    They might want to get a race win first, afterall they entered F1 in a big ball of promotion and money with a very real goal that has never been realised. Trouble is that if the money isn't there then it won't matter what they want to do.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Let's be honest: Toyota are only in F1 becuase their bitter rivals Honda are.

Change "are" to "were" and there's absolutely no other reason for them to flush half a billion dollars down the toilet every year just to scrape the occasional lucky podium.

If the FIA push ahead with the standard engine this will give Toyota the perfect opportunity to pull out without losing face.

Even without the standard engine I can't see them remaining in the sport for more than a couple of years unless they hit gold next season and start winning races.

You can bet that right now Williams are urgently considering an alternative engine supplier.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    They will stay at east until the end of 2009 as they have a chance to go forward with the new regulations and will make it even sweeter knowing that Honda packed up already.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brockman
    Change "are" to "were" and there's absolutely no other reason for them to flush half a billion dollars down the toilet every year just to scrape the occasional lucky podium.

Even without the standard engine I can't see them remaining in the sport for more than a couple of years unless they hit gold next season and start winning races.
    I don't think Toyota should pull out at the moment though. 2008 showed promise in terms of speed, at certain GPs. I can't recall off hand but Trulli put in a handful of more-than-decent quali performances. Timo Glock seemed to improve during the course of the year too. I feel that Toyota are at a strong point which is going to get better and it would not be wise to pull out just yet.

That is, of course, failing a regs/rules change which falls against them (which isn't exactly out of question amid the present dross.)
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Toyota should get behind williams, get the best of Toyota and the best of Williams and merge it into 1 team, they could be onto a winner, Williams would get more funding, they have the experiance, and Toyota would still be in F1 but wouldnt be as expensive for them.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RWD
    Toyota should get behind williams, get the best of Toyota and the best of Williams and merge it into 1 team, they could be onto a winner, Williams would get more funding, they have the experiance, and Toyota would still be in F1 but wouldnt be as expensive for them.
    Unlike Honda, Toyota do have sponsors so why mix it with Williams and all?
    They are already better than Williams, take a look to this years standings.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would hope Toyota stay but if the economic downturn continues and car sales remain in the doldrums, and if the team once again fail to achieve anything significant in 2009, how could Toyota justify flushing all this money down the F1 toilet? And with Honda gone there is now one less reason to stay.
    Blackadder! Blackadder! With many a cunning plan,
    Blackadder! Blackadder! You horrid little man.