Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts

Alonso threatens to quit in 2010 if...

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/03122008/...quit-2010.html

...they adopt the stupid standardized engine rules.

I completely agree with his comments and will be right there with him leaving the sport as it will be pretty much a diseased carcass of the sport I used to like.

My only hope is for LH to win again in 2009 so that I won;t feel bad abandoning F1 by 2010.
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The thing is - and the idea of standardised engines doesn't appeal to me either - all the cost-saving exercises that are being implemented/mooted are designed to safeguard the very existence of Formula 1. I think you clearly need to retain the spirit of competition though and that would be removed with a standard engine, so it is a step too far.

But here we have Alonso complaining about a step backwards from 'futuristic' cars with driver aids. If he wants to compete to win against the best drivers then he ought to drive whatever the current formula is. Otherwise then certainly he should retire with his two championships and maybe he could take a 2005-spec car and drive it around a private test track all he likes.

I don't see why Hamilton winning again should make a difference - a lot of people suffered through some mind-numbingly boring seasons of Ferrari dominance (during which they made a mockery of the 'sport' at times) - why would a few extremely close championships where Hamilton winds up winning be a problem?

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Not so long ago Sebastien Loeb was saying he would quit WRC if the FIA introduced Super 2000-specification cars.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree with some of what he says but am dissapointed he rue's the demise of drivers aids. I thought he would be happier

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knock-on
    I thought he would be happier
    I think Fred likes the idea of having the ability to improve the car over the course of the season. He makes the gadgets work IMO. I also don't think Fred won two championships on style points! I hope these latest rule changes don't destroy the art!
    May the forza be with you

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    More of them should do the same.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    Not so long ago Sebastien Loeb was saying he would quit WRC if the FIA introduced Super 2000-specification cars.
    I agree with Alonso's viewpoint about F1 and not Loeb's about the WRC (unless they introduce Group N, in which case I'm with him).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazio
    I think Fred likes the idea of having the ability to improve the car over the course of the season. He makes the gadgets work IMO. I also don't think Fred won two championships on style points! I hope these latest rule changes don't destroy the art!
    Fred didn't win on style but driving agression IMHO. I would think that the move away from driver aids is right up his street

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knock-on
    Fred didn't win on style but driving agression IMHO. I would think that the move away from driver aids is right up his street
    Fair point.
    I just feel like F1 is instituting drastic changes too rapidly! I hope I'm wrong
    May the forza be with you

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I agree with Fred and Loeb. The FIA World Championships are not charity foundations.
    Formula 1