Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I for one have never understood CC's teams/the series hesitancy to run the Indy 500.

Perhaps money is the issue, perhaps they are afraid of running poorly and looking bad(given the last 3-4 years, I doubt this, they can't look worse!).

In my mind running Indy(well) with 4-8 cars will enhance the series image, make the drivers and teams look better, and be an overall benefit to AOWR. With CC going even more international in 2008 this becomes even more true/relevant. If they are truly expanding beyond the NA market in a legitimate capacity, the cache of the Indy 500 can only help them.

How that impacts the IRL...I don't know, but it won't hurt the Indy 500, that much is sure. Beyond that, I imagine the impact would be relatively small, smaller than the impact CC teams participating in the Indy 500 would have for them. My .02 cents.
    Racing season is soon upon us!:smokin:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss Ghoul
    I for one have never understood CC's teams/the series hesitancy to run the Indy 500.

Perhaps money is the issue, perhaps they are afraid of running poorly and looking bad(given the last 3-4 years, I doubt this, they can't look worse!).

In my mind running Indy(well) with 4-8 cars will enhance the series image, make the drivers and teams look better, and be an overall benefit to AOWR. With CC going even more international in 2008 this becomes even more true/relevant. If they are truly expanding beyond the NA market in a legitimate capacity, the cache of the Indy 500 can only help them.

How that impacts the IRL...I don't know, but it won't hurt the Indy 500, that much is sure. Beyond that, I imagine the impact would be relatively small, smaller than the impact CC teams participating in the Indy 500 would have for them. My .02 cents.
    Those are good questions.

First why would CC endorse TG's race? All it does is give TG and his league credibility.

Second, what has the 500 done for the IRL in terms of increased attendance or tv ratings for the rest of their season, nothing.If it doesn't do anything for the league what would it matter to CC? CC should continue with its own events and not rely on one race.
    Champ Car Fan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss Ghoul

I wish they ran to whip the tail of AGR !

Seriously though some of the 33 drivers are not cracked up for the job at the slow end of the field, maybe have not raced for a year or even more and I feel that it is more dangerous now than ever for that reason. I know that is not what you were meaning by your comment but I feel that it is valid. Ask Bruno J.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    Even some of the IRL teams who already have equipment are struggling with money issues.
    Happens when sidepods become a significant part of a charity effort. Undermining the value of sponsorship effects all forms of racing. If there is value to getting CC drivers at Indy in 2008, it will be a good start to getting this open wheel mess behind us. Who's up for a TG tar & feather photo-op?
    LBGP: The Sound - The Spectacle. Racin' at its finest.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weeflyonthewall
    Doesn't the legacy of The Mile go back to the follow-up weekend following Indy? When the other league decided to go to Texas and CC dropped the US500 at Michigan the writing was on the wall. Some fans thank the only solution is to throw money at it.
    May be this will happen in 2009.