Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 2,262 Times in 893 Posts

Wales Rally GB Old "new" stages spectator tips

Ok so the mid-Wales stages are back in the event this year for the first time in a while. I was just looking for a bit of local knowledge on good spots etc.

My thinking is Sweetlamb might be the busier of the stages, so I'm planning to go to the first stage in Hafren. What is everyone else doing?

Looking at the pathetic bit of map you get on the website/planner, does anyone know what would be the best direction to walk into the stage from the spectator car park/area?

http://www.walesrallygb.com/308_599.php

It's sad really how little information you get about the stage itself. They do their best to try and pen you into one area by pretending there is just one viewing spot.

I looked at my old programmes but I couldnt find anything of anything of use. So if anyone has a map or any knowledge of the stage it would be greatly appreciated.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    go to myherin.from the car park part of the stage go 2 miles in the stage direction towards the windmills.Great open viewing.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Wish I was going for the friday, cant get time off work though!

Looking forward to sat and sun though, and AVOIDING the hill at Halfway!!

Liked 106 Times in 60 Posts
    Il be going to sweetlamb even though I know itl be busy. Its the stage ive always wanted them to bring back so itl be there by the water splash.

lol I had forgotten which stage had the massive hill to walkup, il be avoiding it this year!

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    I got my old RAC maps out from 1994/95 - and the stage was Sweetlamb Hafren - all one stage, about 22 miles. Have just watched the in car of McRae in Hafren in 1994 and there are spectators all the way through. Sadly, it will not be like that this year. I'll hopefully be going to the Nant Melen hairpin -which I did in 1995/97/2000 - but I expect it to be crazy as that seems the only 'spectator area' - what a joke - if you don't get there early enough, you can't see anything. While I understand the reasons, they are misguided - you should be able to spread out.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 2,262 Times in 893 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    I got my old RAC maps out from 1994/95 - and the stage was Sweetlamb Hafren - all one stage, about 22 miles. Have just watched the in car of McRae in Hafren in 1994 and there are spectators all the way through. Sadly, it will not be like that this year. I'll hopefully be going to the Nant Melen hairpin -which I did in 1995/97/2000 - but I expect it to be crazy as that seems the only 'spectator area' - what a joke - if you don't get there early enough, you can't see anything. While I understand the reasons, they are misguided - you should be able to spread out.
    I think I will stand at the hairpin on the second run as it is near the car park. Im definately going to get there early and walk into Hafren for the first run. I think it will just be a snap decision which way i go once I get on the stage. Hopefully it will be a clear morning, there seems to have been a fair bit of fog about for the past couple of years.

Actually AndyRAC do you know if there is anything worth seeing before or after the hairpin in the stage?
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi
    I think I will stand at the hairpin on the second run as it is near the car park. Im definately going to get there early and walk into Hafren for the first run. I think it will just be a snap decision which way i go once I get on the stage. Hopefully it will be a clear morning, there seems to have been a fair bit of fog about for the past couple of years.

Actually AndyRAC do you know if there is anything worth seeing before or after the hairpin in the stage?
    Not sure, they no longer show the maps of the stages to spectators - don't want spectators straying away from the 'viewing areas'. Will have a look at the old maps when I get home.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    This is exactly why I spent my money last weekend to go to the RAC and can't be arse with this. WRC is a joke these days.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There`s good `in-car` of Hafren and Myherin stages (full length) from 2007 and 2008 Welsh Historic Stages Rally on http://www.martymccorrmack.com Sweet Lamb is only 5.1 km and the finish is in the bowl area before the `ford` this year.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My bad, it`s http://www.martymccormack.com , one `r` in McCormack. Sorry.